X-Box One to have 12GB of RAM?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a bit weird, seeing that likely a large amount of consoles have already been manufactured at previous specs. Something like GPU clock speed can be tweaked on a software level. Even RAM on PC could be easily switched, but I believe consoles have their RAMs soldered.

I hope it's true and apparently they have a good reason to believe it would be true, but from a manufacturing PoV it seems quite late to make the change. Hope it's true though!

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My initial reaction was to call BS. because of the unboxing video

But...

In said video the only component that doesn't get mentioned is the RAM. Maybe that's a gamescom bombshell??

Does indeed add fuel to the rumour mill.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that would be a nice bit of info to release at Gamescom.

IDK why I'm at a point where I am thirsty for XB1 news... good, bad, and rumors, I'll take what I can get.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a bit weird, seeing that likely a large amount of consoles have already been manufactured at previous specs. Something like GPU clock speed can be tweaked on a software level. Even RAM on PC could be easily switched, but I believe consoles have their RAMs soldered.

I hope it's true and apparently they have a good reason to believe it would be true, but from a manufacturing PoV it seems quite late to make the change. Hope it's true though!

Actually, I believe Major Nelson stated in the unboxing blog post that the console was 1 out of only 20 final production units so far. So if there is only 20 finished units right now, it's still a possibility.

I'm very skeptical, but if the rumor turns out to be true, I never want to hear a PS4 ****** speak ever again. They would have no valid arguments left.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I believe Major Nelson stated in the unboxing blog post that the console was 1 out of only 20 final production units so far. So if there is only 20 finished units right now, it's still a possibility.

I'm very skeptical, but if the rumor turns out to be true, I never want to hear a PS4 ****** speak ever again. They would have no valid arguments left.

The implications are quite huge - if it does end up with 12 and 4 of it gets dedicated to the OS that's a full 8gb ram + whatever cloud capabilities for devs to use in games.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The implications are quite huge - if it does end up with 12 and 4 of it gets dedicated to the OS that's a full 8gb ram + whatever cloud capabilities for devs to use in games.

Remember, it's not just the games.

With self publishing and an open app store, any developer can create a unique app that leverages the Kinect for the living-room. We might be seeing entire security systems in the app store. This extra power would be good for games AND apps.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

But IF MS can still make last minute changes, I'd imagine team Sony could as well... Although it might be too pricey to bump up the GDDR5 ram in the PS4 and still keep the console at its current price point.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Remember, it's not just the games.

With self publishing and an open app store, any developer can create a unique app that leverages the Kinect for the living-room. We might be seeing entire security systems in the app store. This extra power would be good for games AND apps.

That would be interesting - Kinect picks up movement in your house - starts a Skype video call to your phone so you can see who is there and react accordingly. Would scare the crap out of a burglar suddenly hearing a voice going "I seeeee youuuuuu"

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I havn't read that blog, so that's interesting news. I figured that production would pretty much be full on by now. I guess they might be already doing some things that arnt likely to change anymore but not doing final assembly yet.

As said, I sure hope it's true, who wouldn't want 12gb instead of 8gb? :D

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's funny because I actually have 12GB in my rig LOL. I bought a 2-stick pack, and my friend built and identical rig but got 4 sticks instead. He gave me one so we both had 3 x 4GB sticks on our machines making them identical LOL

I see. I had 2 4GB sticks, but I have 4 8GB sticks now, just because my dad thinks "I want 8 GB of RAM for Christmas" means "buy 4 8GB sticks of RAM."

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
From Twitter: Glad you all like headset. We’re not going to 12gb, just to be clear. Feeling great about game performance – stuff is looking killer.” — Albert Penello

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism