Day One edition now comes with either FIFA or Forza.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
How old are your kids that they are too young for Battlefield, yet they're old enough for gaming at all? I mean, heck, I was playing Quake by 10, if not younger.

3 months, 4 years, 10 years. My partner is big on enforcing age limits. To be fair, I could cope with the eldest playing it, the boy at 4 needs to wait.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
How old are your kids that they are too young for Battlefield, yet they're old enough for gaming at all? I mean, heck, I was playing Quake by 10, if not younger.

Was largely the same for me, but I wouldn't compare Battlefield 4 and Quake when you were 10. BF4 looks a whole lot more real with quite some "gore" things like the stabbing animations and all that, even if amount of blood isn't much per se in BF4. But I would 10 times rather let my 4 year old kid play the original Quake than let him play BF4. I don't have a 4 year old kid though.. :p

Also I think it's a bit silly to compare playing BF4 to gaming in general. There's plenty of games aimed for kids or even many games that just have nothing that warrants a higher age restriction, Battlefield just isn't one of them though. I mean can you really compare playing like Super Mario to playing Battlefield even if they are both games, when talking about young children? :p

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Was largely the same for me, but I wouldn't compare Battlefield 4 and Quake when you were 10. BF4 looks a whole lot more real with quite some "gore" things like the stabbing animations and all that, even if amount of blood isn't much per se in BF4. But I would 10 times rather let my 4 year old kid play the original Quake than let him play BF4. I don't have a 4 year old kid though.. :p

Also I think it's a bit silly to compare playing BF4 to gaming in general. There's plenty of games aimed for kids or even many games that just have nothing that warrants a higher age restriction, Battlefield just isn't one of them though. I mean can you really compare playing like Super Mario to playing Battlefield even if they are both games, when talking about young children? :p

I'm not sure what you're getting at in that last paragraph.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I played anything and everything as a nipper, but there was little in the same league as Battlefield. My childhood consisted of graphics of the time, which could be regarded as cartoon like at best. Photo realistic violence was a long way off. To be honest, I can cope with my boy playing things like Halo.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're getting at in that last paragraph.

Well, it was mostly aimed at the part where you seemed to imply that "if one is old enough for gaming, they are old enough for battlefield" which is definitely not the case IMO. Like peachy001 for example said, photorealistic violence and like.. Halo for example are different levels of "gaming" when it comes to parenting, even if both are shooters. Naturally the gap in "different kind of gaming" is even bigger when we compare.. The Sims and Battlefield 4 :D

Once again trying to rephrase what I'm trying to say, I think there are LOADS of games that one can be old enough to be playing even if one isn't old enough to play Battlefield :p

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No idea of the realism of violence in Battlefield, but I have a hard time believing it could be worse than Gears of War, which I wouldn't have had an issue playing as a kid (didn't come out until I was 16, though). Heck, if my little brothers (who are 7 and 10) wanted to try it (and their mom didn't complain--95% sure my dad wouldn't care), I'd let them play Gears, or at least watch, if they wanted to.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
They are not people though, so a little more acceptable. It is fantasy gore. In the same way as Mars Attacks is silly, but Saw 1 - whatever, are plain nasty. Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Tremors etc all have some killing in there, Gremlins is actually quite brutal from the standpoint of a Gremlin. But here is a huge qualitative difference between putting a naughty gremlin in a blender and an actual person.

I have to confess, as a kid I watched some shocking stuff. Robocop, although having pieces of dark humour, has some real cruel nasty bits. Escape From Sobibor was a head mash too, the implied horror in that was real nasty. The end credits were rather upsetting, where they tell you what happened to the people after the escape.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, the protagonists in Gears are human. In multiplayer (and when you get killed in the campaign), the same level of gore applies to the humans and the Locust.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This thread really has gone off piste. All good. The Gears gore, in my opinion, is again different and more cartoon like than Battlefield. The point of the story is to battle through aliens, which is always family friendly fun. Tomb Raider, was in fact going to have more graphic death moments, but the censors restricted it as the death scenes were quite harsh. Body impaled on spikes etc. While on the topic of gore, I seem to remember that the Japanese games have blood restricted. That is why some bleed coins, stars, whatever. Is that right?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess to get this back on topic...

I wish I lived in a 'battle ground' area of consoles. Only then would I (and other American citizens) get a free pack-in game with the XBOX One ;).

Of course, we get a lot of other things 'first' from Microsoft so, I suppose the trade off is alright ;)

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how much of a battle it was. For my money, the PS4 had wiped the floor with the Xbox. My own feeling is that the Xbox is a far weaker proposition than the Sony product. MS have been consistently making a real mess of the release. Regardless of what is in and what is out, the whole thing has been a shambles. From what I read, Sony gave a massively greater stock allowance for the preorders and still were running out. MS have evidently seen this, and realised they have to alter the value of their offering. Adding a game narrows the gap, and was the least they could do.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how much of a battle it was. For my money, the PS4 had wiped the floor with the Xbox. My own feeling is that the Xbox is a far weaker proposition than the Sony product. MS have been consistently making a real mess of the release. Regardless of what is in and what is out, the whole thing has been a shambles. From what I read, Sony gave a massively greater stock allowance for the preorders and still were running out. MS have evidently seen this, and realised they have to alter the value of their offering. Adding a game narrows the gap, and was the least they could do.

Yea, the PS4 really showed up Microsoft in the press statements, no question but, the Xbox one is doing pretty well. Sony needs to catch up as the xbox 360 is the largest selling(current systems) console right now but, the PS4 is looking good now. You are always going to have the fanboys move to their favorite systems. Microsoft did a good thing to push the 360 on release, the PS3 was $699 and the Xbox 360 was $399. This moved a lot of people over and even the

This all changes with this release, If you want motion gaming, they are about the same price (PS4 you have to buy the eye, controllers and a game brings it up to about $100), but, consoles themselves, that $100 will make a big deal for a lot of gamers, esp younger gamers who don't have access to $500 right away.

I would love to see MS officially say that they will include FIFA or Forza on Day one Xbox ones but, till they say it, it's just another rumor... :(

As I will have them both at some point, Xbox one on release and the moment Naughty Dog announces a game for the PS4, I will order or buy one....(man I wish they came over to the Xbox one)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The European day one editions do come with either Fifa or Forza. Lucky for us, shame other regions don't get them.

Not according to the Game local to me - Day one edition will only come with fifa14 if I wanted the forza 5 edition I could swap my day one edition for the forza 5 edition and get that instead of fifa but the console wouldn't be a Day One edition and would lose the little extras. Apparently the download codes for FIFA 14 are pre packed in the EU day one edition console boxes. The other special editions for Forza 5 and COD Ghosts are not "Day One" consoles.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
They did have day one Forza editions previously, I think. Asda Direct, Shopto and Very all had them too. Give them a look. They may have sold out now, but I have ordered 2 day one editions, one with FIFA and one with Forza. On another note, have you seen the cost of a 2nd controller? Yikes, ?55.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb