8th Generation Console Launch = Potential Epic Fail

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
For the record, I am getting a Xbox One at launch, and a PS4 next spring. But I came across this video earlier today, and it mirrored some stuff that I had been hearing off and on for months (from other sources). However, with the mainstream games media unwilling to cover any of it, I let it all go at the time. But apparently, the truth does not go away so easily, as signs are pointing in the general direction, that most of this is coming to pass . . . and it is only after all that, which I came across this video. A video that puts a lot of things that people in the video game industry have not been willing to talk about, into perspective.

All I can say is, watch the entire video before commenting, and draw your own conclusions. One way of the other, we will all be brought into the light within the next few weeks.

PS4/Xbox One Launch Disasters Imminent! (Please Share) - YouTube

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
IDK, it's hard to believe MS would have done what they were doing if Sony wasn't on board as well... Anyhow, I'm sure they can get everything sorted out with regard to DRM removable and online play.

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
In time, I have no doubt that both companies will get things sorted. But I am beginning to doubt they will in time for the launch of their respective systems. But it really makes you wonder. Why would major publishers EA and Ubisoft give up their Online Pass programs, if both Sony and Microsoft were not in bed with the entire DRM thing? And there are a ton of other lingering questions from earlier in the year, that thankfully to the epic fail the gaming press delivered in their coverage, it could be years before the public truly knows the truth.

And look at the PS4 now. A day one patch for the system, that is required just to get the system to do anything besides offline gaming. Dude, that screams volumes. When the PS3 launched, it did not need an update just to get online to play games . . . or to play movies locally on the blu-ray player. Seriously, without that update, your shiny, new, Playstation 4, is little more than a $400 door stop. Now with Microsoft, we expected to have this update on day one of the system - after all, Microsoft announced the update the day they announced they will killing their DRM and digital sharing program for the Xbox One.

I'm thinking that the whole industry, Sony, Microsoft, all the major publishers, pretty much everyone behind the scenes, was in on this DRM thing from the very beginning. And between the SimCity fiasco in March, and the Xbox One "always on" leak in April, that Sony, and every other publisher out there just quietly backed away (instead of standing their ground) and let Microsoft take all the heat. Microsoft comes down as the heavy, while Sony points fingers and goes, "we'd never do that to our fans."

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Didn't watch past this guy claiming how reliable his sources were. Don't know what he was going on about but he is lying..

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things.

1. I wouldn't put much on DRM as to why EA gave up their online pass. They have been declining a lot lately in sales and have taken quite a few blows. They lost Tiger Woods as their sponsor for the PGA series, they can no longer use College Football players' "likeness", and it's no secret people have been pissed about their microtransactions and on disc DLC.

2. There was a twitter response by a Sony Executive who confirmed you don't need to update your PS4 in order to play games offline. But yes, if you want to go online and play with your buddies, I believe the patch is required. With that being said, video games tend to have day 1 patches due to bugs and what not all the time. Just the curse of working under a deadline.

Overall though, this is why I wait anywhere from 1-3 years. Wait for some awesome bundle to come out, have the game library increase (while decreasing some games in price), and have all those bugs and glitches be resolved.

Edit: Would be curious to see some hacker or developer get their hands on a fresh PS4 that doesn't have an update, and analyze the software to see if it has any DRM features on it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And look at the PS4 now. A day one patch for the system, that is required just to get the system to do anything besides offline gaming. Dude, that screams volumes . . . Seriously, without that update, your shiny, new, Playstation 4, is little more than a $400 door stop.

That's not really an intelligent analysis, in my opinion. I primarily play games offline right now, so to say offline gaming is the equivalent of a door stop doesn't make sense, at least to me. Besides, they said long ago that the Xbox One would need a Day-One update to get it running as well, because they're changing the DRM setup, like you said, but it's still a bit hypocritical to bash one company over the other about it.

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
That's not really an intelligent analysis, in my opinion. I primarily play games offline right now, so to say offline gaming is the equivalent of a door stop doesn't make sense, at least to me. Besides, they said long ago that the Xbox One would need a Day-One update to get it running as well, because they're changing the DRM setup, like you said, but it's still a bit hypocritical to bash one company over the other about it.

Not bashing one company over the other - I'd hope that anyone reading my entire post, could see that. Just pointing out the sudden announcement of the PS4 day one patch, is just further evidence that Sony was into this DRM thing all along. Perhaps I could have worded that better in the original post. But such are the perils of posting at almost 3am after a long night of binge Netflixing, when I should have been asleep.

The point however is, that BOTH systems need that day one patch to flush all traces of their previous DRM schemes from the system architecture. As in the case of both systems, the only thing you will be able to do on day one without said patches, is play offline. The only differences comes in that Microsoft was honest about the whole DRM thing upfront, while Sony was not, and have allowed people to believe in a lie for months. If I were running a business, I would likely do the same thing - after all, if grown people are really naive enough to think what is good for the gander[SUP]+++[/SUP], is somehow not good for the goose, then they deserve to being tricked into pouring their hard earned money into my company's coffers. But I am not running a company, I'm just an ordinary Joe like everyone else, and I personally feel that it is a really crummy thing to do to people.

[SUP]+++[/SUP] and by the gander, I mean Microsoft, Valve, Apple, Google, and the whole, bloody consumer electronics industry, as they all use some form of DRM to keep consumers locked into their respective ecosystems, and the overall trend seems to be the future that all consumable tech is headed into regardless of what medium said consumables come in

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Not bashing one company over the other - I'd hope that anyone reading my entire post, could see that. Just pointing out the sudden announcement of the PS4 day one patch, is just further evidence that Sony was into this DRM thing all along. Perhaps I could have worded that better in the original post. But such are the perils of posting at almost 3am after a long night of binge Netflixing, when I should have been asleep.

The point however is, that BOTH systems need that day one patch to flush all traces of their previous DRM schemes from the system architecture. As in the case of both systems, the only thing you will be able to do on day one without said patches, is play offline. The only differences comes in that Microsoft was honest about the whole DRM thing upfront, while Sony was not, and have allowed people to believe in a lie for months. If I were running a business, I would likely do the same thing - after all, if grown people are really naive enough to think what is good for the gander[SUP]+++[/SUP], is somehow not good for the goose, then they deserve to being tricked into pouring their hard earned money into my company's coffers. But I am not running a company, I'm just an ordinary Joe like everyone else, and I personally feel that it is a really crummy thing to do to people.

[SUP]+++[/SUP] and by the gander, I mean Microsoft, Valve, Apple, Google, and the whole, bloody consumer electronics industry, as they all use some form of DRM to keep consumers locked into their respective ecosystems, and the overall trend seems to be the future that all consumable tech is headed into regardless of what medium said consumables come in

Conspiracy Theory created by you.

Until it's proven, then you are just misunderstanding a harmless motive. I'm an Xbox ******, but the obvious reason is that Sony did not have all of it's operating system/software finished and needed to begin production in order to meet the deadline. So the easiest thing to do was put the latest version of the operating system onto the chips during manufacturing and patch it with an update on Day One.

Please stop with the false rumors. Thanks.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
OMG! The 720p of the 1080p infrastructure of the network upgrades leaves the resolutions lacking!!! All hail the hellllll that we are about to experience!!!!!

/sarcasm.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...Whether it is just devs still learning how to get the most out of the Xbox or Xbox simply can't do it, it isn't good for one of the biggest titles in gaming to be better on the competitor.

Unless Sony has somehow managed to quadruple their online gaming experience, I don't consider the up converting to be an issue on Xbox One.

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't really see that it matters.
I mean, come on. 1080p only matters if you do gaming on a 40+" screen, and I'd be fine with a bit less than 60 fps.

But, apparently there are a lot of specheads in the console wars now.

Let us not forget that these are just Mid-Range PCs.
im not for one system or the other, I just wanted to refute the guy's sources. The stuff he was saying wasn't that mind blowing but if one thing was false, I assume it all is

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Let us not forget that these are just Mid-Range PCs.

Not true. You are not taking the hardware architecture into consideration. You are only looking at numbers.

A SOC with that power is much faster than a PC CPU with equal power. The 8 GB of DDR3/GDDR5 ram has direct integration (no memory bus to transfer through; directly connect to the CPU).

These consoles are comparable to high-range PC's, they just simply aren't at the top.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
They should kept the IBM PowerPC Architecture... Big Fail on this

You're kidding, right? The x86 move allows them to seek the Windows application compatibility, and I'm sure it's helped with the multitasking and such. Plus, do we even know if that was REMOTELY possible?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234