Remote Control?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as I understand, I can use Xbox One to overlay/control my satellite TV box. Seems a bit clunky to go this with the Xbox controller though. Has anyone seen mention of a media remote controller for the Xbox One? There's none in the MS accessories store online.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as I understand, I can use Xbox One to overlay/control my satellite TV box. Seems a bit clunky to go this with the Xbox controller though. Has anyone seen mention of a media remote controller for the Xbox One? There's none in the MS accessories store online.

Why? You can do everything with Kinect. :)

"Xbox, watch ESPN2"
"Xbox, channel 435"

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I concur with Robert. No need for a remote, just say what you want. I LOVE that feature with Netflix right now on my 360.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Some of us don't want to do that, though. I hate the idea of talking to my console. I hate the idea of talking to my phone, and never have. In fact, I'll continue the tinfoil hat routine when I get my console, and I won't plug in the Kinect unless I am playing a Kinect-enabled game where I specifically want the controls (think Disneyland Adventures).

The controller probably won't be a terrible solution, as the triggers could work to scroll through pages. Given the short length of TV channels, typing them wouldn't be too bad, either. Then there's the obvious solution--SmartGlass remote functionality. Just make it a touch version of a TV remote.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely agree.

Can you imagine how tedious it would be to browse the TV listings using voice commands, especially when every command has to start with "Xbox". Voice commands are great for specific tasks, but not for browsing menus/listings.

Using the controller might be ok, but I'm used to my Sky remote.

TheSuperShoe

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely agree.

Can you imagine how tedious it would be to browse the TV listings using voice commands, especially when every command has to start with "Xbox". Voice commands are great for specific tasks, but not for browsing menus/listings.

If they do it like Netflix does now on the 360. You just say 'XBox' once and then there's just a timeout for the next command. So it's usually, "Xbox, next. Next. Next. Play 2". It can get a little annoying through long lists, but ,since I'm a messy person, I can never find my remote, so I REALLY like it.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely agree.

I don't think evey command needs to start with "XBox"... Once the One knows you are wanting to interact with it, it stays in a listening state... although I'm not sure what drops it out of the listening state.... maybe X seconds of no commands?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely agree.

You don't have to say Xbox before every command. (See: Xbox One Reveal)

All I was saying is that there is no need to a TV-like remote control. The Xbox Controller combined with SmartGlass and voice commands are all you need. If you aren't satisfied, Xbox One might not be for you. Also, I'm guessing navigating the guide with a swipe up/down gesture will work too. You have plenty of options.

Also, I'm guessing you will be able to add specific channels to a Favorites section, so it will be easy to navigate to your popular channels via controller.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Xbox One is most definitely for me. Don't confuse me with people who enjoy getting completely bent out of shape if their hopes and dreams aren't handed to them on a gold plated platter.

I'm sure I'll cope and be happy with whatever Microsoft gives me.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It's a weird world we live in. Why not at least try the voice commands? I use it all the time.. I can walk by my xbox turn it on (wont have to with xbone) can say "xbox apps, music, iheartradio" "xbox my stations play 1" all from the kitchen while I'm cleaning up or making food. same thing with netflix, or anything else really. All hands free, while I'm doing something else. Never need to pull out my phone, find a controller or anything else. People just get these idea's in their heads and wont let go of them. Open your mind to new possibilities, adapt, grow, etc. I don't get how voice is not a viable input, rather then your fingers.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
For those that are curious and don't want to use voice commands and/or smartglass, the XBox One will be controllable by a universal remote...

Q: Will there be a remote control for Xbox One? / Why is there not a remote for launch?
A: ...We will also publish our Xbox One infrared remote control codes at launch for existing 3rd party universal remotes to use.
Source: The Good News About Xbox One That Microsoft Brushed Right Over

In all honesty, IDK why the PS3 didn't have an IR reciever... for that matter, why do most modern phones no longer include an IR?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a weird world we live in. Why not at least try the voice commands?

You say this as if they're some unknown. Those of us who don't want to use them know what they are, how they work, and why we don't want them. I don't use the radio on my Xbox. Heck, I don't use the radio AT ALL. When I do stuff outside of my room and want music, I use my Lumia 920, which has over 2,400 songs--more than enough to do the dishes to. I know where my controller is at all times, so I don't need to find it.

You are making the assumption that we all want our console to serve as a single machine for controlling all media, but that's not how we all work. I use my gaming console for gaming. If I turn on my Xbox, it's to play a game. I don't turn it on to watch Netflix (which I don't use) or listen to music (do that with my phone) or to play with non-gaming applications (have my PC for that). If my Xbox is being turned on, there is a 99.99% chance I am going to play a game, with the .01% exception being when I go to start a download of a game (after which I turn my Xbox off and let the download run in the background, like with Games for Gold titles). Because of that reality, I don't need voice commands. Telling my Xbox to turn on does not serve a useful purpose over pressing a button on my controller, it just does not.

My desktop is my multi-use device, not my Xbox. You're telling us to open out minds to new possibilities, but maybe you should open your mind to the idea that we're not all looking for our consoles to do all of the stuff that you want.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I get it, u dont have a need for it. If all ur doing is playing games that's cool. I try to make the most out of my devices, and utilize them to make my life easier. My only source of entertainment is netflix, and over the air broadcast. I stream music from my computer to my phone and other devices. You seem very "one track" minded which is fine, i like using different inputs and experimenting with different and possibly better ways of doing things. It's just nice when im walking up the stairs with laundry in my hands to say "xbox next" and it will play the next song. Heck even playing on my PC ill use my xbox for music so while im in a team fight in LoL i dont have to alt-tab or hit the media keys on my keyboard. "xbox next" is all i need.

When it comes to games tho i do agree with you Kinect at this point is next to worthless. Maybe there will be something that i never imagined would be cool or fun but other then working out and going bowling i dont see much use for it. honestly i wish i could use more voice input for my phone. it would be great to go "phone add to shopping list: peanut butter, bread, cookies, etc" because im that lazy.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It still remains to be seen, but subtle things that may be added to non-“Kinect” games could be a winning feature. Things like tracking your movements and allowing you to look around corners, shrug off zombies, attract zombies by making too much racket, switch who’s gamer tag signed in on a particular controller, pause movies cause you left the room, etc… I’m sure some dev will come up with some mind blowing way to integrate it into their game.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
attract zombies by making too much racket

While this is a pretty cool feature, it is actually something that turns me off to the Kinect. I like to play my games with music on quite a bit, so it would suck if I had to change my gaming habits to make use of the Kinect (though if the feature wasn't there, I'd have nothing to be impressed by). I wonder if the game maybe creates a baseline level of noise in the room, and the zombies react when that relative level of noise increases, or there is just a general threshold.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
While this is a pretty cool feature, it is actually something that turns me off to the Kinect. I like to play my games with music on quite a bit, so it would suck if I had to change my gaming habits to make use of the Kinect (though if the feature wasn't there, I'd have nothing to be impressed by). I wonder if the game maybe creates a baseline level of noise in the room, and the zombies react when that relative level of noise increases, or there is just a general threshold.

Are you streaming the music through the 360 while playing games or using something else for the music? Just asking cause the Kinect on the One is supposed to be able to noise cancel out just about all the sound its pumping out to your TV... in other words, I believe you'd have no problems streaming music to the One while playing a game that is responding to noise you make, like Dead Rising 3... Kinect 2.0 Voice Hear Demo - YouTube

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos