Rumors Xbox one with out kinect

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've read on rumors of an Xbox one with out Kinect for 399$ maybe Sumner 2014 I so don't need a Kinect never liked there games

False rumor. Microsoft has already stated that all of these rumors are false and any future rumors are also false.

Also, You don't have to play Kinect games in order to enjoy the accessory. It will be used for system functions too.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Will it have to sit right in front of me and could I hang it up on my wall

From the demo video they put out you can be 6ft tall and stand 1 foot away from it and it will pick you up completely. Probably will have some sort of fixings for putting it on a wall

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
False rumor. Microsoft has already stated that all of these rumors are false and any future rumors are also false.

Also, You don't have to play Kinect games in order to enjoy the accessory. It will be used for system functions too.

In fairness, the system functions aren't enjoyable to everyone. I personally find them cumbersome and a waste of time, but that's just me.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Normal non-kinect games will use it too to some extent, at least I would expect many x1 exclusives to, so its not about having to sweat around and jump while playing :D

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but given the current reactions thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave in on this feature. Honestly, it's the #1 feature I dislike about the console's bad parts, and offering a non-Kinect version would be something to get me to buy the console sooner (maybe have enough money at/after Christmas for it, but would probably wait until mid-2014 at the earliest otherwise).

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In fairness, the system functions aren't enjoyable to everyone. I personally find them cumbersome and a waste of time, but that's just me.

Keith - I know your not a fan of the Kinect - and I will concede that some of the Kinect 1 features can be cumbersome - I'm just curious as to how you can dismiss something you haven't even used yet? Kinect 2 is "supposed" to be leaps and bounds better than the first for system functions.

As Coreldan mentions stuff that the Kinect will do in games like Dead Rising 3 - where it uses the mic to pick up sounds in your room that may alert zombies to your location. Leaning sideways in FPS games to give you a peek round corners and im sure game devs will come up with many more imaginative uses for picking up either you or the controller position to affect and enhance how you play your games.

You've got to at least concede that you will have to give it at least 3 months of use before dismissing it entirely as "not for you".

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Keith - I know your not a fan of the Kinect - and I will concede that some of the Kinect 1 features can be cumbersome - I'm just curious as to how you can dismiss something you haven't even used yet? Kinect 2 is "supposed" to be leaps and bounds better than the first for system functions.

As Coreldan mentions stuff that the Kinect will do in games like Dead Rising 3 - where it uses the mic to pick up sounds in your room that may alert zombies to your location. Leaning sideways in FPS games to give you a peek round corners and im sure game devs will come up with many more imaginative uses for picking up either you or the controller position to affect and enhance how you play your games.

You've got to at least concede that you will have to give it at least 3 months of use before dismissing it entirely as "not for you".
and that's ok but either way if in three months I decide its not for me im still stuck with it I can't sell it nothing word going around the internet or more like a question is what to do if and when your Kinect breaks what can you do and not even Xbox has an answer to that

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
and that's ok but either way if in three months I decide its not for me im still stuck with it I can't sell it nothing word going around the internet or more like a question is what to do if and when your Kinect breaks what can you do and not even Xbox has an answer to that

There is no decision to be made about if it's for you or not. It's part of the console. If the Kinect 2 isn't for you, then Xbox One isn't for you.

Your Kinect has about the same chance of breaking as your actual console.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I don't see how it's rules out that they would sell spare Kinects. The problem with this is though that everyone has one and short from it breaking, there is no need to buy another one, which mean that selling it as accessory compared to controllers is hard. But I think they would be stupid not to sell spare Kinects somehow as it is required to run the game. It does have it's own removable plug and all that, so replacing it isnt hard as long as you get one somewhere.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
There is no decision to be made about if it's for you or not. It's part of the console. If the Kinect 2 isn't for you, then Xbox One isn't for you.

Your Kinect has about the same chance of breaking as your actual console.
there's only two games that are using the Kinect 2 only 2 that I've researched none of the big hits bf4 cod forza use the Kinect at least from what I've researched but maybe in the future and there's no guarantee they will so when they do then I'll buy one I .i tryed the first one but none of the games I played used it so I sold it but I did give it a try .they gave us an option to turn it completely off but they still want it connected why I tryed to get an answer for that one and no luck

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

It's because I simply don't like the concept. I'm just not a fan of talking to my console; it feels weird. Part of it is that I've never really used my Xbox for much more than gaming--I don't use Netflix or Hulu or Internet Explorer or anything like that on my console. I turn it on and play a game, and I don't need the system's help in ejecting a game. I get the usability of the system controls, but they're just not what I do with my console. I've got my PC connected to my TV for all of the extra, non-gaming features that people use their consoles for (watching videos, listening to music, surfing the web, etc.). I'm just not in the Kinect demographic is all.

As for what it CAN do with games, that's cool. The Dead Rising stuff sounds really neat, but it's not one of the games I would get. I've not played the first two, and I'm not a big zombie person as it is. The FPS stuff, IDK. Call of Duty and HALO don't use a cover system, so I'm not 100% sure how those would work with that idea. The whole leaning thing has always been more of a third-person features, so that's the one thing that MIGHT be of use to me. However, it's still not something that I would consider as worth the extra $100 investment over the cost of the 360.

I mean, I can't really give it 3 months before judging it because I don't see how it's going to magically become useful for me. I mostly play Call of Duty and HALO, and the usability of the Kinect for online FPS matches is limited, in my opinion. Everything you do on a controller is so fast-twitch that I don't think it'd be worth it to retrain my brain to do something like wave my hand to perform and action I typically do with the press of a button.

Now, to finish off, I have to repeat something I've said before. None if this means that I wouldn't CONSIDER the Kinect. My issue has never been with the Kinect itself in this matter. Heck, it's not greatly about the inclusion of it with all consoles (thus raising the price to something I don't care for). My complaints have basically always been with the always-connected requirement of the Kinect. That bothers me, whether people want to call it ridiculous paranoia or not. I mean, add in all of this NSA stuff that's been going on (along with the allegations of cooperation against Microsoft), and it's just unsettling. I mean, I do hate that the thing is $500, and that WILL be a deciding factor as to why I won't be getting this console in the near-future, but my questioning of the usability of the Kinect for me is a fraction of my displeasure with the idea of HAVING to plug in an Internet-connected camera in my room every time I want to do something that I don't even need it for.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
there's only two games that are using the Kinect 2 only 2 that I've researched none of the big hits bf4 cod forza use the Kinect at least from what I've researched but maybe in the future and there's no guarantee they will so when they do then I'll buy one I .i tryed the first one but none of the games I played used it so I sold it but I did give it a try .they gave us an option to turn it completely off but they still want it connected why I tryed to get an answer for that one and no luck

Forza 4 has limited Kinect functionality, and they made a Kinect-enabled game in Forza Horizon. I doubt that they pass up Kinect features in Forza 5. Battlefield is a different matter, but it's not one of the games I'd be looking at getting (especially at launch), and I don't see the FPS genre as lending itself to much Kinect usability myself. You could have a few voice commands here and there, but when you're supposed to be talking (through your headset--the Kinect will always be a crappy mic) to get things done, also giving voice commands to your own character can get in the way of team communication, I think.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Forget about the games and apps that will use it, many will. But it's more about the system.

When you are playing a game and you want to snap an app to the screen like Skype or Internet Explorer, that is when Kinect will be very convenient. There is no way you will be able to snap an app to the screen without 4 or 5 button presses, and it will take even more time if you have a lot of apps to choose from in order to find the one you're looking for.

With Kinect, you can snap an app to the screen with a simply voice command. I don't know about you, but I think a voice command will be much preferred over 5 button presses in this scenario.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It's because I simply don't like the concept. I'm just not a fan of talking to my console; it feels weird. Part of it is that I've never really used my Xbox for much more than gaming--I don't use Netflix or Hulu or Internet Explorer or anything like that on my console. I turn it on and play a game, and I don't need the system's help in ejecting a game. I get the usability of the system controls, but they're just not what I do with my console. I've got my PC connected to my TV for all of the extra, non-gaming features that people use their consoles for (watching videos, listening to music, surfing the web, etc.). I'm just not in the Kinect demographic is all.

As for what it CAN do with games, that's cool. The Dead Rising stuff sounds really neat, but it's not one of the games I would get. I've not played the first two, and I'm not a big zombie person as it is. The FPS stuff, IDK. Call of Duty and HALO don't use a cover system, so I'm not 100% sure how those would work with that idea. The whole leaning thing has always been more of a third-person features, so that's the one thing that MIGHT be of use to me. However, it's still not something that I would consider as worth the extra $100 investment over the cost of the 360.

I mean, I can't really give it 3 months before judging it because I don't see how it's going to magically become useful for me. I mostly play Call of Duty and HALO, and the usability of the Kinect for online FPS matches is limited, in my opinion. Everything you do on a controller is so fast-twitch that I don't think it'd be worth it to retrain my brain to do something like wave my hand to perform and action I typically do with the press of a button.

Now, to finish off, I have to repeat something I've said before. None if this means that I wouldn't CONSIDER the Kinect. My issue has never been with the Kinect itself in this matter. Heck, it's not greatly about the inclusion of it with all consoles (thus raising the price to something I don't care for). My complaints have basically always been with the always-connected requirement of the Kinect. That bothers me, whether people want to call it ridiculous paranoia or not. I mean, add in all of this NSA stuff that's been going on (along with the allegations of cooperation against Microsoft), and it's just unsettling. I mean, I do hate that the thing is $500, and that WILL be a deciding factor as to why I won't be getting this console in the near-future, but my questioning of the usability of the Kinect for me is a fraction of my displeasure with the idea of HAVING to plug in an Internet-connected camera in my room every time I want to do something that I don't even need it for.

Given MSFT's stated plans for the new XBox you will be part of the minority. Honestly, given your description above you probably will not get much from upgrading to the new model. And yes, you are paranoid.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know what those new controller buttons do myself. I assume that one is a multitasking button. I'd bet that it also makes snapping fairly painless. For example, Skype. Say you got a Skype call during a game. It could pop a notification, and tell you to press X to generically answer (leave the app in the background; sound-only), B to ignore, or press the multitasking button to snap it.

In an instance without notifications, you could have pressing that button bring up a list of applications (be they frequently-used ones or a list you make), and you could press the button, scroll, and select. It'd be about a 3-button process. Also, there's a bit of a stretch to assume that everyone LIKES the idea of snapping with a game going on. Myself, I don't care about Skype to begin with. The idea of giving up 20% of my screen to it? That just sucks.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Given MSFT's stated plans for the new XBox you will be part of the minority. Honestly, given your description above you probably will not get much from upgrading to the new model. And yes, you are paranoid.

Yeah, no corporation (or government) has ever lied or changed its policies after the fact. I'd rather be called paranoid than freely hand over private information. Then again, I'm probably in the minority, with the way people pass along every piece of personal information over Facebook, despite frequent reminders from Internet articles that they not only gather your personal information, but sell it for a profit as well.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
If your Kinect breaks because of poor craftsmanship, Microsoft will replace it. Does anyone have any reason to believe that they wouldn't? My experience with Microsoft products is very good, even when the products are faulty they stand behind them until the issues are resolved.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
And the answer I haven't gotten from any one is if we are allowed to turn it completely of why can't we just disconnect it I really don't have a place to put it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb