12-06-2013 04:33 PM
75 123
tools
    Uh I believe the COD series for the 360 were native 1040x600. I guess 720p isn't better than that?

And this is an initial 3rd party, I promise you, when developed correctly for the Xbox One platform, the games will look ages better than the PS4, and I'm willing to bet Forza 5 will be an example of that!

Plus COD sucks.
    Most 360 games were 720p but yes, COD's engine was something like 600p. The difference between 600p and 720p is not that big. The difference between 720p and 1080p is massive.

I said it in the post that it could be early development woes, but if the 2014 COD turns out to be 720p, it will show a big technical weakness of the XB1 over the PS4. Every aspect of the XB1's graphic pipeline is weaker than PS4 on paper and that's okay, but the magnitude of the weakness is looking pretty large at the moment in the real world, and that's not okay. I'm not ready to discount the XB1 yet, but it's looking like the predictions are panning out at the moment. If this is the case going forward, I would call it a massive technical failure on the whole MS Xbox team. You don't design a console lasting until 2020 or whatever to target 720p or even 900p. 1080p and even 4K TV will be the norm in the next 5 years.
    10-31-2013 01:18 AM

And this is an initial 3rd party, I promise you, when developed correctly for the Xbox One platform, the games will look ages better than the PS4, and I'm willing to bet Forza 5 will be an example of that!

Plus COD sucks.
    Lol! Ps4 kills xbox1 in graphics. Sorry.

And of course COD sucks. Because you are playing it on Xbox :D
    10-31-2013 01:38 AM
    Most 360 games were 720p but yes, COD's engine was something like 600p. The difference between 600p and 720p is not that big. The difference between 720p and 1080p is massive.

I said it in the post that it could be early development woes, but if the 2014 COD turns out to be 720p, it will show a big technical weakness of the XB1 over the PS4. Every aspect of the XB1's graphic pipeline is weaker than PS4 on paper and that's okay, but the magnitude of the weakness is looking pretty large at the moment in the real world, and that's not okay. I'm not ready to discount the XB1 yet, but it's looking like the predictions are panning out at the moment. If this is the case going forward, I would call it a massive technical failure on the whole MS Xbox team. You don't design a console lasting until 2020 or whatever to target 720p or even 900p. 1080p and even 4K TV will be the norm in the next 5 years.
    But then again, is the difference "massive in real world"? Cos that's definitely not the image I get from the BF4 video, quite the contrary. I do agree that 720 vs. 1080 is quite the difference and at least in CoD the difference might be more noticeable, but so far we havn't actually been shown a "massive difference in the real world" between the two consoles graphical capabilities.

However, I do not deny that PS4 is graphically more capable, what I'm questioning is the "massive difference". Apparently the BF4 video was also lower res upscaled on the Xbox One, but I couldn't really see it. What goes on in the upscaling process and how can they have it look pretty much identical outside like some anti aliasing that doesnt have much to do with resolution?

I'm not overly worried just yet, I suppose we will end up seeing 1080p titles at least after a while. Even if we don't, I probably am not overly worried cos I honestly could barely see any difference in the BF4 video despite it apparently being a similar case (but yeah, the res gap apparently being lower). In the end it's probably unfortunate anyways if it ends up being the case, but PS4 doesn't offer me the other things I want so it would be out of question for me anyways, graphically consoles are behind PCs anyways so if I was about humping 1080, and good Graphics, a console wouldn't be my first option regardless. But I do agree that it does seem like a bad call to not ensure that most games could launch at 1080p at the very least..
    10-31-2013 04:07 AM
    It's all about pixel quantity and not resolution.
    10-31-2013 05:00 AM
    I think that the only REAL trouble I'd face if the resolution issues are long-term is that I couldn't justify $500 for this thing. Instead of waiting until I have money for this (probably next summer), I'd be waiting until 2015 or something, when they drop in price. $500 for an 8-year console with what could be a 4-year lifespan (probably about the time 4K gets popular and affordable, if not sooner) would be brutal.
    10-31-2013 05:10 AM
    It's all about pixel quantity and not resolution.
    Umm...what?
    sandelius likes this.
    10-31-2013 05:11 AM
    There's some truth to that.
    10-31-2013 05:23 AM
    Uh I believe the COD series for the 360 were native 1040x600. I guess 720p isn't better than that?

Plus COD sucks.
    one of the reasons that PS3 lost. Hard to develop. Im scared about that...
    10-31-2013 07:03 AM
    PS3 only really lost around it's launch, whole gen taken into account the two consoles pretty much tied.
    10-31-2013 07:38 AM
    PS3 only really lost around it's launch, whole gen taken into account the two consoles pretty much tied.
    I thought Xbox 360 out sold it every quarter for quite some time...
    10-31-2013 07:43 AM
    correct, about 3-4 years of constantly outselling the ps3
    10-31-2013 07:50 AM

And of course COD sucks. Because you are playing it on Xbox :D
    God I hate trolls. Absolutely no intelligence lol
    berty6294 likes this.
    10-31-2013 08:19 AM
    Indeed, but worldwide PS3 did catch up, I don't have the numbers at hand, but it was something like.. the other console having sold 74 million and the other 76 million. 360 might've had the higher number there, but when you consider PS3 came out later, I think it pretty much makes it a tie.
    10-31-2013 08:29 AM
    But then again, is the difference "massive in real world"? Cos that's definitely not the image I get from the BF4 video, quite the contrary. I do agree that 720 vs. 1080 is quite the difference and at least in CoD the difference might be more noticeable, but so far we havn't actually been shown a "massive difference in the real world" between the two consoles graphical capabilities.

However, I do not deny that PS4 is graphically more capable, what I'm questioning is the "massive difference". Apparently the BF4 video was also lower res upscaled on the Xbox One, but I couldn't really see it. What goes on in the upscaling process and how can they have it look pretty much identical outside like some anti aliasing that doesnt have much to do with resolution?

I'm not overly worried just yet, I suppose we will end up seeing 1080p titles at least after a while. Even if we don't, I probably am not overly worried cos I honestly could barely see any difference in the BF4 video despite it apparently being a similar case (but yeah, the res gap apparently being lower). In the end it's probably unfortunate anyways if it ends up being the case, but PS4 doesn't offer me the other things I want so it would be out of question for me anyways, graphically consoles are behind PCs anyways so if I was about humping 1080, and good Graphics, a console wouldn't be my first option regardless. But I do agree that it does seem like a bad call to not ensure that most games could launch at 1080p at the very least..
    A lot of what you will see in differences won't be very evident in online videos. You'll need to see it on a good 50"+ 1080p screen. Forza 5 doesn't look that great on videos but when I saw it in person, the difference between it and previous Forzas was pretty apparent. And while I agree that it will be about a year before we can truly assess the power of XB1, the 720p vs 1080p difference right now is striking. The "get a PC for graphics" argument isn't one I like either, because you still want to get the most out of the console you buy regardless of what PC's do. For a device that's supposed to be active until 2020, you want it to be able to do 1080p/60. These are tech companies and we as consumers still need to hold them to the fire or they'll be complacent, like Nintendo.
    10-31-2013 12:14 PM
    In the U.S. that is true (there was actually an article about how the PS3 outsold the 360 for the first month/quarter in a LONG time recently). However, Japan wants nothing to do with the Xbox, so that helps bridge the gap. Also, Wikipedia has the 360 at 79.4 million units sold as of September, while the PS3 is at 75 million, as of February, so it's probably somewhere near the 360's overall sales, since that's a gap of 7 months.
    10-31-2013 01:08 PM
    I wonder how many of the PS3s sold in the first couple of years never played a game cause they were bought as a BD player?
    10-31-2013 02:50 PM
    I wonder how many of the PS3s sold in the first couple of years never played a game cause they were bought as a BD player?
    I'd bet quite a lot, since the PS4 was $500-600, while many Blu-Ray players were actually $900. However, that's something that is fairly irrelevant now, just because so many folks have gone to streaming stuff.
    10-31-2013 03:40 PM
    Sony's recent FAQ about the PS4 unable to play MP3 files let alone stream media is a big blow to a lot of people I'm sure who want a all around media hub. Sony is definitely trying to do their same old, force you into their propriety services. My guess is that it will not work out for them + backlash = simple software update to enable MP3 and Media Streaming.
    10-31-2013 07:46 PM
    Sony's recent FAQ about the PS4 unable to play MP3 files let alone stream media is a big blow to a lot of people I'm sure who want a all around media hub. Sony is definitely trying to do their same old, force you into their propriety services. My guess is that it will not work out for them + backlash = simple software update to enable MP3 and Media Streaming.
    That'll be the case, I agree, but the difference is that people are obligated to hate Microsoft, like it's coded into their DNA, so while Sony will get a pass with an about-face, people still jump on Microsoft and call them "flip-flops" for changing according to consumer demand. The other issue is that Sony's shortcomings are software, but Microsoft's MIGHT be hardware, which they cannot fix without a console refresh.
    10-31-2013 09:57 PM
    Here add this one to the mix to consider the xbox one, by plugging in a device (even the ps4) into the HDMI-pass through (DVI - PC to HDMI - Xbox 1) you can do this :

wp_20131130_16_47_30_pro.jpg
    wp_20131130_16_47_45_pro.jpg
    wp_20131130_16_50_19_pro.jpg

The PS4 Does not have HDMI-Pass through
    12-03-2013 01:43 PM
    The way I see it is if you want a gaming console go for ps4 if you want a console that does other things besides gaming go with x1. Im just happy I can skype my gf and browse the internet in private mode. hint hint wink wink.
    12-03-2013 01:51 PM
    The way I see it is if you want a gaming console go for ps4 if you want a console that does other things besides gaming go with x1. Im just happy I can skype my gf and browse the internet in private mode. hint hint wink wink.
    Still the worst advice I see put out there. People act like because the Xbox One isn't JUST a gaming console, it's not a gaming console at all. All I want to do is play games on my console. I won't touch Netflix or Hulu or Skype. I won't get a PS4 because it doesn't play games that I want.
    12-03-2013 05:05 PM
    That doesn't make sense. Last time I checked the X1 is also a gaming console. Just because it does other things doesn't make it any less a gaming console. In fact the reason I got the X1 over the PS4 for the games. The other features were just a bonus. I don't even have cable so the tv thru X1 feature isn't a factor for me. Get a system that has what you are looking for and the games you want to play. I chose X1 for the games and Kinect. Others chose PS4 for the games or features they have. It is just personal preference. Im happy with my X1. It plays games and does other things I like.
    12-03-2013 05:23 PM

Sounds good. I love gaming; especially Halo and Forza.

So since I want it for gaming, I should get a... wait...
    12-04-2013 09:32 PM
    Still the worst advice I see put out there. People act like because the Xbox One isn't JUST a gaming console, it's not a gaming console at all. All I want to do is play games on my console. I won't touch Netflix or Hulu or Skype. I won't get a PS4 because it doesn't play games that I want.
    You know dude, your phone can act as a GPS navigation tool for your car. Better throw that thing in the garbage. You would want those extra features taking away from your phones ability to make phone calls would you?

That guy doesn't get it. He just spews whatever flavour of the month BS complaints blogs like Engadget and TheVerge propagate.
    12-06-2013 04:33 PM
75 123