"Sleeper" Games...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so there's lots of games that grab the headlines when they're released and people buy them in their millions (well maybe not millions).

But there's quite a few quality games out there that don't get highlighted. And being old, you can snap them up pretty cheaply.

One that I loved playing recently was "The Saboteur", great storyline and gameplay, and will keep you going for literally hours. The developers (Pandemic) got broken up after this game as they way overspent in putting content into it.

The Saboteur - Xbox 360 - IGN

Another one I enjoyed (although more well known) was Red Dead Redemption.

What are your hidden treasures?

Last edited:

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I remember that game, I saw some footage of it look good and lots of people online said it was good.

It a shame such games just get forgotten.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My favorite Video Game Franchise to tell you all is MEDAL OF HONOR. I really enjoy them especially the last two installments; MOH 2010 & MOH Warfighter although Warfighter didn't really do well at sales cuz people say it sucks. But I love these games as compared to Battlefield and Call of Duty franchises because MOH is the most AUTHENTIC game franchise ever made....all based on Tier 1 operators and inspired by real life experiences.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I completely agree about the MOH franchise. I know one of the directors in EA and they spent a lot of effort into getting the tactics and gun behaviour just right. I also know someone who's "worked" with the SEAL teams, and has commented on the realism.

CoD has got all of the kids online because of the variety of maps/games/lobbies, I guess.

I also preferred the story line of the MOH campaigns. Much more emotional involving than in CoD.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another good one I ran across was Sniper : Elite. A pretty straightforward FPS/Sneak-em-up, with the added bonus of some fabulous CSI-inspired death sequences (you can watch your bullets tear through someone's eyeball and skull in glorious slow motion.

Gameplay isn't that deep, but it's a really satisfying way of bumping your GP count..

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Another good one I ran across was Sniper : Elite. A pretty straightforward FPS/Sneak-em-up, with the added bonus of some fabulous CSI-inspired death sequences (you can watch your bullets tear through someone's eyeball and skull in glorious slow motion.

Gameplay isn't that deep, but it's a really satisfying way of bumping your GP count..

Sniper: Elite looks excellent, I love watching the game on YouTube specially the slow motion parts.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I completely agree about the MOH franchise. I know one of the directors in EA and they spent a lot of effort into getting the tactics and gun behaviour just right. I also know someone who's "worked" with the SEAL teams, and has commented on the realism.

CoD has got all of the kids online because of the variety of maps/gaes/lobbies, I guess.

I also preferred the story line of the MOH campaigns. Much more emotional involving than in CoD.

Wow..glad to find another MOH fan. You still play Warfighter? We can be friends. I need a fireteam buddy and some online cheevos...how about that?

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I also play Warfighter but just cant get into it like I do with BF3. I spawn, dead. Spawn again, dead. I still enjoy it. The only mode I like playing is control sector/sector control.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I could not get on with Medal of Honour. I was getting sniped from nowhere, frequently. Prefer Battlefield. Defence grid is my choice, and it was free a while back. I bought it yonks ago though, well worth it. Warp looked good, but I am waiting for it to drop to 400 points. Nearly bought Lost Planet 2 recently as it is on offer on Xbox for ?4.49.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, another game I liked was Spec Ops : The Line

A pretty standard COD campaign type game, but the most compelling story line that takes you to some pretty dark places. Emotionally challenging.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Mirror's Edge

Most innovative game I have played in a while. I loved the first person free-running. New one coming for next gen consoles.

Also, a game that has been described as Mirror's Edge meets Dead Island called Dying Light is coming.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Beat Hazard from the indie section of the Arcade is great. Its only problem is that it's limited by the 360's poor album tagging and such, and it doesn't read from an MP3 player. The game is basically Asteroids, but with an Audiosurf flavor. The game's weapons and the overall intensity of the game (which, again, plays just like Asteroids/Geometry Wars) change with the intensity of the music, and it's really cool.

BackstabberDC

Dec 1, 2017
Visit site
Sleeper games are usually indie games that don't have big budget for marketing so they often go unnoticed. There were some that got some attention later but there are still many I never even heard of and are probably quite good. ID@Xbox has a good library. If you like space, check out Starpoint Gemini 2 on Xbox, I have many hours in it on PC and XB1 version is upgraded and has new and better UI. With base game you also get Origins DLC for free (took me 50+ hours to beat it) which is a full first game ported to new engine.

Richard Loveridge

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so there's lots of games that grab the headlines when they're released and people buy them in their millions (well maybe not millions).

But there's quite a few quality games out there that don't get highlighted. And being old, you can snap them up pretty cheaply.

One that I loved playing recently was "The Saboteur", great storyline and gameplay, and will keep you going for literally hours. The developers (Pandemic) got broken up after this game as they way overspent in putting content into it.

The Saboteur - Xbox 360 - IGN

Another one I enjoyed (although more well known) was Red Dead Redemption.

What are your hidden treasures?

Red Dead Redemption isn't a sleeper. It sold by the bucket load. And it's sequel is the best selling game in PS4 and Xbox One this Gen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos