12-12-2013 09:42 PM
37 12
tools
    I was thinking about it though, and the amount of variation would be HUGE! People have shows from years back...the data would be all over the place, would be very difficult to make it an elite feeling experience with your voice.

However it would be nice to at least be able to do it with your controller...but they will be updating this console for the better part of a decade. it can still make it.
    All I want is the DVR button to bring up my recordings and then use up, down, left, right, enter (A).
    dgr_874 likes this.
    11-26-2013 08:36 AM
    I might break down and rent another stb from ATT even though I am pondering leaving them but nothing is really better in my neighborhood. The cable and telcos companies really screw customers in the states. :(
    12-05-2013 10:40 AM
    I might break down and rent another stb from ATT even though I am pondering leaving them but nothing is really better in my neighborhood. The cable and telcos companies really screw customers in the states. :(
    Cable Internet service is so much better than AT&T that I couldn't care less about the actual TV quality. Going from DirecTV and DSL to Comcast cable for TV and Internet saved us a bit of money, got us free HBO, AND the Internet went from 3 Mbps to 25 Mbps. U-Verse coverage is spotty, and its Internet tops out at 24 Mbps, I think. That's worse than the low-end Internet from Comcast. You should always watch for new-customer deals in your area, my sister and her husband got Comcast's basic cable and 50-Mbps for $40/month for the first year.
    12-05-2013 03:04 PM
    Usually DSL will quote you MB/s not mbps there is a huge difference. Generally your speed with DSL will be more consistent, especially with upload. Locally i've had much better service, and reliability with DSL vs Cable. and it's usually cheaper. Cable companies quoting mbps is just downright deceptive, 25 Mbps = 3.12500 megabytes / second.
    12-05-2013 03:41 PM
    You're lucky you don't live in Canada, believe it or not pricing is actually worse up here.

Cable Internet service is so much better than AT&T that I couldn't care less about the actual TV quality. Going from DirecTV and DSL to Comcast cable for TV and Internet saved us a bit of money, got us free HBO, AND the Internet went from 3 Mbps to 25 Mbps. U-Verse coverage is spotty, and its Internet tops out at 24 Mbps, I think. That's worse than the low-end Internet from Comcast. You should always watch for new-customer deals in your area, my sister and her husband got Comcast's basic cable and 50-Mbps for $40/month for the first year.
    Except with cable you're sharing your bandwidth with those around you. Telus here in Canada uses the same technology AT&T Uverse does, fibre. My connection may max out at 50/10, but it's consistently 52mbps down and 11mbps up, even during peak hours. My friends who have Shaw (cable) complain about peak hour bandwidth all the time. Consistency was pretty much the deciding factor for me. Granted YMMV.
    12-05-2013 03:53 PM
    Usually DSL will quote you MB/s not mbps there is a huge difference. Generally your speed with DSL will be more consistent, especially with upload. Locally i've had much better service, and reliability with DSL vs Cable. and it's usually cheaper. Cable companies quoting mbps is just downright deceptive, 25 Mbps = 3.12500 megabytes / second.
    AT&T is the only DSL provider I know of here, and they have never quoted MBps: AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet

DSL's usually cheaper, but when you have to pair it with satellite, the cable bundles typically end up being about the same or cheaper, and the Internet is usually faster.
    12-05-2013 04:31 PM
    Except with cable you're sharing your bandwidth with those around you. Telus here in Canada uses the same technology AT&T Uverse does, fibre. My connection may max out at 50/10, but it's consistently 52mbps down and 11mbps up, even during peak hours. My friends who have Shaw (cable) complain about peak hour bandwidth all the time. Consistency was pretty much the deciding factor for me. Granted YMMV.
    Like you said, it's a case-by-case basis. I've yet to have issues with my speeds in 6 months with Comcast, and it usually runs FASTER than the quoted speeds. We're on a 25-Mbps packag,e and it's usually running a bit above 27 Mbps. With AT&T DSL, we were supposed to be getting 3 Mbps, and it was usually in the 2.5-2.8 range. It used to be that my cousin and I would have to warn each other any time one downloaded something because it made the Internet unusable (especially for Xbox LIVE) for a while. Now, we can BOTH be downloading something at a given time, and we won't have any issues with speed for general browsing or gaming.
    12-05-2013 04:34 PM
    We have two providers in my city - Time Warner Cable & ATT. TWC's best internet is a paltry 50/5mbps and their TV is ridiculously overpriced. To TWC's credit, they have been slowing bonding more channels here (we're getting 6-8 downstream channels locked now), so speeds have crept up into the mid-to-upper-50s, but the price is just never the same month-to-month. U-Verse just started offering 45/6mbps internet here, so I'm going to give that a shot next week and see how it is. Hopefully it's better than when we had 24/3mbps a few years ago.

To the original question - I would seriously doubt the XB1 will act as a STB for U-Verse. ATT announced a few weeks ago that they were ending support for existing Xbox 360s as STB, so I'd imagine everyone will have to move over to their boxes. I've got a HDHomeRun Prime I use for cable with CableCard and Media Center now - I really wish ATT used cablecard too.

Ericsson bought Mediaroom, so perhaps they couldn't come to an agreement with ATT. There aren't many other IPTV platforms out there, however, so I'd imagine they'll be using Mediaroom for the foreseeable future.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    12-05-2013 07:45 PM
    Cable Providers have been terrible every where I have lived. Sucky service and even more sucky support. Uverse has been awesome in price, features and support.
    12-07-2013 07:45 AM
    Cable Providers have been terrible every where I have lived. Sucky service and even more sucky support. Uverse has been awesome in price, features and support.
    Yeah, mostly the opposite for me. AT&T's always been reliably unreliable (in that it doesn't have performance issues, but its performance is so bad at all times it doesn't matter). Cable's been unreliable in the past, but we've been MOSTLY problem-free so far (had a bad cable box at the onset), and the products we're getting are basically the same TV package, plus their Streampix stuff and HBO, and Internet that's 9 times faster for roughly the same price each month. I guess it's like the Verizon-AT&T debate, where it varies by region.
    12-07-2013 12:44 PM
    Yeah, mostly the opposite for me. AT&T's always been reliably unreliable (in that it doesn't have performance issues, but its performance is so bad at all times it doesn't matter). Cable's been unreliable in the past, but we've been MOSTLY problem-free so far (had a bad cable box at the onset), and the products we're getting are basically the same TV package, plus their Streampix stuff and HBO, and Internet that's 9 times faster for roughly the same price each month. I guess it's like the Verizon-AT&T debate, where it varies by region.
    The bottom line as consumers of broadband internet we are screwed. Did you try the cable app for your provider? If AT&T don't release their xbone app in the very near future, then I will bid them adios and go back to cable.
    12-10-2013 11:21 AM
    The bottom line as consumers of broadband internet we are screwed. Did you try the cable app for your provider? If AT&T don't release their xbone app in the very near future, then I will bid them adios and go back to cable.
    The cable app on my console? It worked OK, it's just their On-Demand/Streampix service though--no live TV.
    12-12-2013 09:42 PM
37 12