10-28-2013 03:42 PM
40 12
tools
    Cloud is the game changer IMO. Kinect for all is nifty enough, but cloud gaming has interesting possibilities. Think of what Nintendo does with games like Animal Crossing, where user created content is passed back and forth all over the place. Now Nintendo is a big moneymaker and can afford to do stuff like that. Imagine if *all* developers could do stuff like that...

From an artist's perspective, that's like having somebody buy you a Cintiq because you had an itch to draw something.
    10-22-2013 05:30 PM
    The user-created thing speaks as much to Project Spark as the dedicated servers, but I agree that those dedicated servers are one of my favorite things coming. No more of the host-related garbage and lag-switches or whatever. When people cry about lag, you can finally just tell them to get better Internet or get better hands, because you cannot blame the connection of the host when the host is hundreds of thousands of servers from a premiere tech company.
    10-22-2013 05:38 PM
    Here's my breakdown for anyone still unsure about these platforms. This is what I believe will differentiate them.

Xbox One
    - Vastly improved controller featuring rumble triggers, higher precison and a much more refined control scheme.
    - Kinect 2.0 is now mandatory with all consoles, a much higher precision motion tracking device that is fully integrated into the Xbox One. So things like UI navigation will be a vastly superior to competing platforms.
    - 1.3 TF GPU + 8GB DDR3 (10% reserved for OS/Kinect function) - this will dictate the 'ceiling' games can reach during the platforms lifecycle. Personally I think this won't matter too much, games will still look great.
    - Xbox LIVE, paid multiplayer. Arguably better online capabilities.
    - Xbox Entertainment, Exclusive TV Shows (Halo + Quantum Break announced so far)
    - Exclusive games have been moslty revealed for the next year. This really depends on your tastes. Halo, Quantum Break, Titanfall, Ryse are notable games coming.
    - Console can double as a dev unit for Indie devs

PS4
    - Dualshock 4 is VASTLY improved and a lot better than previous iterations. The controllers are both equal in my opinion and will boil down to preference.
    - PS+ online that has superior value for money, is now paid multiplayer
    - PS Eye (Optional) will likely be a niche device with little support
    - 1.8 TF GPU + 8 GB DDR5, PS4 has Xbox One clearly beat in the graphics department. What does this mean for games? Most games will likely look similar in the first 3 years, after tha difference will be noticed. Will it matter? That's upto the gamer.
    - Exclusive games, Sony had a very strong lineup in exclusive games so the next gen is looking very good for them (despite having fewer AAA games announced). Games like inFamous, The Order 1886 and Killzone.
    - Great Indie Support

Personally I find the entertainment extras Xbox is offering and it's amazing online infrastructure is proven. The paywall can be a pain for non-subscribers but great for those
    10-23-2013 10:12 AM
    TachyonicCargo just sold me on XboxOne ;) you did sway me though!
    Last edited by TomInAmsterdam; 10-24-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    10-24-2013 07:45 AM
    Interesting article...

PS4 and Xbox One are almost identical according to Resident Evil creator | Games | Geek.com

So, according to Shinji Mikami, both systems are near identical from a performance standpoint.
    10-24-2013 10:47 AM
    Interesting article...

PS4 and Xbox One are almost identical according to Resident Evil creator | Games | Geek.com

So, according to Shinji Mikami, both systems are near identical from a performance standpoint.
    Maybe I'm just a negative Nancy, but the verdict feels a bit off, at least compared to most of the reporting going on. Sure, "if both have same performance and one is 100usd cheaper, it's better", but it's funny since this one is basically a pretty big blow into the ranks of the PS fanboys and if they can do something better than the Xbox, they sure are vocal about it, but even this news which basically is reworded "Xbox One is more powerful than anticipated/PS4 is less powerful than anticipated", they still turn it into a small victory for the PS4, da fuq :P

But I'm happy that they still seemed to have a fairly neutral verdict as it should be - go for exclusives and/or financial and/or Kinect.
    10-24-2013 10:50 AM
    We'll just have to wait till Nov. 22 to see if the Kinect features truely make $100 price jump worth it. (I think it will be)

I am happy there isn't a base model without the Kinect, but if it doesn't work as prommised, yeah I'll be a little miffed.
    10-24-2013 10:57 AM
    For me the extra 100 isn't in Kinect alone. It's in actually having an ecosystem, too. PS has no worthwhile ecosystem cos PSVita is an extremely niche device. Also being built from the ground up with cloud in mind is important too, even if uses now would be Limited.

I have to wait till 2014 anyways as a finn :(
    berty6294 and Courtney S like this.
    10-24-2013 10:58 AM
    I was about to post that exact same thing. All about ecosystem no matter what device you buy!
    10-24-2013 11:04 AM
    For me the extra 100 isn't in Kinect alone. It's in actually having an ecosystem, too. PS has no worthwhile ecosystem cos PSVita is an extremely niche device. Also being built from the ground up with cloud in mind is important too, even if uses now would be Limited.

I have to wait till 2014 anyways as a finn :(
    Thing is, just as the ecosystem can sell Windows Phones or Xboxes, it could be hypothesized that the ecosystem could help sell the Vita. If they get the cross-platform saves going well and do more of the 2-for-1 deals where you get the Vita and PS3/4 games in one package, it could be a solid incentive to look into the handheld.
    10-24-2013 04:47 PM
    But I think we can agree that even if Vita became really popular, it would hardly be comparable to Microsofts ecosystem.

Im also just talking mostly about myself. Most people arnt anywhere near as invested to MS ecosystem than I am, but no matter how popular Vita gets, the chances for me to get one are almost nonexistant. I just have no interest for mobile gaming, even on MS-platforms :P
    10-25-2013 03:58 AM
    Same story, I have no interest in any Sony products. However, I disagree on the first part, somewhat. While I won't get a Vita, I would prefer the Vita setup (with cloud saves and cross-platform gaming) over the only similarity between Microsoft products (outside of Project Spark) being a label. Xbox games don;t carry over to PC or Windows Phone, but I'd love to see that happen.
    10-25-2013 09:35 AM
    I don't generally give credence to articles like this, but it was an interesting read...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...o-outship-ps4/

I haven't checked to confirm, but they are stating that eBay prices are at 60% higher for the One, vs. 50% for the PS4. While this may be what people are trying to sell them for, is anyone going to pay that much extra for a launch date system when there will probably be units sitting in shelves a couple of weeks after launch?
    10-28-2013 02:36 PM
    I don't think that he's using anything of value to draw those conclusions. eBay markups aren't a great signifier of demand. The only thing we can use to determine demand is sales, and that's something we can't analyze until supply catches up to demand.
    10-28-2013 03:21 PM
    I don't think that he's using anything of value to draw those conclusions. eBay markups aren't a great signifier of demand. The only thing we can use to determine demand is sales, and that's something we can't analyze until supply catches up to demand.
    I agree, but it is interesting the difference in price hikes on eBay.
    10-28-2013 03:42 PM
40 12