Rumors Xbox one with out kinect

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Not going to quote your whole response but stuck a thanks on it instead. I see where you are coming from now Keith. Thanks for explaining.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
And the answer I haven't gotten from any one is if we are allowed to turn it completely of why can't we just disconnect it I really don't have a place to put it

I think there are options here for different 'turn the Kinect off' scenarios. There will be an option to completely power down with the Xbox One due to EU regulations on electronic devices. If the Xbox is on, the Kinect will be 'on.' But I think there are also some privacy options in the system settings to disable the RGB camera and microphone when the device is on. This will allow the Kinect to continue to detect controllers and depth for the system and game features that will take advantage of gestures. I think these will be required options because of different countries having different regulations regarding privacy.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think there are options here for different 'turn the Kinect off' scenarios. There will be an option to completely power down with the Xbox One due to EU regulations on electronic devices. If the Xbox is on, the Kinect will be 'on.' But I think there are also some privacy options in the system settings to disable the RGB camera and microphone when the device is on. This will allow the Kinect to continue to detect controllers and depth for the system and game features that will take advantage of gestures. I think these will be required options because of different countries having different regulations regarding privacy.

I think that the ability to 100% power down while the console is off is exclusive to Germany, where they have 0% vampire energy requirements or something (basically meaning they cannot leave it in a low-power state while the console is off to listen for the "Xbox On" command).

One thing I have been curious on, though: They say that the console needs the Kinect to POST, but not to actually run. I've got the slightest curiosity about what would happen if you unplugged the Kinect after startup. Would it crash or pop an error message that won't go away until you plug the thing back in or what?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If your Kinect breaks because of poor craftsmanship, Microsoft will replace it. Does anyone have any reason to believe that they wouldn't? My experience with Microsoft products is very good, even when the products are faulty they stand behind them until the issues are resolved.

Well, to the extent that the one-year warranty requires. When my disc drive stopped working, I had to pay $90 to fix it.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I feel Ms should have saved the new Kinect for those who liked it before and those whom are interested in it im not I don't really need a sweet microphone I can turn my console on with the controller im not that lazy on launch day my games will be bf4 and the new cod neither which use the new Kinect so now this thing will sit in my draw( half assed cause it NEEDS to be pluged in for what reason no one knows) for what because Ms thinks I might like it .im sure Ms knows more than half of these Kinect will just be sitting around catching dust till is implemented in every game not just "Xbox on" Xbox off" sounds like the karate kid of the future!!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I like mandating Kinect. They are somewhat forcing innovation, now that EVERY Xbox user has a Kinect, it gives developers a reason to program for and include it! It can be used to enrich the gaming experience even for games that aren't "Kinect" games! Here's the smallest but best example for me.... In Forza Horizon the GPS was voice activated, so when I played multiplayer (cant pause the game) I didn't need to pull over and navigate the menus to set my gps, hell I didn't even need to take my eyes off the road! Going 220 mph I just spoke to my Xbox and set my GPS which helps far more than you would think!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel Ms should have saved the new Kinect for those who liked it before and those whom are interested in it im not I don't really need a sweet microphone I can turn my console on with the controller im not that lazy on launch day my games will be bf4 and the new cod neither which use the new Kinect so now this thing will sit in my draw( half assed cause it NEEDS to be pluged in for what reason no one knows) for what because Ms thinks I might like it .im sure Ms knows more than half of these Kinect will just be sitting around catching dust till is implemented in every game not just "Xbox on" Xbox off" sounds like the karate kid of the future!!

You don't really get the point. If it doesn't come with every Xbox One, it will not be utilized at all by most developers. While the first Kinect was also a bit lacking in performance, most devs wouldnt even consider developing features for Kinect cos only a small handful would had one in the first place.

What they are going for with the Xbox One is that it's basically as crucial to the system as the controller would be. I can't blame them for trying to push technology and innovation, but sadly many people are reluctat for change. I do understand it too, but the only way to push these features is that everyone has one. If they sold X1 without Kinect I would just buy that one, cos I'm a student with low income. However if I could on a general level decide whether Kinect comes with all X1s or whether it's sold seperately and volunteerly, I'd choose that it comes with every Xbox One, simply cos that way Kinect has a chance to actually becoming something other than a niche.

In a way it resembles early touch screens. "Why would I want to poke the screen when I have physical buttons, I don't need this, don't put it in my phone cos it just makes it cost more". Now look at touch screens :D The reason why it didn't pick up earlier was tech not being good enough but also partially lack of proper execution. Having seen what Kinect can do in those videos, I think the tech is there, now it just needs to be pushed through.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You don't really get the point. If it doesn't come with every Xbox One, it will not be utilized at all by most developers. While the first Kinect was also a bit lacking in performance, most devs wouldnt even consider developing features for Kinect cos only a small handful would had one in the first place.

What they are going for with the Xbox One is that it's basically as crucial to the system as the controller would be. I can't blame them for trying to push technology and innovation, but sadly many people are reluctat for change. I do understand it too, but the only way to push these features is that everyone has one. If they sold X1 without Kinect I would just buy that one, cos I'm a student with low income. However if I could on a general level decide whether Kinect comes with all X1s or whether it's sold seperately and volunteerly, I'd choose that it comes with every Xbox One, simply cos that way Kinect has a chance to actually becoming something other than a niche.

In a way it resembles early touch screens. "Why would I want to poke the screen when I have physical buttons, I don't need this, don't put it in my phone cos it just makes it cost more". Now look at touch screens :D The reason why it didn't pick up earlier was tech not being good enough but also partially lack of proper execution. Having seen what Kinect can do in those videos, I think the tech is there, now it just needs to be pushed through.
on what games is the new kinect being implemented on and how I've only seen videos if e3 of sum guy waving his hands around did not see one example on either madden 2014, the new cod, bf4. And im sure these developers knew there would be a Kinect in every Xbox one and they still did not develop any of these games with Kinect in mind I wonder why?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
on what games is the new kinect being implemented on and how I've only seen videos if e3 of sum guy waving his hands around did not see one example on either madden 2014, the new cod, bf4. And im sure these developers knew there would be a Kinect in every Xbox one and they still did not develop any of these games with Kinect in mind I wonder why?

Because when those games are developed, they don't develop them using a specific platform.

They develop those games using a universal engine that works on all platforms. They only need to worry about things working once, and then they know it will work on all systems.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are more, but so far I know about Dead Rising 3, Spark, Kinect Sports (although thats more purely a Kinect game) at least. The games you listed there are multiplatform and are less likely to have Kinect features cos PS4 users wont have a Kinect-equivalent so it cant be anything gamebreaking. That said, I'm pretty sure also in terms of CoD some Kinect things was also mentioned. I'm also thinking about some other game that I cant come up with now.

We have seen very little of actual gameplay on X1 on ANY game, perhaps Gamescom will show more.

But like always, I'm sure the start will be slow for kinect-using games as well. As the devs get more familiar and notice it's potential, I'm sure we will be seeing at least Xbox exclusives utilize it much better in a few years.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I hope so because what your saying I "unfortunately" like the multi platforms hits which happen to be some of the best games out there and they don't build for specific platforms so I'll have limited use of the Kinect with those games I guess well have to see but I doesn't look good from my and many eyes

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I hope so because what your saying I "unfortunately" like the multi platforms hits which happen to be some of the best games out there and they don't build for specific platforms so I'll have limited use of the Kinect with those games I guess well have to see but I doesn't look good from my and many eyes

What about all the apps? This is the first time a console has offered an app store with self publishing. This is the first time it has been this easy for developers to make apps that use the Kinect. It's impossible to predict what will come from it. Do you have any faith in the possibilities that can result from this? Imagine all the things you could control in your house with your voice...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Multiplats are indeed the wild card, while also one of the most selling games. Devs usually make them for the "lowest denominator". Meaning specwise it will be optimised for the worst system, but also now Kinect-wise. That said, PS4 has the Eye, so I guess the development time wouldnt be all wasted, even if for PS4 users it would be a marginal amount of people.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
But like always, I'm sure the start will be slow for kinect-using games as well. As the devs get more familiar and notice it's potential, I'm sure we will be seeing at least Xbox exclusives utilize it much better in a few years.

That's kind-of what I really hate about this setup. They're basically telling us to buy the accessory up-front, meaning we're running on HOPE to determine if the thing ever becomes usable. What if FPS titles (the big draw for consoles, really) never really catch on with motion controls? How many people will have a semi-useless accessory in the name of "convincing developers" who never got convinced? They really should have done a better job of getting people on-board with the Kinect at launch, at least from a third-party perspective.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, I think the Kinect was perhaps so far the most impressive thing in all of X1 presentation. We've seen how well it can work, I think it was well presented as well, if something they shouldve showed how games worked with it, but I guess we'll get a glimpse of that soon.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What about all the apps? This is the first time a console has offered an app store with self publishing. This is the first time it has been this easy for developers to make apps that use the Kinect. It's impossible to predict what will come from it. Do you have any faith in the possibilities that can result from this? Imagine all the things you could control in your house with your voice...
I guess we'll have to see cause my last Kinect was a turd I never used it cause not one single game I played used it so it was a waste if money for me I have yet to see anything so I'll have to wait and see

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess we'll have to see cause my last Kinect was a turd I never used it cause not one single game I played used it so it was a waste if money for me I have yet to see anything so I'll have to wait and see

The "turd" thing was the quality of the device. There were compelling games (like the Disneyland title), but the first Kinect did a HORRID job at tracking players, and the input lag made it a nightmare to play, for the most part. It was a massive disappointment all around.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this sentiment. Imagine the iPad without multi-touch for $99 less. Why would developers bother creating apps/games for iPads then?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There is no reason why multiplats cant have some sort of Kinect integration via an update after launch. Devs might not add much but there is no reason they cant add to the experience. Titles from EA like madden and fifa are bound to use the Kinect to some degree at launch. If it sells and the feedback is good what is to stop the other big publishers having a team just to integrate some form of Kinect add on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss