How to: Xbox one or PS4 on a NON-HDMI tv or projector

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't I need the Fury II Basic Kit? HDMI to VGA with the audio split out?

Here's the projector...its an old one now, but its a high quality, made in Japan projector and I'd like to keep using it.

Epson Projectors: Epson PowerLite 703c 3 LCD projector

We use it to play xbox outside on the house on weekends during the summer...lots of fun! (The lines are from the siding...after about 5 mins of playing, your eyes/brain don't see them anymore.)

Not bad specs for a older projector, as long as you can output your Xbox 360 in 720p and see the image, you should have no issues with the xbox one.

The HDfury would solve your HDCP problems with the VGA in but, it does not do audio as I remember (and you will need a DVI to HDMI adapter). This is the cheapest route for you (I think it's $99). The HDfury 2 would do that as well with analog/2.0 digital audio (with a hack, it can output 5.1). If you want to pull the Audio from HDMI and just put it in your projector or speakers, then the HDfury 2 is what you want (unless you plan on pulling it directy from the Xbox one). Just remember when you setup your Xbox one or 360, set the audio to Stereo (2.0) as you might not get anything if you push 5.1 down the HDMI.

You also get to be able to use Component video out of the HDfury2 (VGA or component, there is a switch), that the HDfury CAN NOT DO.

Check on ebay, there was a few HDfury2's on there, you might be able to get a deal on one...

BTW, I also have a 720p older projector, I do the side of the house thing too, in the summer we have a movie night with some friends but, after the movie is over, it's all about the games :)

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'll pick up a Fury2, I need the audio and over the life of the Xbox One, it isn't a huge expense on a yearly basis.

Thanks for clarifying David!

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It a bit expensive won't it be cheaper to just buy a new TV as an long time investment or I think you can get TV or monitors for the same price with HDMI port.

However it a good solution for those that don't want to get a new TV.

I think it depends. There's still some really good TVs out there that are a few years old, and may either have only one HDMI port, or only component/dvi/vga, even if they accept 1080p. There's also some good technologies that fell out of favor for cheaper, flatter LCD displays, because people have come to expect that the future is thin/flat and color quality be darned. (Personally I wish DLP would get more attention, but oh well...) Someone, for example, with a large projection set might need a different input than HDMI.

Last edited:

Chris Mullally1

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
have connected my ps4 to non hdmi projector (acer x110p) with the followint cables: hdmi to vga adapter (link below) and a standard vga cable. All i had to do was set the resolution of the ps4 to 720p and connect cables to projector it worked perfectly, took sound from optical port on ps4 and i was ready to go that simply. Cost me the price of the adapter and standard vga cable that i had lying around.
Hdmi Male TO VGA Female RGB HDTV Cable Converter Adapter 1080P Black Xbox 360 AV | eBay

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
have connected my ps4 to non hdmi projector (acer x110p) with the followint cables: hdmi to vga adapter (link below) and a standard vga cable. All i had to do was set the resolution of the ps4 to 720p and connect cables to projector it worked perfectly, took sound from optical port on ps4 and i was ready to go that simply. Cost me the price of the adapter and standard vga cable that i had lying around.
Hdmi Male TO VGA Female RGB HDTV Cable Converter Adapter 1080P Black Xbox 360 AV | eBay

Right, but, from my understanding, that will only work for playing games on the xbox one. If I want to bring the xbox one outside for game & movie night, movies will require a HDCP connection and won't play through a device like that. I would need something that strips HDCP off the video stream for all content to play through my VGA projector.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Right, but, from my understanding, that will only work for playing games on the xbox one. If I want to bring the xbox one outside for game & movie night, movies will require a HDCP connection and won't play through a device like that. I would need something that strips HDCP off the video stream for all content to play through my VGA projector.

Exactly, HDCP is one of those evil things. It might work for games on the PS4 but, as soon as you drop in a movie or some streaming content, he will get black screen with that device.

Games using HDCP is questionable, I've heard yes and no but, With movies, like blu-ray and streaming content from netflix, etc, they will use HDCP and in those cases if a device is HDCP compliant, it will honor the securty and it will just show a black screen when that content is being used.

I tried the other method with a basic device just to see on a Home theater PC and cablecard content, using strait analog (component video) it was fine but, going digital to analong, most videos or recorded shows I could not even watch...

BlueJake

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
We just got the Xbox one. I have an "old" Samsung 60" DLP TV.
In has component inputs along w/DVI input and what is labeled "PC" input, which I assume is a VGA input.
Will a simple HDMI-DVI cable not work (if it exists?)
Otherwise, is the HDFury2 my best option?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
We just got the Xbox one. I have an "old" Samsung 60" DLP TV.
In has component inputs along w/DVI input and what is labeled "PC" input, which I assume is a VGA input.
Will a simple HDMI-DVI cable not work (if it exists?)
Otherwise, is the HDFury2 my best option?

If you have DVI (not VGA), I would go pick up a HDMI to DVI adapter. You should be fine. Most DLP tvs that had DVI had HDCP so everything should work. Try it and post back. If you get it working, try a Blu-ray disc if you have one to try to play a movie, if the movie plays, you are all set.

Don't spend the $180 if you don't need to, try that $5 (wally world if you have one) adapter first.

vertigoOne

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered a fury3 from ebay. I have a non hdcp compliant portable monitor coming in that I want to use with my Xbox one as part of a portable setup.

BlueJake

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Turns out we had an adapter (Ultralink) that had been used from the Blu-ray player to the DLP Samsung TV. It worked fine for that. My son tells me that he tried it on the Xbox 360 and the image was pixilated and there was no sound. The sound part I expected. I don't understand why it would have worked on the player and not the Xbox. Is there some setting that I need to adjust on either the tv or the xbox? Will that change when we hook up the new Xbox One?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Turns out we had an adapter (Ultralink) that had been used from the Blu-ray player to the DLP Samsung TV. It worked fine for that. My son tells me that he tried it on the Xbox 360 and the image was pixilated and there was no sound. The sound part I expected. I don't understand why it would have worked on the player and not the Xbox. Is there some setting that I need to adjust on either the tv or the xbox? Will that change when we hook up the new Xbox One?

DVI normally only carries video, not audio (depends on the version of dvi). If you look by the DVI port, you will see audio jacks. If there is a digital connection (optical) get a digital cable (you can get long ones on ebay for only under $10).

If you are getting audio via your Blu-ray player via DVI but, not the 360, try to change the audio to Stereo instead of Dolby digital 5.1 on the 360 (the default setting is 5.1 I believe). Some tvs don't know what to do with 5.1 audio so they wont give anything. That setting is on the Xbox one as well.

If your getting pixelated screen, check your res of the xbox, it could be you could be outputting 1080p on a set that only supports 720p, Most tvs should adjust for this but, not all of them.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Helpful to many who don't want to buy new tvs. Thanks for posting!

I don't mind. I am in the same boat and I plan on getting a new tv late in Spring (waiting for 4K sets to be come more affordable). I also have worked with Mid to High end audio video stuff for 20+ years. There are workarounds but, I know a lot of people don't know how to do it. I figure I can share a little if people need help.

I was pissed off to find out that I could not use my Xbox one on my old tv, so had to find a way !!!

David Zellner

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I got an Xbox one for Christmas. The tv in the room it want to play it in is a 42" sylvania edtv that doesn't have hdmi but has component. It supports 720p. The amazon link is

Amazon.com: Sylvania 6842PE 42-Inch Flat-Panel EDTV Plasma Monitor: Electronics.

I purchased a kanex pro hdmi to component converter and it worked. Kinda. The Xbox comes on and I have a picture but it's all discolored and when I move around the menus it gets really dark. I think it may be the cables. I can promise you they are plugged in properly. They are cables that came with a DVD player. Here is a link to the converter

Amazon.com: Kanex Pro HDRGBRL HDMI to Component with Audio Converter: Electronics

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I got an Xbox one for Christmas. The tv in the room it want to play it in is a 42" sylvania edtv that doesn't have hdmi but has component. It supports 720p. The amazon link is

Amazon.com: Sylvania 6842PE 42-Inch Flat-Panel EDTV Plasma Monitor: Electronics.

I purchased a kanex pro hdmi to component converter and it worked. Kinda. The Xbox comes on and I have a picture but it's all discolored and when I move around the menus it gets really dark. I think it may be the cables. I can promise you they are plugged in properly. They are cables that came with a DVD player. Here is a link to the converter

Amazon.com: Kanex Pro HDRGBRL HDMI to Component with Audio Converter: Electronics

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like that device has some questionable reviews (it works for some but, not others). If the device works fine as it should, It should work for part of it for the most part. You MIGHT be able to play some games, you should not be able to use Netflix or watch Blu-ray/DVD movies (Not HDCP compliant, so your Xbox one will error out or not show anything for some content).

If your cables are good (I will check them by trying to use them to connect something else that you know works, Use the component cables on a DVD or Blu-ray player that you know works, if it works fine, try it again on this device). If it does not work, I would narrow it down to a problem with the device.

After the reviews that I read, it's a hit or miss with the Xbox one, it's got scaling problems and sometimes does not work.

I am not sure I can help on this one, it's not a good quality device from what I see and if you can't get it to work, I would suggest return it and get another one, or get something that is a little bit better.

That is why I suggested the HDfury, as 99% of the problems I have read about this device you have does not happen on the HDfury, you plug it in and it works.

You DO get what you pay for...

Good luck

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
What if my tv only has A/V inputs (Red, White, and Yellow)? Then what should I use?

Microsoft has stated that the lowest res that the Xbox one supports is 480p. Composite (yellow video cable) is 480i. There is no cheap way to do this to do it right. Is this is a big tv or a small one ? You would need a scaler and something that outputs composite ($400+). If your TV supported older HD (1080i), I might say to spend a little to get something but, if that is all you have, my only suggestion would be to replace the TV.

It would not be very cost effective to get this tv working when you can get yourself a reasonable 32"-40" 720P set for under $200 at Wal-Mart or someplace like that, as the stuff to MAKE it work would be double the cost of a new tv.

This is one of the rare cases that I would suggest to just replace the tv...

Good luck

Edit: With this all being said. This MIGHT work. You still will deal wit HDCP, some apps wont work right but, You **SHOULD** be able to play most games. I can't say for sure but, it appears 1 person said it worked with the Xbox one with some minor issues.

Amazon.com: Etekcity? HDMI to AV Composite RCA CVBS Video + Audio Converter For TV PS3 VHS VCR DVD: Electronics

With this device being $40ish, You have to ask yourself, if your replacing a smaller TV, it still would be better to just get a new one...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Everyone, I don't mind helping people but, DO NOT PM me about these issues, please keep it in this thread. Other people have issues and if they read your post, it might help them. I have gotten 5-6 PMs about issues connecting their Xbox one or PS4 and 2-3 of them were about the same issue that could of been resolved if just posted and read here.

Thank you !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786