Xbox One compatible keyboards: Does Xbox One have Bluetooth or just USB?

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
XBOX ONE is not only a videogame anymore... With Bluetooth we could connect a lot of devices like keyboard and mouse.

being a video game console and an entertainment console are not mutually exclusive.

You know what allows you to connect even more devices than Bluetooth? USB.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
being a video game console and an entertainment console are not mutually exclusive.

You know what allows you to connect even more devices than Bluetooth? USB.

Well, until you use a console with a 3-port limit. The Logitech solution (multiple connections to one USB accessory) seems the only real route here though. However, the main thing here is the clamor for mouse and keyboard is stupid. The OS is Kinect- and controller-optimized. You don't have a mouse pointer on the Xbox. A keyboard can help for searching on IE or something, but that's something SmartGlass can help resolve (unless you're terrible at typing on touchscreens, like I am). Ultimately, if you're mad about wanting mouse and keyboard support, there's this mufti-purpose product to handle that already, and it's called a computer. This is a moronic thing to really worry about, because these are consoles, not gaming PCs.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think I read this from the official Xbox forums, wireless keyboards with the reciever-USB dongle work with Xbox One. However the system must be completely powered off, then the dongle inserted and the the console cold booted. It won't work with just "plug and play" when the device is running and apparently not even from the instant-on standby mode.

I can't find the thread anymore to get more exact specifics, so I can't guarantee what exact wireless keyboard would work, but if you have a wireless keyboard with one of those USB-based reciever dongles, try turning off the Xbox One completely, then inserting that to one of the USB slots and powering the device and see if the keyboard is working.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
After using SmartGlass for a week now, I don't see why I'd ever bother with a wireless keyboard/mouse. Not only SmartGlass has a virtual keyboard and trackpad, but other media functions, XBox Home key and back button.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I think I read this from the official Xbox forums, wireless keyboards with the reciever-USB dongle work with Xbox One. However the system must be completely powered off, then the dongle inserted and the the console cold booted. It won't work with just "plug and play" when the device is running and apparently not even from the instant-on standby mode.

I can confirm. You can use either a wired USB keyboard or a wireless USB Keyboard. I have a generic IOGear HTPC keyboard that is wireless with a USB dongle. Works great.

You do need to have the keyboard already plugged in at cold boot up. So two ways to do a cold boot-up: 1) you hold your finger or the front power button until the Xbox completely turns off (around 10 seconds). Then press it again to power it on (after you had plugged in the keyboard). OR 2) you unplug the Xbox from the outlet.

I'm sure they'll patch in hotswapping as it's completely stupid to not have plug and play with USB. As "neat" as the SmartGlass is for typing messages, a real keyboard is better, especially since on my phone, Xbox SmartGlass doesn't rotate to landscape so I have to type in vertical orientation which is terrible in this app (wish they used the corrective in MS Office which is spectacular and much better than the system level corrective text).

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm. You can use either a wired USB keyboard or a wireless USB Keyboard. I have a generic IOGear HTPC keyboard that is wireless with a USB dongle. Works great.

You do need to have the keyboard already plugged in at cold boot up. So two ways to do a cold boot-up: 1) you hold your finger or the front power button until the Xbox completely turns off (around 10 seconds). Then press it again to power it on (after you had plugged in the keyboard). OR 2) you unplug the Xbox from the outlet.

I'm sure they'll patch in hotswapping as it's completely stupid to not have plug and play with USB. As "neat" as the SmartGlass is for typing messages, a real keyboard is better, especially since on my phone, Xbox SmartGlass doesn't rotate to landscape so I have to type in vertical orientation which is terrible in this app (wish they used the corrective in MS Office which is spectacular and much better than the system level corrective text).

The whole idea of SmartGlass is to use it on a tablet form-factor. I already had an iPad, so it that gets more use now. Other people will have Nexus 10, Surface, etc...

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site

OR OR 3) Put your Xbox One into Power Saver mode in the Settings and then shutting down.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for that tidbit. I was surprised when I first booted it up and couldn't sign in with a keyboard.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I can verify that a Ligitech wireless (not Bluetooth) keyboard works. I turned the Xbox One all the way off, inserted the dongle, and fired it back up. It works well. There are some places a keyboard does not work, like the Amazon Instant app, because it is programmed to use the controller to select letters.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Riddle me this ( a Riddler reference if you didnt get it).

What will people be typing on the keyboard besides messages and minor GUI things? Can you actually play games with a Keyboard and Mouse and map keys like done on a PC ? Using WSAD, space bar, Mouse for fire, scroll to change weapons, etc.... This would be EPIC.

Personally besides waiting for a keyboard addon to the contoller like I have for the 360, I cant see alot of other use for it, or something I would use much.

I use my Xbox one MAINLY for games (95%) and chatting with my friends and family (that I prefer on the 360 now because it's easier and not everyone has a Xbox one yet).

Is this even possable ? Could be a very unfair advantage for some people...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel