Headset may now be bundled in but...

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
For sake of discussion lets just assume it is the case.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-04-microsoft-will-now-include-a-headset-with-xbox-one

I can see why their doing it, but do you think it makes them look like they are only being reactionary?

They must really be feeling the pressure to show that even with kinect what you get is worth the extra cost compared to what you get with ps4.

Personally I think a year free of xbox live gold would've been better. Show what you get with it, people get used to having it and it directly makes people think it only makes ps4 $50 cheaper or whatever it is.
I don't think people will think like that with headset.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Three months for free should be enough to give them a taste. They'll know by then if they'll keep the service or not.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The console isn't out for another 4 months and there are still loads of details that need to be finalised.

The anti MS brigade are just going to jump all over every bit of info between now and November and keep anything Pony does on the back burner.

I do like your idea of free gold membership though - For the price of a game you get a year of everything. Why not skip the free games for 360 in October and give everyone gold for a year instead.

The Hustleman

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
For sake of discussion lets just assume it is the case.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-04-microsoft-will-now-include-a-headset-with-xbox-one

I can see why their doing it, but do you think it makes them look like they are only being reactionary?

They must really be feeling the pressure to show that even with kinect what you get is worth the extra cost compared to what you get with ps4.

Personally I think a year free of xbox live gold would've been better. Show what you get with it, people get used to having it and it directly makes people think it only makes ps4 $50 cheaper or whatever it is.
I don't think people will think like that with headset.

Microsoft is the Mitt Romney of video games - they flip flop to both sides of an issue if it benefits them.

But this is nothing new, when I bought my 360 it came with a headset in the box

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The console isn't out for another 4 months and there are still loads of details that need to be finalised.

The anti MS brigade are just going to jump all over every bit of info between now and November and keep anything Pony does on the back burner.

I do like your idea of free gold membership though - For the price of a game you get a year of everything. Why not skip the free games for 360 in October and give everyone gold for a year instead.

Uhh..."Pony?" What are they, centaurs?

But there aren't a lot of details left to confirm, in my opinion. If/when (and how) the family sharing will return is probably the only major thing. That, and if the USB receiver for the PC can work with the wireless 360 controllers, and is the wired 360 controllers work on the One. They'll also have to clear up if headsets will be forwards- or backwards-compatible (depending on the angle form which you look at the matter), but it seems like most of the stuff is cleared up now.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Uhh..."Pony?" What are they, centaurs?

But there aren't a lot of details left to confirm, in my opinion. If/when (and how) the family sharing will return is probably the only major thing. That, and if the USB receiver for the PC can work with the wireless 360 controllers, and is the wired 360 controllers work on the One. They'll also have to clear up if headsets will be forwards- or backwards-compatible (depending on the angle form which you look at the matter), but it seems like most of the stuff is cleared up now.

Unfortunately my dislike of Sony is probably on par with your dislike of EA. Occasionally im a bit childish and the P goes in before my fingers can reach the S

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Since we're in XBox 180 mode, Microsoft will capitulate on this too. Just watch XBox Live Gold become free, unbundle Kinect and remove ads on the dashboard. Gamers should not let up.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since we're in XBox 180 mode, Microsoft will capitulate on this too. Just watch XBox Live Gold become free, unbundle Kinect and remove ads on the dashboard. Gamers should not let up.

Seriously?? Why don't you just ask them to give you the console for free as well.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
They said that 360 headset isn't compatible uses a different connector.
They did say that they will bring out an adapter though.

3months gold is nice for a oh look you get this thrown in for a sweetener. But i don't think most people would think it knocks a lot of the price off the sku.
With 3 months people would still think "and i have to add gold to price", 1 year people would think "and that includes gold".
Different emphasis and impact in my eyes.

I'm talking from perspective of people who see the xbo as being expensive even with kinect thrown in.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I do wonder how long the anti/negative/toxic MS views will last.

Wonder if after month of release and people are actually playing and reviewing games if things will smooth over quickly.

The other day they was asked if you could use kinect to read qr codes, they replied yes, and peoples comments make it sound like MS was trying to make it the selling point of the kenect or something. Just crazy, kind of mass hysteria in my eyes.

Positive, negative, is just MS being bad bad bad lol

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I hope this is true... Just like the Xbox 360 came with a headset, a basic headset but, it did the job. A lot of people don't want all the swearing that goes on in a public chat (for example Black Ops 2) and this makes it better with out having to spend more cash after blowing $500 on the system...for something that SHOULD come with the basic system

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems like it was possibly some kind of marketing mistake.

I think their trying to fix the swearing etc with their new reputation system.

The headset isn't integral to the system especially now it has kenect but i can see why people wouldn't mind headset being bundled, especially as it was before.
Is less personal though i guess.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it was possibly some kind of marketing mistake.

I think their trying to fix the swearing etc with their new reputation system.

The headset isn't integral to the system especially now it has kenect but i can see why people wouldn't mind headset being bundled, especially as it was before.
Is less personal though i guess.

Honestly, the Kinect bundling doesn't help the mic status, in my mind. I don't buy that the Kinect got THAT MUCH better at sound processing, plain and simple. I don't see how it would filter out all background noise AND offer decent voice quality. On top of that, it doesn't help solve the issue of audio output. I cannot wear the Kinect on my head to hear chat, and the game sounds drown out chat from the TV, so it offers no benefit. I'd honestly skip using any chat features over using the Kinect, because it simply doesn't offer a good voice chat experience.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you watch the kinect sound demo?
Looked or should i say sounded very impressive. As long as it works as demonstrated.
It could filter out spoken words when people in room looked like they couldn't even hear amongst lots all noise, and it was "very" clear.

As for hearing the chat, no idea how they plan to level out the sound so could be a problem, or may not be especially once people get used to it. May be no different to watching a movie and having to hear the dialogue.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you watch the kinect sound demo?
Looked or should i say sounded very impressive. As long as it works as demonstrated.
It could filter out spoken words when people in room looked like they couldn't even hear amongst lots all noise, and it was "very" clear.

As for hearing the chat, no idea how they plan to level out the sound so could be a problem, or may not be especially once people get used to it. May be no different to watching a movie and having to hear the dialogue.

Hearing a movie's dialogue isn't even close to the same. With games, you need the sound to react, in many cases. It's hard to hear someone over bullets, and it's hard to hear someone coming up behind you with a bunch of muffled 12-year-olds cursing, or even with teammates talking. That's part of what I like about my Turtle Beach, that I can adjust game and chat levels with separate volume knobs, depending on the situation and the game. There's honestly no way that a Kinect can fix the problem, the technology is simply not capable of something that it does not have the hardware to do.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
So had you watched the demo or not? It was a serious question.

Same or not, i don't know what they've implemented to help on the hearing side of things.
Buy the adapter and you can continue to adjust your knobs on your turtle beaches, I'm sure they may even be better than MS ones.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't use my mic anyway. My Xbox sound gods through my computer input and out through my header, and I use Kinect as my mic.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
When a company keeps capitulating like this over and over, they lose all credibility and sales go down to zero.
that's one of the reasons i wondered if it would be a good idea to change their minds and start bundling it in.

Thought that gold would be a better way to "seem" price competitive, without uturn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa