The Xbox One Advantage

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So after all this back and forth were back to what most people thought in the first place - the specs work out roughly the same for both consoles.

Its all up to the game developers now.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So after all this back and forth were back to what most people thought in the first place - the specs work out roughly the same for both consoles.

Its all up to the game developers now.

No, no, no. From a console-only standpoint (meaning before we consider what the server-based computing can bring, if developers mess with it), we are still talking about a decent gap between GPUs (which is speculated to result in a 50% computational gain for the PS4), along with a DDR5-vs.-DDR3 RAM comparison (which we don't know the effects of just yet).

The "who cares?" that we end up with is that Sony is the ONLY publisher/developer who might take advantage of the computational advantages of the PS4, as most of the third-party companies will still have a canned setup of their games that's mirrored on each console.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, no, no. From a console-only standpoint (meaning before we consider what the server-based computing can bring, if developers mess with it), we are still talking about a decent gap between GPUs (which is speculated to result in a 50% computational gain for the PS4), along with a DDR5-vs.-DDR3 RAM comparison (which we don't know the effects of just yet).

The "who cares?" that we end up with is that Sony is the ONLY publisher/developer who might take advantage of the computational advantages of the PS4, as most of the third-party companies will still have a canned setup of their games that's mirrored on each console.

Yes, Yes, Yes

Speculation and we just don't know - your words.

On paper PS4 is more powerful. Bottom line is they will more than likely be the same. And I mean "same" as in Joe Public wont be able to tell the difference.

Also you cant remove the speculated cloud power from the Xbox one if you are going to take into account the speculated power of the PS4 GPU.

How the devs move forward with the games is what will make the difference - my guess is we wont start seeing gaps appear between the two until a few years into the consoles life cycles.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Add to that the rumor that the One may have a faster GPU.

Yeah, it's a rumor, but so is a lot of this stuff right now

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Yes, Yes

Speculation and we just don't know - your words.

On paper PS4 is more powerful. Bottom line is they will more than likely be the same. And I mean "same" as in Joe Public wont be able to tell the difference.

Also you cant remove the speculated cloud power from the Xbox one if you are going to take into account the speculated power of the PS4 GPU.

How the devs move forward with the games is what will make the difference - my guess is we wont start seeing gaps appear between the two until a few years into the consoles life cycles.

No. There are things we don't know. We DO know the GPUs in the systems, and the PS4's is more powerful. That's not a "we don't know." It's not theoretical. The GAP between the two is unknown, but it's been stated as sitting in the 50% area, so even on the low-end, it would be a big leap. Yes, the usability for that might be undetermined for a while, but the cloud stuff is a MUCH greater unknown, as using such a feature can restrict people to online-only play, which developers might not want to do every time.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
We do not know the final clock speeds of the gpus so the performance of them is still really not known as core speed is important just as number of cores. Even if they remain unchanged, the "50% more powerful" shouldn't translate into much of a difference in actual practice. In the end there will be pretty much parity just as there is between the 360 and ps3 graphically. Its all the services and other innovations, features and exclusives that are going to be what really sets the systems apart, not graphics.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
To me the power of the system is negligible. The average consumer won't be able to tell the difference. The real advantage comes from the games and how they play. For me I think Xbox's real advantage comes from Kinect being included with every system. Now game developers can implement Kinect features knowing it will be usable because everybody will have it. This opens the door for all kinds of new game play features.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not exactly knowledgeable on the inner workings of video cards, but my 5870 has started acting up again (already RMA'd it twice and it's now out of warranty), anyhow, wanted to get a new card that was => 5870 for as little as possible... Did some searching and found a Geforce 660.... From a couple of sites, I found that on paper, the 5870 is better (more cores), but per benchmarks I found, the 660 beats the 5870. Granted, I think the 660 is a newer generation, so it's probably just more efficient with what it has.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not exactly knowledgeable on the inner workings of video cards, but my 5870 has started acting up again (already RMA'd it twice and it's now out of warranty), anyhow, wanted to get a new card that was => 5870 for as little as possible... Did some searching and found a Geforce 660.... From a couple of sites, I found that on paper, the 5870 is better (more cores), but per benchmarks I found, the 660 beats the 5870. Granted, I think the 660 is a newer generation, so it's probably just more efficient with what it has.

I have a 660 and can vouch. Very happy with my decision to get it. I mainly got it for BF3, and it can run BF3 at 55-60 fps completely maxed out.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, 53Mhz is a fairly big increase when you consider the number is just 800mhz to begin with. I dunno whether it makes any real difference or not, though, but I also suppose that the difference is potentially much bigger on a device with fixed hardware as opposed to a computer that comes in so many hardwares that it will hardly ever be properly optimized/used per games.

But I'm not tech savvy anyways.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk if this is a correct analysis, but assuming you just take a 30FPS game, you might see a 1.98FPS increase... Double that for a game running 60FPS @ 800MHz... 63.96 FPS @ 853...

Again, just pulling numbers together with no real working knowledge of how it all works... But if true, I wouldn't see the difference.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a BF player, but it sounds like it won't be using smart glass on the One, which is a bit of a letdown. It will be doing some sort of web access.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a BF player, but it sounds like it won't be using smart glass on the One, which is a bit of a letdown. It will be doing some sort of web access.

But if you think about it that means you can play in commander mode from anywhere with a wifi connection.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
But if you think about it that means you can play in commander mode from anywhere with a wifi connection.

And this is why I created a thread about this, which got shut down even though I had read official information.

Somewhere on the battlefield 4 site, there is information saying that commander mode is for Android and iOS tablets only....

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
And this is why I created a thread about this, which got shut down even though I had read official information.

Somewhere on the battlefield 4 site, there is information saying that commander mode is for Android and iOS tablets only....

Yeah I could have sworn there was a thread for this already but couldn't find it so just posted the info here - if its all web based then windows tablets and PC's should have no issue running it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb