X-Box One to have 12GB of RAM?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Its highly unlikely it would need that much.

I know. I was just playing. Being ridiculous.

The Xbox one is using GDDR5 memory. It supports far higher transfer rates than standard pc ddr3 memory.

...but it doesn't use DDR5
Remember the 360? It only had 512mb of ram. Yet it was GDDR3 memory that sat right next to (really almost on top of) the processor. Not to mention Microsoft worked their electrical magic on it and made its transfer rates ridiculously fast. I believe on team executers forum it said that the 360's ram could theoretically support transfer rates of 129gb per second. Evidenced by the fact that it can smoothly play games like Skyrim, and Call of Duty.

If they do the same thing with the Xbox One, there won't be a need for anything greater than 8gb. Now let's just hope they don't make the same engineering mistakes they made in the og xbox, and og 360.

Sent from the stars...

Actually, the main reason you dont need too much RAM is because it doesn't have a general purpose OS. It doesn't have to worry about running all of your background processes that aren't game related.

Consoles are much more efficient in that sense.

On the XBOX ONE, the RAM will mainly help in texture memory. More texture for variety. Larger textures for increased detail.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Let's try to remember to keep the terms right. X1 indeed has DDR3, PS4 has GDDR5. DDR5 does not exist. GDDR and DDR are very different in their attributes.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
looks like 8gig dram and 8gig flash ram.

Well looks like, but for some weird reason they do not allow anyone to see the spec sheet thats printed on the console. I can't really imagine why, i don't think it would get more ram or hdd space, 5GB of RAM (3GB reserved for everything else) for one Game, is a gigantic amount of space already and if Developers use the new Tiled Resources features of DX11.2 they need even less instead of more. I really wonder whats there to hide still.

What i wish for though is that Microsoft would include the Play&Charge kit with every controller instead of 2 AA Batteries... the PS4 controller has a integrated Lithium battery and costs the same money, while the X1 Controller doesn't, plus the Play&Charge Kit is not Lithium based but.. normal rechargeable batteries are inside, they recharge far slower and need longer the charge.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well looks like, but for some weird reason they do not allow anyone to see the spec sheet thats printed on the console. I can't really imagine why, i don't think it would get more ram or hdd space, 5GB of RAM (3GB reserved for everything else) for one Game, is a gigantic amount of space already and if Developers use the new Tiled Resources features of DX11.2 they need even less instead of more. I really wonder whats there to hide still

What if... The release date is on that sticker as a "day one" console standard thing. That's the only thing left we don't know.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
What if... The release date is on that sticker as a "day one" console standard thing. That's the only thing left we don't know.

The "spec" sticker thingy are on the Dev units, they have on extra debug port in the back. These do not get into public hands so a release date printed on it is definitly not the case, and even for retail product a release date is usually not printed on as the real release date is usually planned after production rolls on as you never know if you run into production issues on the way or other things.
So really questionable what the sticker actually reveals, one thing i can think of is that a key of some sort is printed on the sticker to unlock the Unit for development as the Xbox shown is a dev unit, it has it's own dev port that's not on the retail console, Though not sure why something like that would be printed on a sticker on the console.. but i really don't think they are hiding any specs by obscuring the sticker.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well looks like, but for some weird reason they do not allow anyone to see the spec sheet thats printed on the console. I can't really imagine why, i don't think it would get more ram or hdd space, 5GB of RAM (3GB reserved for everything else) for one Game, is a gigantic amount of space already and if Developers use the new Tiled Resources features of DX11.2 they need even less instead of more. I really wonder whats there to hide still.

What i wish for though is that Microsoft would include the Play&Charge kit with every controller instead of 2 AA Batteries... the PS4 controller has a integrated Lithium battery and costs the same money, while the X1 Controller doesn't, plus the Play&Charge Kit is not Lithium based but.. normal rechargeable batteries are inside, they recharge far slower and need longer the charge.

I guess the question is, what happens if that battery goes bad with a PS4 controller? Is it easily replaced, or does it mean a new controller must be purchased? That would be a benefit to the Xbox model (though if we talk of including a Play & Charge, the simple fact that it uses a battery separate from the controller is enough).

Also, it's not just 5 GB of RAM for a game. Remember that there are several other functions running at once. There is the possibility of running SmartSearch on one game while playing another. There's the possible need to react to Kinect input. There's the general multitasking when things like Skype are running. This console won't be a single-task machine, it might be doing 3 or 4 things at once. Also, the amount of RAM is SUPPOSED to be overkill upon release. If it wasn't, launch games would straddle the limits line, while ones later in the life cycle of the console struggled because of RAM starvation.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I guess the question is, what happens if that battery goes bad with a PS4 controller? Is it easily replaced, or does it mean a new controller must be purchased? That would be a benefit to the Xbox model (though if we talk of including a Play & Charge, the simple fact that it uses a battery separate from the controller is enough).

Also, it's not just 5 GB of RAM for a game. Remember that there are several other functions running at once. There is the possibility of running SmartSearch on one game while playing another. There's the possible need to react to Kinect input. There's the general multitasking when things like Skype are running. This console won't be a single-task machine, it might be doing 3 or 4 things at once. Also, the amount of RAM is SUPPOSED to be overkill upon release. If it wasn't, launch games would straddle the limits line, while ones later in the life cycle of the console struggled because of RAM starvation.

The 5GB is dedicated for games. The other functions that you mention use the other 3GB of RAM.

Well, except Kinect. Accepting Kinect input isn't much of an issue. It's like accepting controller button or joystick input. The whole processing of Kinect is handled in Kinect itself. The Kinect unit has its own CPU that processes the data and just sends the post-processed information in a useful form to the XBOX.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Thought I'd post this link here as this is the thread that has been discussing hardware specs. Its a link to a highly speculative rumor/insider blog but if half of what is discussed is true, there are some good surprises in store. misterxmedia

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte