10-02-2015 05:48 PM
47 12
tools
    I can try when I get home. I'd suggest SmartGlass though. Still, I'll try it...
    Agreed, SmartGlass on a large display would be a winner here.
    12-03-2013 11:46 AM
    I'm sorry I couldn't find my wireless keyboard :/
    aldovelco likes this.
    12-03-2013 11:03 PM
    I think I read this from the official Xbox forums, wireless keyboards with the reciever-USB dongle work with Xbox One. However the system must be completely powered off, then the dongle inserted and the the console cold booted. It won't work with just "plug and play" when the device is running and apparently not even from the instant-on standby mode.

I can't find the thread anymore to get more exact specifics, so I can't guarantee what exact wireless keyboard would work, but if you have a wireless keyboard with one of those USB-based reciever dongles, try turning off the Xbox One completely, then inserting that to one of the USB slots and powering the device and see if the keyboard is working.
    12-08-2013 04:16 PM
    After using SmartGlass for a week now, I don't see why I'd ever bother with a wireless keyboard/mouse. Not only SmartGlass has a virtual keyboard and trackpad, but other media functions, XBox Home key and back button.
    12-08-2013 04:39 PM
    I think I read this from the official Xbox forums, wireless keyboards with the reciever-USB dongle work with Xbox One. However the system must be completely powered off, then the dongle inserted and the the console cold booted. It won't work with just "plug and play" when the device is running and apparently not even from the instant-on standby mode.
    I can confirm. You can use either a wired USB keyboard or a wireless USB Keyboard. I have a generic IOGear HTPC keyboard that is wireless with a USB dongle. Works great.

You do need to have the keyboard already plugged in at cold boot up. So two ways to do a cold boot-up: 1) you hold your finger or the front power button until the Xbox completely turns off (around 10 seconds). Then press it again to power it on (after you had plugged in the keyboard). OR 2) you unplug the Xbox from the outlet.

I'm sure they'll patch in hotswapping as it's completely stupid to not have plug and play with USB. As "neat" as the SmartGlass is for typing messages, a real keyboard is better, especially since on my phone, Xbox SmartGlass doesn't rotate to landscape so I have to type in vertical orientation which is terrible in this app (wish they used the corrective in MS Office which is spectacular and much better than the system level corrective text).
    12-08-2013 05:40 PM
    I can confirm. You can use either a wired USB keyboard or a wireless USB Keyboard. I have a generic IOGear HTPC keyboard that is wireless with a USB dongle. Works great.

You do need to have the keyboard already plugged in at cold boot up. So two ways to do a cold boot-up: 1) you hold your finger or the front power button until the Xbox completely turns off (around 10 seconds). Then press it again to power it on (after you had plugged in the keyboard). OR 2) you unplug the Xbox from the outlet.

I'm sure they'll patch in hotswapping as it's completely stupid to not have plug and play with USB. As "neat" as the SmartGlass is for typing messages, a real keyboard is better, especially since on my phone, Xbox SmartGlass doesn't rotate to landscape so I have to type in vertical orientation which is terrible in this app (wish they used the corrective in MS Office which is spectacular and much better than the system level corrective text).
    The whole idea of SmartGlass is to use it on a tablet form-factor. I already had an iPad, so it that gets more use now. Other people will have Nexus 10, Surface, etc...
    12-08-2013 06:06 PM
    After using SmartGlass for a week now, I don't see why I'd ever bother with a wireless keyboard/mouse. Not only SmartGlass has a virtual keyboard and trackpad, but other media functions, XBox Home key and back button.
    I would because I HATE typing on touchscreens.
    12-08-2013 10:22 PM
    OR OR 3) Put your Xbox One into Power Saver mode in the Settings and then shutting down.
    12-09-2013 03:35 PM

Thanks for that tidbit. I was surprised when I first booted it up and couldn't sign in with a keyboard.
    12-09-2013 06:29 PM
    I tried using Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 keyboard but it did not work even after cold boot.
    12-24-2013 05:16 AM
    I can verify that a Ligitech wireless (not Bluetooth) keyboard works. I turned the Xbox One all the way off, inserted the dongle, and fired it back up. It works well. There are some places a keyboard does not work, like the Amazon Instant app, because it is programmed to use the controller to select letters.
    12-24-2013 10:17 AM
    Year 2014 and still existing Bluetooth is FAIL. Slow... slow.... s l o w... interface.
    01-03-2014 08:28 AM
    Year 2014 and still existing Bluetooth is FAIL. Slow... slow.... s l o w... interface.
    Agreed, they should have gone with an industry standard.
    02-16-2014 02:48 PM
    Ok, Riddle me this ( a Riddler reference if you didnt get it).

What will people be typing on the keyboard besides messages and minor GUI things? Can you actually play games with a Keyboard and Mouse and map keys like done on a PC ? Using WSAD, space bar, Mouse for fire, scroll to change weapons, etc.... This would be EPIC.

Personally besides waiting for a keyboard addon to the contoller like I have for the 360, I cant see alot of other use for it, or something I would use much.

I use my Xbox one MAINLY for games (95%) and chatting with my friends and family (that I prefer on the 360 now because it's easier and not everyone has a Xbox one yet).

Is this even possable ? Could be a very unfair advantage for some people...
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 02-27-2014 at 11:18 AM.
    02-26-2014 10:28 AM
    Ok, Riddle me this ( a Joker reference if you didnt get it).
    No, The Riddler said that catch phrase; not the Joker.
    Rhody#WP likes this.
    02-26-2014 12:30 PM
    Most games don't allow keyboard to be used for playing, but KB and mouse would make the Xbox One a pretty decent living room facebook machine on the big screen, you know using it for the typical web browsing things most people buy a tablet or a laptop for.
    02-26-2014 01:51 PM
    Most games don't allow keyboard to be used for playing, but KB and mouse would make the Xbox One a pretty decent living room facebook machine on the big screen, you know using it for the typical web browsing things most people buy a tablet or a laptop for.
    How I wish the One explodes and companies design their sites around a snapped view of IE11. I was using it this weekend while watching TV and it is OK...but could just be absolutely awesome if sites formatted correctly. The biggest issue though is how big do you make the fonts.

In the full screen view, it just works very well though. Currently, I use my phone to type via the Smartglass app...but the issue with that is you can't surf well because you don't have the triggers to zoom and the dual joysticks to scroll and pan.

Imagine a keyboard with sticks and triggers.... :drool: hahaha
    02-26-2014 01:58 PM
    They could always go for mobile version of the site if snapped, that would pretty much automatically be formated for it...
    02-26-2014 02:21 PM
    No, The Riddler said that catch phrase; not the Joker.
    D'oh....thanks

I guess, I also have a tablet, a phone, a home theater PC and other things that can access facebook, even my Dish Hopper can do it (and not a bad job for what it is). I still dont see a major use for it (not something I would use a lot of).

I guess it's just a matter of time, with the 360 there is a 3rd party adapter that emulates the controls from a controler to use a Keyboard for games. Not sure if MS blocked or not, never used it personally, just knew about it.

I was playing Titanfall beta on the PC (got into both betas, Xbox one and PC), and it still seems I am way more accurate with a keybord and mouse than a Xbox controller (but, yes, I can hold my own, that is for sure)
    02-27-2014 11:11 AM
    Not all USB keyboards work. My Merc Stealth does not work with my Xbox One. It's rather disappointing compared to PS4. My $180 wireless headset doesn't work either, when on PS4 I can just plug the receiver in to the USB on the console and bam, it works.
    04-04-2015 02:09 PM
    Dont know what wearing tails is about but V funny aw the same. Anyhoo, if u get smartglass app on ur surface, hey presto, WIRELESS KEYBOARD!!! Its not brain surgery???
    07-04-2015 09:44 AM
    Getting in way late on this conversation, but I think not adding bluetooth is a pain in the arse also. I prefer wireless headsets because a) I hate using the Kinect for in-game b) I like to be able to set my controller down and go pee without having to take the headset off (there's a mute button) and c) my dog likes to jump off my lap and rip cords out. Also, the fact that there are only 3 usb ports limits what you can add, even if you use a unifying dongle like Logitech's setup. I have an external HDD plugged into one and a TV tuner plugged into another. That means if I want to use the third for a keyboard/mouse combo, which I really don't because that would mean a second keyboard/mouse because I already have a bluetooth keyboard and wireless mouse for my home theater/gaming PC hooked up to my 70" TV, it also means I have to unplug something when I want to charge/update my controller because 3 USB ports are not enough. **** poor planning. I also would really love to use my TV tuner directly into the Xbox and have my PC plugged into the HMDI in as a passthrough, but it doesn't support that because it only has one way to access either input, and that's the Watch TV function. I would really love to have my Xbox control everything because it's much more convenient, and involves ONE remote, but sadly Microsoft didn't think that entirely through. They need to get some better Business Analysts in their program.
    10-02-2015 05:48 PM
47 12