The Xbox One Advantage

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The upcoming reorg could play a big part on how things are going to be executed going forward. You'd have to think this potential is a part of the 3 screen vision and such.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I'd be 100% sold on Kinect if we indeed see most if not all of the key Windows 8 apps on Xbox One. Given that Kinect allows us to interface with X1 using touch-like gestures, it'd make sense to have apps such as Flipboard, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, banking and many others on X1. It'd be fairly straightforward to use and would offer another incentive for Windows 8 and X1 developers to back their respective platforms, so as to potentially expand into the other. Imagine, you want to buy something on XBL but need to check your bank balance, so you'd say "Xbox, open Barclays..." log yourself in via Smart Glass, and so on.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The article pretty much sums up why I'm interested in the X1. Especially when I had no interest in the previous generation and if it wasn't for the X1, I wouldn't get any next gen console either. I think the PS4 is a rip off for me. It needs to do more to warrant buying such device and for me X1 does more and enough to warrant getting one. Not to mention it sits in perfectly with my Win 8, Surface RT and WP8 (a bit of a ******, but not enough to be interested in fe. 360 atm), while the only ecosystem Sony has is PSVita and perhaps some Sony smart-TVs?

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Good article, with a lot of stupid comments.

I don't know why I read the comments, I know what to expect, but for some reason I am always compelled to look there for a hint of reason, and the sad truth is that I rarely find it.

My favorite comment:

The PS4 doesn’t have as tough DRM restrictions, faster RAM, and is focused on gaming, not TVs or monthly subscriptions.
I think Sony has won this battle.
Plus, I think cloud gaming is overrated for now.

Outdated, disproven, and tired subjects all rolled into such a short and sweet package. Now I remember why I read through all of these comments :grin:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I don't know why I read the comments, I know what to expect, but for some reason I am always compelled to look there for a hint of reason, and the sad truth is that I rarely find it.

My favorite comment:

Outdated, disproven, and tired subjects all rolled into such a short and sweet package. Now I remember why I read through all of these comments :grin:

They'll complain about the lack of indie games but will hardly play them, and will completely discount Project Spark. It's one thing to be a fan of PS4, but it's another to hate, such a waste of time.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They'll complain about the lack of indie games but will hardly play them, and will completely discount Project Spark. It's one thing to be a fan of PS4, but it's another to hate, such a waste of time.

well, MS recently lifted the 40k fee for releasing an update on XBox... That is definitely a good thing for indie devs

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

My favorite comment:

Pretty funny. WPC forums are such a breath of fresh air and maturity compared to a lot of whats out there.

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The PS4 guys will always find something to hate the X1 again. I'm not a hardcore gamer (anymore) so all the other things like controlling the TV via hand gestures make me like the X1. It truly is a entertainment device not just a gaming device.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk. (Spell check done after hitting send.)

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if I buy a PS4, it will only be used when gaming, but with the One, it will be used every day, gaming or not... I guess that could be a drawback from an hours of operation standpoint, but it's totally worth it (at least if it works as well as MS touts it as working).

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'm still so confused do I get PS4 or Xbox One.

Why to get PS4

• Don't care about pure shooters. Playstation historically has had much more exclusives and game studios making more mature titles (Nino Kunil, Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted and Quantic Dream games)
  • PS4 looks to be slightly more powerful on pure hardware, costs 100 euros less than Xbox one. Kinect packaged with Xbox One, don't care about it
  • TV functions might just be pointless on Xbox here in Finland. Brings no added value. Both play Netflix just as good.
  • Playstation has already been dominant here and I got a feeling PS4 will be much more dominant than PS3 was. Will that affect my local services and software available on the console?

Why to get Xbox One

• Don't play many console games these days. Xbox One at least tries openly to be more than a gaming box. Like that
  • Invested to Microsoft ecosystem and I trust Xbox One to mature a lot better than PS4 software wise
  • This might just be the reason to get Xbox One for me. Loved my PS3, but I just coulnd't get used to that controlled and those sticks being at the same level. Xbox 360 controller was great and Xbox One seems to only improve the original concept
  • Microsoft seems to have finally started truly investing on a exclusives. Quantum Break is something I'm really looking forward to. Though will we continue see AAA exclusives from them?

Oh yeah and every gaming site has become unreadable after the Xbox One vs PS4 wars. Almost forgot all this after the 5 years of serenity. Just hate terms of "true gamers" and all that nonsense.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to accept that the PS4's power is a meaningful selling point. It didn't really translate to anything major this generation, for starters. The additional server computations for the Microsoft console also gives it infinite POTENTIAL computing power, and allows for dynamic environments in games (like Titanfall).

Also, Sony's lost Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and now, Kingdom Hearts from its exclusivity ranks. Microsoft, meanwhile, has opened 5 nee first-party studios, and they claim to have more games in-development than ever before. It sounds like Sony is coasting more than Microsoft, on the games front, but that's just my analysis of that.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to accept that the PS4's power is a meaningful selling point. It didn't really translate to anything major this generation, for starters. The additional server computations for the Microsoft console also gives it infinite POTENTIAL computing power, and allows for dynamic environments in games (like Titanfall).

That was because of the propiarty cell arcitecture of PS3. It was immensly complicated to develope and dev tools really got hang of it just some years ago. Now the difference is visible with games like Last Of Us and other high profile PS exclusives.
This time both consoles are to a point just boxes with modified X86 PC hardware inside. Dev tools wont be a problem this time.

Enchancing the game via cloud is still unknown and we need to see it actually making a difference. It's up to devs to do extra work and make it work with the cloud. Example on Forza 5 that got most advertised for using cloud, only uses it for some AI

All that aside, on the 3rd party game front that will be 98% of the games, it wont likely make no real difference if one box is just slightly more powerfull..

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That was because of the propiarty cell arcitecture of PS3. It was immensly complicated to develope and dev tools really got hang of it just some years ago. Now the difference is visible with games like Last Of Us and other high profile PS exclusives.
This time both consoles are to a point just boxes with modified X86 PC hardware inside. Dev tools wont be a problem this time.

I would call the GDDR5 of the PS4 a unique choice...much like the cell processor in the PS3. We can compare benchmark numbers all day long and still not understand in the slightest the actual development implications of such a hardware decision. In reality, it might take a decade to figure it out and take advantage of it. Same goes for the ESRAM of the Xbox One.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it an "advantage," necessarily. If the DDR5 in the PS4 is much faster than the ESRAM+DDR3 setup in the One, then the half-gig loss in volume by the PS4 won't falter against the One because it'll still be significantly faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon