Dell just said Windows 8 Apps will work on XO.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If this really ends up being true, then the Xbox One could potentially compliment Microsoft's Surface line as a "Windows RT" (in the sense of a version of Windows limited to running WinRT/Metro apps) desktop computer. Just needs keyboard and mouse support.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
If this really ends up being true, then the Xbox One could potentially compliment Microsoft's Surface line as a "Windows RT" (in the sense of a version of Windows limited to running WinRT/Metro apps) desktop computer. Just needs keyboard and mouse support.

I believe that the Xbox One runs on x86, meaning it would not be limited to WinRT apps (that are limited to ones compiled for ARM), that said, I do get your point that since X1 lacks a desktop, you probably won't see Photoshop running on it :D But there are a handful of apps that havn't been made for ARM, even if they are from the Win 8 app store.

As for this "news", I would sorta take it easy on this one. I'm pretty sure that at least "porting" the apps over to Xbox One will be easy and you can easily develop to Win 8 as well as Xbox One in almost one go, but I would not expect to get access to the same apps by default.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's x86, but it's also not Windows. You have shared portions of Windows on the console, but there's a reason why Apple devices running x86 hardware don't have all of the software support that Windows machines do.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I was just musing and didn't explain my thinking well. I put "Windows RT" in scare-quotes because I'm thinking of it not as "Windows on ARM" but rather as "a version of Windows restricted to running WinRT (aka 'Metro' or 'Windows Store') apps as opposed to traditional Win32/Win64 desktop apps". In this second interpretation, Microsoft could at some point release "Windows RT for Intel/AMD", and if the Xbox One was opened up like that it would be a sort of trial balloon.

I don't expect Microsoft to unify the app stores between Windows 8/RT/Xbox One as the Dell page appears to imply, but it would certainly be interesting if they did. (I do find it interesting that despite Microsoft's reported denial, Dell's page for the Xbox One hasn't changed, though.) Among the issues is something I saw in comments on another site; doing so would effectively remove services like Netflix and Hulu+ from behind the Xbox Live Gold paywall, and unfortunately, I don't believe MS is ready to do that. Though if they were, this would be the way to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes