09-18-2013 05:12 PM
146 ... 23456
tools
    The possibilities aren't enough of a selling point for me, but that's just me. I don't have a strong desire to use my Xbox for more than gaming. I'm not a Netflix/Hulu subscriber. I have my PC connected to my TV, the same one my Xbox is connected to. I do all of my media consumption on there (except for listening to music on my phone while not at home). I use all of the non-gaming apps that I need on my TV through my desktop PC. Project Spark looks cool and all, but it's not one of the games that grabs my attention, as I am more into the shooter and sports genres. I might mess with it a bit, but not heavily. I get the potential for use, but the whole non-gaming experience stuff just doesn't intrigue me at this time.

My whole point is that while I get the potential and all of that, I'd rather see them provide a solid product BEFORE making it a required-purchase accessory. If people were required to pay $100 for the first Kinect when the 360 launched, they would have been pretty irritated, I would imagine. Paying an extra $100 for an unproven technology that ended up mostly a gimmicky flop? If that happens now, it'll be pretty disheartening towards the users, and if it gets back to developers that people aren't pleased with/interested in the technology (despite already owning it), that might have as much of an affect on developer commitment as anything.
    08-24-2013 12:25 AM
    As I've said before, I get what MS wants with the Kinect. I've used my first generation Kinect while playing Madden 13 to change and audible out of plays. I actually do use it while watching Netflix and Hulu Plus. But like Keith said, its really hit or miss and I find myself having to shout things 5,6 times to get the menus to pop up.

Also, I honestly have nothing against change. Especially when it comes to technology. Mp3 and iPods' came to the forefront, I was right there ready to rid myself of my CDs. I hardly buy movies and TV shows box sets and mostly stream stuff. I don't buy physical books cause I have my Kindle. I'm a big fan of Xbox Live Arcade and Games on Demand (when there are sales of course). I just have no interest in Kinect.
    08-24-2013 08:04 AM
    Considering what has been promised to developers as a guaranteed control scheme, why do any of you think it's even remotely reasonable to screw them over?
    08-24-2013 08:30 AM
    Considering what has been promised to developers as a guaranteed control scheme, why do any of you think it's even remotely reasonable to screw them over?
    I highly doubt EA or Ubisoft will lose any sleep if the Kinect wasn't guaranteed. Sure, they might be pissed, having dropped resources into the features. But that's all these companies do is drop money on useless games and sequels anyways. They'll get over it and release Madden 3000 and Assassins Creed 25, respectively.
    08-25-2013 12:57 AM
    I'd rather not see it included, but as an optional accessory like with the 360. It's kind of creepy having an always on eye following you even when the console isn't on.

It would also bring the price down to a range that people could actually afford. Instead of just the wealthy owning them. I feel like Microsoft is making their products more and more exclusive.

Sent from the stars...
    08-25-2013 02:31 AM
    I'd rather not see it included, but as an optional accessory like with the 360. It's kind of creepy having an always on eye following you even when the console isn't on.

It would also bring the price down to a range that people could actually afford. Instead of just the wealthy owning them. I feel like Microsoft is making their products more and more exclusive.

Sent from the stars...
    They've already said that the thing doesn't have to be plugged in, so the spying-while-off issue isn't really a problem now.
    08-25-2013 10:38 AM
    Isn't going to be a kinectless unit sold and that's a good thing because 100% adoption rate means nothing but good things for getting developers developing.

The thing can't just spy on you period let alone offline... Take the tinfoil hat off and realize most of the negativity has been spun up by Sony.... Which has breached everyone's privacy more than enough in the last number of years.
    08-25-2013 10:44 AM
    Motion controllers are the wave of the future, Microsoft is just getting ahead of the curve here.
    08-25-2013 01:29 PM
    Motion controllers are the wave of the future, Microsoft is just getting ahead of the curve here.
    Haha Nintendo's been there for years.

Sent from the stars...
    08-25-2013 06:39 PM
    Ahead of the curve? Have you heard of this 1989 motion tech?

nintendo-power-glove.jpg
    08-25-2013 09:37 PM
    "..it's so bad!"
    08-26-2013 12:49 AM
    Ahead of the curve? Have you heard of this 1989 motion tech?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nintendo-power-glove.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	41337
    Uh, what does that have to do with anything? He didn't say Microsoft was the first for motion controls. Pretty sure the tech and concept has been around for decades (kind of).

What he's saying is that the market is mainstreaming motion/gesture control. The technology is becoming more accurate and more affordable every year.

Microsoft was smart and invested in a company/tech a few years ago that places them ahead of the curve. The Kinect is far superior in concept and execution than the Wii and PS Move.

For them, gesture (and voice) is a primary form of interaction going forward. Its not just an "accessory." one of the quickest ways to speed up technology is normalize it or make it standard.
    08-26-2013 09:52 PM
    He said that Microsoft is ahead of the curve. No, they waited for a technology to develop and popularize (like the Wii), then they followed suit. They're basically doing what Apple does--wait for someone else to dictate the market, then use your brand to take that market over.
    08-26-2013 10:55 PM
    He said that Microsoft is ahead of the curve. No, they waited for a technology to develop and popularize (like the Wii), then they followed suit. They're basically doing what Apple does--wait for someone else to dictate the market, then use your brand to take that market over.
    The Wii and the Kinect are two completely different things. If you think the Kinect was nowhere to be found in Microsoft Research until the Wii was revealed, then you are mistaken.
    08-27-2013 08:00 AM
    At the same time, to think Microsoft has led the charge in motion gaming is silly, at best.
    08-27-2013 12:26 PM
    At the same time, to think Microsoft has led the charge in motion gaming is silly, at best.
    Seriously? No one said they have "led" the charge. We're simply saying that they are positioning themselves a head of the curve with the new Kinect.

And yes, a device that can detect your motion without you holding something (and use voice control) is AHEAD of a device that still requires you to hold something. That's why Microsoft invested in PrimeSense's technology.

I don't know what your problem with Kinect is, but you seem completely devoted to belittling it and dismissing Microsoft's success with it. Did it catch you masturbating and send the photo to your wife or something?
    08-27-2013 08:09 PM
    No, they're not ahead of the curve. They've just made better tech. The Kinect's not even the first sans-controller form of interaction on the 360. Saying that the Kinect is ahead of the curve is like saying that iOS is, when it's just refining the tools of the competition and making a bunch of money as a result.
    08-27-2013 08:54 PM
    No, they're not ahead of the curve. They've just made better tech. The Kinect's not even the first sans-controller form of interaction on the 360. Saying that the Kinect is ahead of the curve is like saying that iOS is, when it's just refining the tools of the competition and making a bunch of money as a result.
    Ok, whatever you say. Better tech doesn't qualify you as being a head of the curve?

I'm pretty sure iOS was a head of the curve when it launched in 2007 as it completely redefined the mobile phone market. Yes, touch screen operating systems were available before. But what they did with it pushed the market (or should I say pulled the market). Even if the technology already existed, if what you do with it changes the market and standardizes the market, then yes, you are ahead of the curve.
    Last edited by spaulagain; 08-27-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    paulxxwall and Vallos like this.
    08-27-2013 09:26 PM
    Wow.... Folks get really worked up over inanimate objects.
    Robert Carpenter likes this.
    08-27-2013 10:08 PM
    You do realize that when you have BETTER and more advanced tech than others, that makes you AHEAD of the curve, right?
    08-28-2013 03:37 PM
    You do realize that when you have BETTER and more advanced tech than others, that makes you AHEAD of the curve, right?
    Clearly common sense and logic is completely out of the question when Keith discusses the Kinect.

He seems to have a blind hate of the device.
    08-28-2013 05:53 PM
    Clearly common sense and logic is completely out of the question when Keith discusses the Kinect.

He seems to have a blind hate of the device.
    Go back to the first page of the thread - I asked Keith why he disliked the Kinect. He gave a pretty grounded and comprehensive answer. There is no point attacking someone because his opinions and circumstances differ to yours or anyone elses.
    08-29-2013 06:24 AM
    It's perfectly fine to not like the Kinect.

But thinking that it would be good strategy to create a sku without it, and basically make everything they promised developers a lie, isn't exactly well thought out.
    08-29-2013 10:09 AM
    It's perfectly fine to not like the Kinect.

But thinking that it would be good strategy to create a sku without it, and basically make everything they promised developers a lie, isn't exactly well thought out.
    And as I said before, what are the developers going to do? Not develop for the console?
    08-29-2013 10:42 AM
    And as I said before, what are the developers going to do? Not develop for the console?
    Yeah, I don't get the problem with doing so. It didn't kill the 360 to not have a Kinect in every bundle. I get that they want to push the tech, and that's why I even suggested a compromise of not offering the option for 6 months to a year. What it boils down to is Microsoft is forcing all Xbox One owners to purchase a Kinect without proving its value and quality beforehand. If this was the third-generation Kinect, and the second was a high-quality product, it would be different.

Instead, the first-gen Kinect had loads of input lag and ignored commands until the fifth time you said them (assuming you didn't just get frustrated and close the disc tray yourself). There were neat features of the Kinect, and it has loads of potential, but I really dislike the idea that they are expecting everyone to pay an extra $100 for the console on what amounts to users' hopes that it will be 5 times better (because that's probably the low-end of what the improvement needs to be to make the games responsive). Even the demo that I saw showed noticeable lag, and that means that fast-paced games like shooters (which could be argued to be the console's main selling point) might not work well with the Kinect just yet (maybe tweaks and such since that demo will prove to make it more responsive).

I don't know that it REALLY matters to me, though I know it will to many. I've accepted having to buy the Kinect, but it also means I will be waiting until next year to do so (probably would have happened either way, but I would have been more-likely to get it this year if it was $400). It also means that I will have time to read reviews about the Kinect (as I'm 99% sure I am the first person I know who will take the plunge on it, so I cannot test it out first-hand before purchase, most likely). If it turns out that the second-gen Kinect is lag-prone again, it's going to cause problems. No one will like it if using the Kinect slows down your gameplay and gets you killed in shooters (though non-shooter fans won't care about it). However, it will mean waiting for a significant price drop or a non-Kinect option before I buy it, because I simply cannot justify the waste of $100 for a piece of tech that won't do its job when I want it to (as I don't do Netflix of any of that, I'd want it only for its gaming purposes).
    08-29-2013 11:39 AM
146 ... 23456