Xbox one as a Uverse STB

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So did it work for anyone in Canada? And after using my One all weekend...not sure how they would get around making a separate TV app for all the different providers... I have my main UVerse box plugged into it now but I am thinking of using one of the WiFi boxes connected to the One to save room in the entertainment center.

I'm able to plug my Telus STB into my Xbox One and watch TV through the TV app. The downside is that I still need to use the STB remote to do anything, all the One does is pass the video feed through.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm able to plug my Telus STB into my Xbox One and watch TV through the TV app. The downside is that I still need to use the STB remote to do anything, all the One does is pass the video feed through.

The "OneGuide" doesn't work at all? I still have to use my UVerse remote for all DVR browsing. I can use voice / One controls to FF/Play/Pause/Rewind but actually selecting a show has to be via the remote.

The OneGuid though is most likely just a carrier issue...they haven't signed on with MS to give them all their TV Data. You'd get the same thing if you were watching a super small broadcast company in the States.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The "OneGuide" doesn't work at all?

Nope, only apps show up when I use the OneGuide. Expected though since Microsoft said (in very small print I might add) that OneGuide support for live TV is US only for right now. Really hoping that it gets sorted out in the near future, but it currently isn't as big of an issue as I thought it would be, though it doesn't make it any less excusable to tout one of the main differentiating features of the Xbox One but make it only supported in the US at launch.

EDIT: Also to note, under the OneGuide settings the only option listed under the TV Provider is "None" (as I recall).

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The "OneGuide" doesn't work at all? I still have to use my UVerse remote for all DVR browsing. I can use voice / One controls to FF/Play/Pause/Rewind but actually selecting a show has to be via the remote.

I hope they eventually update it to add DVR controls. It would be nice to not need a remote other than my voice and/or my Xbox One controller.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I hope they eventually update it to add DVR controls. It would be nice to not need a remote other than my voice and/or my Xbox One controller.

I was thinking about it though, and the amount of variation would be HUGE! People have shows from years back...the data would be all over the place, would be very difficult to make it an elite feeling experience with your voice.

However it would be nice to at least be able to do it with your controller...but they will be updating this console for the better part of a decade. it can still make it.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about it though, and the amount of variation would be HUGE! People have shows from years back...the data would be all over the place, would be very difficult to make it an elite feeling experience with your voice.

However it would be nice to at least be able to do it with your controller...but they will be updating this console for the better part of a decade. it can still make it.

All I want is the DVR button to bring up my recordings and then use up, down, left, right, enter (A).

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I might break down and rent another stb from ATT even though I am pondering leaving them but nothing is really better in my neighborhood. The cable and telcos companies really screw customers in the states. :(

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I might break down and rent another stb from ATT even though I am pondering leaving them but nothing is really better in my neighborhood. The cable and telcos companies really screw customers in the states. :(

Cable Internet service is so much better than AT&T that I couldn't care less about the actual TV quality. Going from DirecTV and DSL to Comcast cable for TV and Internet saved us a bit of money, got us free HBO, AND the Internet went from 3 Mbps to 25 Mbps. U-Verse coverage is spotty, and its Internet tops out at 24 Mbps, I think. That's worse than the low-end Internet from Comcast. You should always watch for new-customer deals in your area, my sister and her husband got Comcast's basic cable and 50-Mbps for $40/month for the first year.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Usually DSL will quote you MB/s not mbps there is a huge difference. Generally your speed with DSL will be more consistent, especially with upload. Locally i've had much better service, and reliability with DSL vs Cable. and it's usually cheaper. Cable companies quoting mbps is just downright deceptive, 25 Mbps = 3.12500 megabytes / second.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

You're lucky you don't live in Canada, believe it or not pricing is actually worse up here.

Cable Internet service is so much better than AT&T that I couldn't care less about the actual TV quality. Going from DirecTV and DSL to Comcast cable for TV and Internet saved us a bit of money, got us free HBO, AND the Internet went from 3 Mbps to 25 Mbps. U-Verse coverage is spotty, and its Internet tops out at 24 Mbps, I think. That's worse than the low-end Internet from Comcast. You should always watch for new-customer deals in your area, my sister and her husband got Comcast's basic cable and 50-Mbps for $40/month for the first year.

