MS PR at its best? Kinect & advertising

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
You have something against Bengay? Or you just realized that the Xbox is supposed to make money for Microsoft?

"I can't stand advertisements on things that I pay for...that is why everyone refuses to pay for cable, to read magazines, and to drive on highways littered with billboards"

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
You have something against Bengay? Or you just realized that the Xbox is supposed to make money for Microsoft?

"I can't stand advertisements on things that I pay for...that is why everyone refuses to pay for cable, to read magazines, and to drive on highways littered with billboards"

Not really a fair comparison. Microsoft can stay afloat without the massive advertisement stuff. Cable TV isn't profitable without advertisements (even if they are overkill in their quantity). In this instance, you are purchasing the hardware and paying for the software (Xbox LIVE Gold subscription). Such things typically do not come with ads (subscriptions on forums and paying for apps often means a removal of ads). That we're paying for the service AND getting ads, when competing platforms do not offer this, is different than the situation with TV providers.

Seriously, what is the upside to this console? It's like they're TRYING to devalue the brand or something, because all I keep seeing is announcements of the negatives with the thing. I don't see Microsoft giving interviews about the positives.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
It's like they're TRYING to devalue the brand or something, because all I keep seeing is announcements of the negatives with the thing. I don't see Microsoft giving interviews about the positives.
this was my main point of the post.

I didn't understand what their point was but, i understood your reply so I'll go based on that.
if he was saying i think its bad, or wrong then i never said that. Don't have a particular view on it at moment.

My point is that at best it's very contentious. Especially when there's the fear of snooping, and kinect watching you regardless of how valid or not it may be.

Why aren't they pushing and talking about the things that everyone can get behind?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think this kind of kills any speculation on whether or not the Kinect will spy on you, in my opinion. When you say "Kinect will be used for advertising," that tells me things like voice collection will occur. That, or it might mean it'll save who you are, then pick "preferred" ads for you when you log in. Basically, it'll keep track of who is logged in, tell that to Microsoft, and have them pick potentially-relevant ads. I don't like that one bit, and it's part of why I've made the statement that I'd legitimately wrap my Kinect in foil.

NaNoo123

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
At least it can be switched off, but given add targeting etc, i would also think different levels of on/participation opt in would be good.

Given all the negative press, i just find it hard to believe this is the sort of things their discussing.
Like i said, I'm not saying they should lie but at least attempt to move discussion onto positive things like games, about how they talked to developers, plans for indie, how cloud/cost of hosting will make a big difference, whatever.
Try to affect the narrative for the better.

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When you say "Kinect will be used for advertising," that tells me things like voice collection will occur.

Did you read the article? It says that they don't collect data. It sounds like the advertising will be interactive, like using voice commands and gestures in the actual advertisement.

From the article: "whereas, from the advertising point of view, we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse, so we can?t do certain things.?

That, or it might mean it'll save who you are, then pick "preferred" ads for you when you log in. Basically, it'll keep track of who is logged in, tell that to Microsoft, and have them pick potentially-relevant ads.
Facebook, gmail, and many other websites already do this. They keep track of what you click on in order to better target advertising.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you read the article? It says that they don't collect data. It sounds like the advertising will be interactive, like using voice commands and gestures in the actual advertisement.

From the article: "whereas, from the advertising point of view, we have a slightly more limited set, which is designed to protect the user. The company is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse, so we can’t do certain things.”

Facebook, gmail, and many other websites already do this. They keep track of what you click on in order to better target advertising.

Yeah, they're "protecting the customer," until a big check gets flashed at them. I have 0 faith in a company to protect my privacy when money becomes a real factor.

As for that second statement: That is why you'll find nothing but my name and birth date on my Facebook account. It's also why I gave up Android, have nothing to do with making a Google account, and use no Google-owned services (no more Android and never used GMail, and deleted Chrome shortly after first installing it) except YouTube, when necessary.

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As for that second statement: That is why you'll find nothing but my name and birth date on my Facebook account. It's also why I gave up Android, have nothing to do with making a Google account, and use no Google-owned services (no more Android and never used GMail, and deleted Chrome shortly after first installing it) except YouTube, when necessary.

Well, at least you're consistent!

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
1st, I never have liked ARS Technica as I find many of their articles extremely biased, same with most tech blogs though ;(. In any case, I'm sure they will advertise on it, and I'm sure PS4 will do the exact same thing.

I will say though, so far, MS PR for the Xbox one has been awful. Good thing they got rid on Mattrick as he clearly screwed up the launch of the product. I mean seriously, even though it is a little less powerful than the PS4, so was the 360, so that wouldn't have made much of a difference. Personally, I liked the older DRM system they had because thye were basically trying to do a steam-like model for the store, and as a steam user, I Liked it. The problem was that 1) I don't think console gamers were ready for it, its clearly a different market than PC gamers so they should have attacked it differently, and 2) the PR was awful. I personally don't see the xbox having to be connected to the internet as an issue as mine is always connected to it anyways, but then to go and say "well you can buy an Xbox 360" as an answer was awful PR.

Hopefully if they play their cards right, they might be able to do well, but MS main weakness, still, is marketing...

TheSuperShoe

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping that Microsoft is just getting the negative things out of the way first. Then near launch, just have good press. A "make them hate us for the bad stuff, let them forget, then drown them in good news" model.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm really hoping that Microsoft is just getting the negative things out of the way first. Then near launch, just have good press. A "make them hate us for the bad stuff, let them forget, then drown them in good news" model.
I thinks it's been more about getting the bad executives out of the way first.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The reason I care is how Microsoft is charging people more and putting little inconveniences everywhere. We have to buy the Kinect, making the console $100 more than the PS4. The controllers are going up $10. The Play & Charge is going up $5. The generic headset is going up $5 (when purchased separately). They put EVERYTHING behind the Xbox LIVE Gold paywall, which is also $10 more than PSN+. On top of charging their customers more than the competition, they then have to litter their nice-looking dashboard with ads to boot? Now they're using the Kinect to shoot ads at us?

This is the kind of stuff you expect from Facebook. It's also the kind of stuff people get mad at Facebook for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99