Build 2013: If dreams come true

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
We are all hoping to hear some sort of announcement about self publishing for Xbox One tomorrow during Build 2013.

That would give Xbox One an immediate advantage because when it come to development, Microsoft will be on top. Their platform will have the better development tools and better API's, and we should see a lot of similarities with the WinRT framework.

What I am hoping to see in addition to that is exclusive developer API's for both the Xbox One controller and Xbox One Kinect. If developers can self publish apps/games and also take advantage of Kinect, it is going to attract a lot more developers than PS4. Developers will be able to innovate with Kinect and the Xbox One platform, and at the same time be confident that everyone with an Xbox One will be able to use all of the features the app provides.

The developer of Minecraft shared this tweet and for me I think it has some meaning: https://twitter.com/notch/status/347616784309960704
If Xbox One wasn't allowing self-publishing, he would most certainly be allowed to talk about it. This tweet has given me some hope, so we'll see soon enough what it means.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Here's the question: Do they need to control it? If you release a crappy game, it won't sell. I'd take having a bunch of dust-gathering crap games sitting in the background if it meant a much-deeper lineup of high-quality indie games. Seeing the makers of New N' Tasty and Day Z say that they won't release their games on Xbox One because they cannot self-publish (even though the games are essentially made already) annoys me more than having to not buy crappy games that are on the marketplace.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's the question: Do they need to control it?

To a degree, yes. Otherwise, you end up with opportunistic jerks filling it up with spyware and viruses. Just look at the android market.

However, if they could pull something similar to what they do on Windows Phone, where it's monitored but not to the point of censorship, it could be something really neat.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm all for indie games and whatnot, but I'm not really cheering for a totally open market where anyone can submit anything without MS checking it first. Potential spy/malware combined with mandatory kinect = oh boy.. For mine and everyone's safety, I'd prefer MS to approve somehow everything that goes into the market, but make it easy for the small man to get their stuff there at the same time.

WP seems to have a pretty good system where it's not filled with crap and spyware but still so that anyone who really wants to develop can get their stuff there.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
WP seems to have a pretty good system where it's not filled with crap and spyware but still so that anyone who really wants to develop can get their stuff there.

This is what I'm strongly hoping is the plan. Microsoft has been doing a lot, both in the PC and smartphone realm, to make sure there's enough freedom to install the software you want at all experience levels while still keeping the crap out. I'm one of those who felt windows 8 was a huge step in the right direction.

If the Xbox was allowed a way for the lowbies of the software world to put up their wares after being checked for safety, it would be a huge selling point.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
MS seems to be teasing the idea of hooking up the 360 to One HDMO via pass-through -- what if they opened up restrictions on 360 marketplace for Indie developers, but maintained QC on the One marketplace? Seems like 360 will continue to be the best place for Indies to find customers for the next 2-3 years given the massive install base. Agree with Coreldan re: concerns over spy/malware on a Kinect required system like the One.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss