Xbox one as a Uverse STB

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If you didn't know, I know at least the original Uverse menu was called Mediaroom, that was a Microsoft Product. They sold off that part so not sure on who is working on I now...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, at the very least, the One will display its own channel lineup for UVerse and just control your uverse box.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think many of the bigger US cable services were rumored to perhaps get an app to eliminate the need for another box, but dunno if uverse would be one of those, but yeah, barring the mentioned scenario, you would still need the box

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think many of the bigger US cable services were rumored to perhaps get an app to eliminate the need for another box, but dunno if uverse would be one of those, but yeah, barring the mentioned scenario, you would still need the box

As someone who has been in the Audio/Video section for many years, I will tell you this. This will not be a software based update to be able to do this. HDMI-CEC will allow to control the box with our IR blasers but, to remove the box completely, you would need hardware, like a cablecard tuner or a IP box of some type for Uverse.

I would not count on that and as I have read some very detailed parts of the Xbox One's TV part, there is nothing saying that you will get rid of your set top box to use this. It's a basic setup with HDMI in and IR blaster or HDMI-CEC supported on the HDMI imput, No tuners or anything like that.

Anyway about it, you would need HARDWARE to do this, no software would or could do this (I could be wrong but AFAIK NO)

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I hope this is the case it seems like there is a fios app but the uverse one is strangely absent considering it does work on the xbox 360.

SDKevin

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The unknown here is the only reason I hesitate to buy one? I love how the 360 takes the place of my Uverse cable boxes. I don't want to loose that great feature.

SDKevin

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
As someone who has been in the Audio/Video section for many years, I will tell you this. This will not be a software based update to be able to do this. HDMI-CEC will allow to control the box with our IR blasers but, to remove the box completely, you would need hardware, like a cablecard tuner or a IP box of some type for Uverse.

I would not count on that and as I have read some very detailed parts of the Xbox One's TV part, there is nothing saying that you will get rid of your set top box to use this. It's a basic setup with HDMI in and IR blaster or HDMI-CEC supported on the HDMI imput, No tuners or anything like that.

Anyway about it, you would need HARDWARE to do this, no software would or could do this (I could be wrong but AFAIK NO)

Uverse is IPTV and the current 360 needs no additional hardware to display it in full. The 360 100% replaces a uverse box if you have att's app installed on it.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had read that you couldn't get the Uverse app for the 360 anymore, they won't come install it...they have cancelled it. If true, I would not expect one for the One either.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I thought I had read that you couldn't get the Uverse app for the 360 anymore, they won't come install it...they have cancelled it. If true, I would not expect one for the One either.

I looked into this last week and found the same thing. Not available anymore.

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully they are just waiting for the xbox one to be released and they will release an updated app.

I hope so but who knows because both company's seem to have a propensity to **** off their consumers by omitting no-brainer features.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I looked into this last week and found the same thing. Not available anymore.

Right, Microsoft USED to make Mediaroom, what Uverse is based off, I bet when they sold it the app died as a 3rd party is doing it now.

It's going to be one of those things that you will just plug it in to see if it works. Not sure they support it any more but, time will tell.

We should create a thread to see what boxes work and what dont.... I would be interested to hear people's results from this setup.

I dont think I am going to hook a cable/sat box up to mine, I might just end up using the HDMI port for my 360....depending on the lag people see from it.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Right, Microsoft USED to make Mediaroom, what Uverse is based off, I bet when they sold it the app died as a 3rd party is doing it now.

It's going to be one of those things that you will just plug it in to see if it works. Not sure they support it any more but, time will tell.

We should create a thread to see what boxes work and what dont.... I would be interested to hear people's results from this setup.

I dont think I am going to hook a cable/sat box up to mine, I might just end up using the HDMI port for my 360....depending on the lag people see from it.

Here in Canada, Telus also used Mediaroom as their backend. If you wanted to use the Xbox 360 as a STB you had to get a Telus tech to install the OptikTV (what Telus called their IPTV service) from a disc, then register the console. I know a few people who have recently gotten the OptikTV service and they are being told that Telus does not support the Xbox 360 as a STB anymore, probably due to Microsoft not updating the application anymore. I'm assuming the situation is the same in the US so most likely if you want to use the Xbox One as a STB you'll have to plug your current STB into your One. The only thing I personally am worried about is that Microsoft won't have support for Canada or other countries for Live TV, since historically services and features such as those are only supported in the US (at least initially).

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So did it work for anyone in Canada? And after using my One all weekend...not sure how they would get around making a separate TV app for all the different providers... I have my main UVerse box plugged into it now but I am thinking of using one of the WiFi boxes connected to the One to save room in the entertainment center.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb