so what are the difference between Xbone and PS4 after all the changes?

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Personally I dont care about the TV stuff, I am from the UK and live in NL so the TV stuff will come here very late as MS are pretty crap at getting things into the EU and I watch my movies etc from my PC plugged into my TV.

All I care about is the gaming side of it but I cant find many good comparisons on that.

EDIT: I did another more recent search, seems PS4 really is better for games, I guess my issue is being so used to Xbox controller these days that i wonder how much different it will feel if I get a PS4

Last edited:

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Cool, I'm from NL but live in the UK :) I'm not particularly interested in TV stuff either, and by the looks of it we will not get it for a while anyway...

These are my personal reasons for choosing the xbone over the PS4, some points will answer your question while other points will not:

• I have an xbox 360 already;
  • Me, my mrs and the kids all have Windows phones;
  • Xbox controllers are just perfect (I'm excited about the new one actually);
  • Xbox music (best selection of music available in my opinion);
  • The thing runs 3 operating systems!;
  • Halo;
  • Kinect (I believe that now this is more integrated, it will improve gaming experience);
  • Multitasking by snapping windows to either side of the screen;
  • I love the look and feel of the metro design on the xbox, windows and windows phone;
  • Cloud gaming - I believe this to be the strongest selling point for the xbone. They have implemented this to future-proof the xbone. In the future we can see games that run solely in the cloud, meaning the hardware of the xbone does not make a difference for the performance. This enables game developers to publish games not normally available due to hardware limitations. This also means the xbone would outlast the PS4 and perhaps outperform it. This is all speculation from my side, but this is how I understand it;

The negative points of the PS4:

• You have to buy a stand (I got this from an article, so it might be wrong) separately???;
  • It can only stand up vertically (again from an article)??;
  • The PS Eye has to be purchased separately, meaning developers won't bother with it much and as such it is not as good as the kinect;
  • I'm not really into indie games, which seems to be the main selling point of the PS4;
  • The controllers are absolutely shocking (no pun intended lol).

All of the above is of course my personal opinion and some of it might be wrong, so I do apologise in advance for that.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion they are fairly similar. Some will say the PS4 is better for games. I think that is completely false. I definitely don't believe that to be true for me. Here's some of the reasons i'm getting an Xbox One. I love the xbox controller it just feels right so I imagine the Xbox one controller to be better. I am excited for the games that are going to be released for the xbox one: Project Spark, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, I'm gaining more interest in Ryse. Also I think the Zoo Tycoon game looks like a lot of fun if they get the controls right. Also I have always found that Xbox Live has been better for online play than PSN and I imagine Microsoft will continue that trend with the next generation. They did say they are adding 300,000 servers so that's a good point for xbox live. Another factor might be where your friends will be playing online.

So in my opinion it comes down to what controller you like, the games you would like to play, and the online experience and the overall experience of the console. These are in no specific order according to priority. But that's what it comes down for me. I hope this helps you decide. Either way I think they are both great consoles it just comes down to your personal preference. Good luck with your decision!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
With regard to indi games... MS has been making some changes and has made it easier/cheaper for indie companies to produce games on the One... In fact, every retail One can be used as a dev device... I've heard actual dev units, both from Sony and MS, are more expensive than the retail counterparts, so this may be a big deal for a dev.

XBox One:
More comfortable controller (opinion)
Independent vibration of the triggers on the controller
Kinect Included (Although some don't like that it is included)
Kinect features (heart rate monitoring, gamer tag switching, voice control)
TV functionality (which you stated you don’t care for)
Exclusive games (debatable)
Every retail One can be used as a developer kit
Cloud computing

PS4:
touch pad on controller (not an LCD display as some are claiming)
eye toy is sold separately (some say this is an advantage)
Graphics GPU (although the end results will more than likely be negligible, will have to wait and see… see PS3 vs. 360)
Exclusive games (debatable)

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As an owner of a 360 and a PS3, I would say the PS3 has some better games in some way.... Take a look at Uncharted (1,2 or 3), The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls for example, there is nothing like those games on the 360 and they are all MIND blowing games, just epic stories and they really feel like your playing a movie. The reviews on these games support that. With that being said, I still like my xbox 360 more than the PS3... and I think it will be the same for the Xbox One and PS4...

I pre-ordered a XBone, but, the moment Naugy Dog releases a title for the PS4....I will be buying one. If you can afford it, I would suggest to by them both, so you can get he best of both worlds..

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That's how YOU feel, though. I don't really gravitate to those kinds of games. I like shooters, and nothing Sony offers on that front can touch Gears of War, and Gears of War can't touch Halo, in my book. I also like Forza over Gran Turismo, whose fourth installment was terribly boring (in my opinion). Sony offers a wider variety of quality exclusives, I'd agree, but their bread-and-butter stuff like you mentioned is secondary to what I like with games.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That's how YOU feel, though. I don't really gravitate to those kinds of games. I like shooters, and nothing Sony offers on that front can touch Gears of War, and Gears of War can't touch Halo, in my book. I also like Forza over Gran Turismo, whose fourth installment was terribly boring (in my opinion). Sony offers a wider variety of quality exclusives, I'd agree, but their bread-and-butter stuff like you mentioned is secondary to what I like with games.

And that is how YOU feel about it...

I agree with you there but, different gamers prefer different games. I like games with the a very deep story that really drags you into the game to feel like your the person your playing. As a long time gamer I really like games like that and there are some key titles that the PS3 does better than any 360 game. With that being said besides the common AAA games, the exclusives are what I discussed. This is not just my feeling, read the reviews of the games I said, the reviewer say the same things about them.

On the other side of it, I love Gears of War, like halo and love the Forza series. No question better than the PS3 options for those types of games but, there are some great exclusive games for the PS3 for shooters that are also really good. As the common shooters are on all systems and I play more COD/BF more than any other game, so I hear ya...

Personally to me, it's all about the games, I wont buy a system because it has fancy TV features or all this other bells and whistles, I am in it for the games anyway about it...Both systems are almost equal in their specs (PS4 a little higher but, questionable if it will make a noticable difference), The games are what are the difference and they both have their titles.

Buy the system you prefer more, they both have their advantages but only each person can deside that one...

I still like my 360 more and use it a LOT more than the PS3 but, As this is a Microsoft site, I wanted to allow a fair thought for the requestor, because he could be missing some great titles by picking the system that we just prefer on this site...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would go for whatever has the exclusives that work for you. Both platforms have great exclusives and this is just a matter of preferance and not some ultimate truth. Multiplatforms are the same and they will be optimized for X1 just fine. PS4 has more power than X1, PS3 also had more power than 360 but in the long run was that a huge problem? Personally I see X1 more future proof by being built around/for the cloud from the scratch, even if there won't be huge implementations at the start.

Personally I'm quite invested in Microsofts ecosystem, and I'm interested in Kinect and TV stuff too, so it's quite a nobrainer for me, especially when the PS exclusives don't really move me as much as the Xbox ones either.

Price is also a legit concern, since you arnt so interested in the extras of Xbox one, you might want to pay 50-100e less (depending where) for the PS. But only the superior controller is worth the extra money for me lol.

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
This is about the best comparison I have seen, I guess as it seems honest the fact the PS4 is a bit more powerful is the concern:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/xbox-one-vs-sony-ps4

I have an xbox 360 already
Me, my mrs and the kids all have Windows phones;
Xbox controllers are just perfect (I'm excited about the new one actually);

I am all of the above although single :)

Xbox music (best selection of music available in my opinion);
I agree its nice although personally makes no difference on the Xbox for me as I run things through PC and Amp

The thing runs 3 operating systems!;
Bit confused by this?

Kinect (I believe that now this is more integrated, it will improve gaming experience);
Agree although my place in Amsterdam is facing the canal in the centre so I need curtains ;)

Multitasking by snapping windows to either side of the screen;
Doesnt affect me really as Ill just be using it for games.

I love the look and feel of the metro design on the xbox, windows and windows phone;
Again i agree but again not sure how much it will affect me once I am in a game

The negative points of the PS4:

The PS Eye has to be purchased separately, meaning developers won't bother with it much and as such it is not as good as the kinect;
Definitely agreed, I think its a good reason to pay more and integrate it, devs know everyone has one so take advantage of it.

I'm not really into indie games, which seems to be the main selling point of the PS4;
Same, i dont tend to play games that much anymore so Ill just buy top ones 1-2 times a year.

The controllers are absolutely shocking (no pun intended lol).
Probably the big reason I think Ill go XB1.

I guess the whole twice as powerful PS4 is a bit of a concern although i think its only going to show in the exclusives.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It is not twice as powerful, "40-50% more GPU computing" does not mean the whole system was "twice as powerful" as that would mean it was 100% more, not 50% and even then GPU performance is only one piece of the puzzle. While PS4 will likely run at a bit higher average FPS, multiplatforms will be optimized primarly for lowest denominator anyways. PS4 exclusives will likely look better though, just like PS3 exclusives look a bit better than Xbox exclusives atm. Then there's the whole GDDR5 thing, but it makes me wonder why not a single kickass super gaming rig PC goes for GDDR5. I'm sure there are benefits to it too, but I don't think this makes or breaks anything in the end.

The three operating systems isn't really something I consider as a huge advantage, but what he means is that there's basically 3 operating systems in the background of X1. The one that runs games, the one that runs the Windows 8-esque part of it and the third that tie the two together to a seamless experience.

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I do like story type games over shooters but I was actually a bit disappointed with Uncharted 2 and found it a bit too linear, I think ill end up going XB1 in the end as I have Win8, getting a Win8 tablet, have a WP8..... god I sound like an MS ****** ;)

money isnt really an issue although considering I play 1-2 games a year buying both could be a bit excessive!

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned a PS3, but my buddy let me borrow his for a few weeks to play The Last of Us. While it was a good game i got bored with it pretty quick. I wasn't a fan of the combat system. The voice acting was really the only thing that kept me playing. I didn't beat the game, but that is more because i like gaming on my PC so much more right now. GTA V has pulled me back to my 360 for a few hours every now and then but still the majority of my gaming is still done on my PC. I will get the XBOne eventually, but probably not until there is a game i REALLY want, probably halo 5. And if there is a limited edition console ill probably get that.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
There has been only one game - story wise - to pull me into it where I got lost in the lore, the story, and the grandeur. That game was the Mass Effect trilogy (which began on the XBOX 360). At the end of the 3rd game, I agonized for about 20 minutes (I'm serious) over which way decision to make. NO game has ever had that pull on me. The only other game to come close to the 'emotional' attachment I felt with Mass Effect was The Walking Dead episodic game.

Uncharted 1,2, and 3 were awesome. Heavy Rain was 'ok,' and The Last of Us was pretty good too. There is only one problem. Once I beat those game and knew the story - nothing has compelled me (so far) to play them again. Yes, they are epic games to play and everyone should play them at some point. But, after they're done, they're done (my opinion of course). Yet, games like Halo and Gears of War will drag me back in every once in awhile because of their multiplayer and social aspect.

The epic story games are great, but for me. Once they're done I'm done with them. Games haven't transcended 'movies' or 'good books' for me yet. I want to watch good movies again and read a book a 2nd or 3rd time. But, for many games I haven't gotten to that point yet...

But, I love the TV features and potential of the XBOX One, and like the kinect possibilities.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
See, I'm in a different boat. I don't watch movies much because I am terrible at sitting there in silence for 2-3 hours. I'm about to make an exception by watching the 6 Babylon 5 movies, as I am about to finish up the TV series. I'm also not one to go back and replay a campaign OR watch a movie, because the surprise is gone. I'll rewatch sitcoms, and I rewatched Doctor Who and parts of Stargate SG-1, but it's really only comedies that I can be thoroughly entertained by multiple times. The only way I replay a video game's campaign if it's co-op to help someone. It's why I HATE how Gears of War makes you beat the campaign once before unlocking the Insane difficulty, because I never go back and re-beat it (the exception being the first one, which I was able to convince myself to do).

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people claim the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One based on hardware alone. They don't consider the software side of things though. The games don't talk directly to hardware. They talk to APIs which talk to the OS which talk to drivers which talk to the hardware. That's quite a few layers and translations that can result in major performance loses if not done properly. MS has a whole lot of experience designing, coding, and optimizing all of these software layers (especially on PC based hardware). I suspect that advantage outweighs the relatively minor differences in hardware.

Also, the APIs and software development tools used by programmers to write their games is an important factor. MS is second to none when it comes to quality development tools and consistent/efficient APIs. Down the road, I expect to hear developers saying that writing optimized games is much more efficient for the Xbox One platform compared to the PS4 platform. Only time will tell, but that is my prediction based on my own experience as a programmer working in both MS and non-MS environments.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
IDK about the driver thing and MS being better than Sony at that sort of thing... I did read somewhere that the new "optimized" drivers for the One had lower performance than the previous drivers... Granted, that was weeks, if not a month or 2 ago so all could be fixed by now or before launch.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Ur on a Windows Phone forum asking which is better ps4 or the Xbox 1. Of course 90% of people on here are gonna say Xbox1 is better.

In my opinion u should never be invested too much into 1 eco system. Say a year down the line you don't like a Microsoft product and want to buy a rival be it apple, android or whatever. But u are so far invested into Microsoft its becomes to expensive to get another device.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I think it's just down to personal preference. Me personally, i'd get both systems since both have exclusives and features I want. I don't get why people act like they need to pigeon hole themselves into one choice.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh and personally i have pre ordered the ps4. I have a ps3 and don't really fancy the xbox1 as i feel the ps4 is better overall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb