A friend gave me this idea after buying two chromecasts. He told me "when I get my X1, gonna plug it in the back. Never have to switch inputs. I can snap other apps to the side of it while watch whatever. And anyone can stream stuff to my TV when they come over. Whatever funny videos or music and stuff without using smartglass."

Sounds like a smart idea?
    07-26-2013 08:10 AM
    Xbox one already includes Miracast which means you can push your PC, Surface, Android phone etc. to it, and I'm sure in future, your Windows phone to your screen.

And as you can already play Netflix etc. on the Xbox One, not sure what the gain of a Chromecast is...other than if you like letting Google know even more about your life.
    07-26-2013 08:20 AM
    Chromecast is...other than if you like letting Google know even more about your life.
    Dont know why that end part is there when we already know what MS does with the NSA. But anyways I didn't know Miracast was on the X1. And Chromecast isn't just for Netflix man.
    sharon gabrielle likes this.
    07-26-2013 08:27 AM
    I would say that with Miracast, the Xbox One can already do anything Chromecast does AND more.

However, Chromecast lets you continue to use your device for other things since it's not simply mirroring the device, but the possibilities and features are far less. Chromecast also doesn't really have support for Microsoft products, while Miracast will support any platform that wants to use it.
    07-26-2013 08:33 AM
    I'd rather have my cable box plugged into the back of the One.
    Last edited by sinime; 07-26-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    07-26-2013 09:02 AM
    Both are NSA spybots.
    /sarc
    vertigoOne likes this.
    07-26-2013 11:01 AM
    I'd rather have my cable box plugged into the back of the One.
    Yeah, same. Unless there would be a way to attach both, I'd rather go for my cable box. This way the X1 will also be of more use to my fiancee.
    07-26-2013 03:55 PM
    I would say that with Miracast, the Xbox One can already do anything Chromecast does AND more.

However, Chromecast lets you continue to use your device for other things since it's not simply mirroring the device, but the possibilities and features are far less. Chromecast also doesn't really have support for Microsoft products, while Miracast will support any platform that wants to use it.
    To be fair, you can also do this with an Xbox One. Windows 8.1 lets you use a Miracast display to extend the desktop, so you can have two different things on each display. With the 360, you can also use the Xbox as a Play To target, which means you can switch apps all you want while a video plays on the Xbox (mobile.HD is great for this, since you can use DLNA streaming even with MKV), and you can also use SmartGlass. SmartGlass in particular works the exact same way that Chromecast does- it sends a weblink to the device for the device to play directly.

I would assume all three options will be possible with the Xbox One. There would be little reason to remove those choices.
    07-26-2013 04:00 PM
    Not sure why ms hasn't made that play to feature a bigger deal
    07-26-2013 04:20 PM