Except with cable you're sharing your bandwidth with those around you. Telus here in Canada uses the same technology AT&T Uverse does, fibre. My connection may max out at 50/10, but it's consistently 52mbps down and 11mbps up, even during peak hours. My friends who have Shaw (cable) complain about peak hour bandwidth all the time. Consistency was pretty much the deciding factor for me. Granted YMMV.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Usually DSL will quote you MB/s not mbps there is a huge difference. Generally your speed with DSL will be more consistent, especially with upload. Locally i've had much better service, and reliability with DSL vs Cable. and it's usually cheaper. Cable companies quoting mbps is just downright deceptive, 25 Mbps = 3.12500 megabytes / second.

AT&T is the only DSL provider I know of here, and they have never quoted MBps: AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet

DSL's usually cheaper, but when you have to pair it with satellite, the cable bundles typically end up being about the same or cheaper, and the Internet is usually faster.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Except with cable you're sharing your bandwidth with those around you. Telus here in Canada uses the same technology AT&T Uverse does, fibre. My connection may max out at 50/10, but it's consistently 52mbps down and 11mbps up, even during peak hours. My friends who have Shaw (cable) complain about peak hour bandwidth all the time. Consistency was pretty much the deciding factor for me. Granted YMMV.

Like you said, it's a case-by-case basis. I've yet to have issues with my speeds in 6 months with Comcast, and it usually runs FASTER than the quoted speeds. We're on a 25-Mbps packag,e and it's usually running a bit above 27 Mbps. With AT&T DSL, we were supposed to be getting 3 Mbps, and it was usually in the 2.5-2.8 range. It used to be that my cousin and I would have to warn each other any time one downloaded something because it made the Internet unusable (especially for Xbox LIVE) for a while. Now, we can BOTH be downloading something at a given time, and we won't have any issues with speed for general browsing or gaming.

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
We have two providers in my city - Time Warner Cable & ATT. TWC's best internet is a paltry 50/5mbps and their TV is ridiculously overpriced. To TWC's credit, they have been slowing bonding more channels here (we're getting 6-8 downstream channels locked now), so speeds have crept up into the mid-to-upper-50s, but the price is just never the same month-to-month. U-Verse just started offering 45/6mbps internet here, so I'm going to give that a shot next week and see how it is. Hopefully it's better than when we had 24/3mbps a few years ago.

To the original question - I would seriously doubt the XB1 will act as a STB for U-Verse. ATT announced a few weeks ago that they were ending support for existing Xbox 360s as STB, so I'd imagine everyone will have to move over to their boxes. I've got a HDHomeRun Prime I use for cable with CableCard and Media Center now - I really wish ATT used cablecard too.

Ericsson bought Mediaroom, so perhaps they couldn't come to an agreement with ATT. There aren't many other IPTV platforms out there, however, so I'd imagine they'll be using Mediaroom for the foreseeable future.

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Cable Providers have been terrible every where I have lived. Sucky service and even more sucky support. Uverse has been awesome in price, features and support.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Cable Providers have been terrible every where I have lived. Sucky service and even more sucky support. Uverse has been awesome in price, features and support.

Yeah, mostly the opposite for me. AT&T's always been reliably unreliable (in that it doesn't have performance issues, but its performance is so bad at all times it doesn't matter). Cable's been unreliable in the past, but we've been MOSTLY problem-free so far (had a bad cable box at the onset), and the products we're getting are basically the same TV package, plus their Streampix stuff and HBO, and Internet that's 9 times faster for roughly the same price each month. I guess it's like the Verizon-AT&T debate, where it varies by region.

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, mostly the opposite for me. AT&T's always been reliably unreliable (in that it doesn't have performance issues, but its performance is so bad at all times it doesn't matter). Cable's been unreliable in the past, but we've been MOSTLY problem-free so far (had a bad cable box at the onset), and the products we're getting are basically the same TV package, plus their Streampix stuff and HBO, and Internet that's 9 times faster for roughly the same price each month. I guess it's like the Verizon-AT&T debate, where it varies by region.
The bottom line as consumers of broadband internet we are screwed. Did you try the cable app for your provider? If AT&T don't release their xbone app in the very near future, then I will bid them adios and go back to cable.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The bottom line as consumers of broadband internet we are screwed. Did you try the cable app for your provider? If AT&T don't release their xbone app in the very near future, then I will bid them adios and go back to cable.

The cable app on my console? It worked OK, it's just their On-Demand/Streampix service though--no live TV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb