Still Unsure About Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4?

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The peeps over at Digital Foundry just uploaded a side-by-side video of Battlefield 4 on Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4.

The video was to test the frame rate difference (if any) between the two consoles on this highly demanding, and highly anticipated game. However, right away it becomes painfully obvious there are a lot more differences between the two consoles than a near identical, rock solid frame rate.

Battlefield 4: Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4 Frame-Rate Tests - YouTube

HOLY MOTHER OF (fill in your deity here). No wonder Sony has a review embargo the whole internet is complaining about, in place over PS4 games. The difference is night and day in Xbox One's favor. Look at this vid put together by Digital Foundry. There can be zero doubt in the minds of anyone watching this, the PS4 version has inferior graphic fidelity. The lighting and the textures are far superior on the Xbox One version - and it makes a huge difference that is so easy to see, that even the blind can tell the difference. On closer inspection, even the particle effects are better on the Xbox One. If every multi-platform game acquits itself likewise, then it is no wonder Sony has a strict embargo in place. This is the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 launch all over again; multi-platform games are probably going to be better on the Xbox (that's not even counting dedicated servers for online play).

And just like that, months and months of talk about the PS4 being twice as powerful Xbox One, just turned into one of the biggest jokes all year.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Man, that was moving so quick I couldn't tell either way. Honestly, the PS4 looked a bit sharper. Not that it matters as I've already ordered an XO.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It's MS that has the review embargo not Sony.
The BF4 review on Eurogamer is played on the PS4 version.

The Digital Foundry review on the site does favour the PS4 version as it is running at 900p compared to the 720p resolution of the XO.

Looking at that video, the XO version does look better IMO but the framerate does suffer slightly more often compared to the PS4 version. Also the PS4 version is more softer coloured compared to the dark blacks on the XO (Both were run using the default 30% brightness)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't care which is better.

My biggest fear is gone now. The level at which games run on these systems is up to par with my computer that has an Nvidia 660 GTX. These console games now look equivalent to a PC game running on High/Max settings, and the games are only going to get better as developers master the systems.

Here's to a very fun next-generation of gaming for everyone! Let's all enjoy it!

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I really wouldn't put much stock into games that are coming out on launch, let alone the first year. I mean, rumor is that CoD Ghosts has an embargo review on the X1 with one reason due to it being 720 (upscaled to 1080) compared to Sony's natural 1080. Assuming that is true, I would figure that the CODs that follow will naturally be 1080 for the X1 as well once developers find it easier to develop on the X1.

Can't watch the video at work, but let's say if the X1 does look better, once again it doesn't mean much.Just look at how the first CoD, Madden, etc looked on the 360 compared to where it is now. No point in getting hyped or critical about games/consoles at this point.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I disagree that there is a notable visual difference. Like one other said, it DID seem that the PS4 version was light in color than the Xbox version, but that was the only thing I really noticed. For the most part, they ran neck-and-neck in performance, but in the instances where one dipped below the other, it seemed that the Xbox suffered from that issue more than the PS4 (only a couple of times did I see the PS4 running at a lower FPS). The differences are extremely minor, and I'm pretty sure any ****** on either side will claim to see his preferred console's as advantage "clear as day" and claim anyone who disagrees (be it in favor of the other console or as neutral) is blind and incompetent. Both will serve their purposes and look great doing it, no question.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
This video proves the Xbox One is the hands down winner! Not because the games look better, but because there is no clear difference between the two when gaming. This means that the only thing the PS4 had going (better for gaming) has just been disproven, and the Xbox One is just as good a gamer console on top of everything else the Xbox One does that the PS4 does not!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This video proves the Xbox One is the hands down winner! Not because the games look better, but because there is no clear difference between the two when gaming. This means that the only thing the PS4 had going (better for gaming) has just been disproven, and the Xbox One is just as good a gamer console on top of everything else the Xbox One does that the PS4 does not!

Largely how I feel. I don't understand much about technical mumbo jumbo, but looking at this video I think they look pretty much similar. I don't deny that PS4 still has some hardware advantage and in the few places where both had FPS dips, PS4 seemed to have a bit less, but the difference is still small.

So now I feel that just about the only thing PS4 has going for it is the lower price point and preference (controller, exclusives mainly). This doesnt mean that I would think PS4 is a bad purchase or anything. If you arnt into Xbox exclusives, controller or don't want/need Kinect and dont have anything from MS ecosystem, then get the PS4, you won't go wrong, but what I mean is that PS4 definitely does not put Xbox One into shame here by any worthwhile margin.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't care which is better.

My biggest fear is gone now. The level at which games run on these systems is up to par with my computer that has an Nvidia 660 GTX. These console games now look equivalent to a PC game running on High/Max settings, and the games are only going to get better as developers master the systems.

Here's to a very fun next-generation of gaming for everyone! Let's all enjoy it!

These consoles will not be as good as PC on Ultra settings. Every time new systems come out, they are somewhat close to PCs but still behind. In a year or two, they will fall a decent amount behind again.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
These consoles will not be as good as PC on Ultra settings. Every time new systems come out, they are somewhat close to PCs but still behind. In a year or two, they will fall a decent amount behind again.

I think you should reread what I wrote lol. In two years, my PC with an Nvidia 660 GTX will not be any better than it is now. If I spend $300 on upgrading it, it will be, but that's not the point.

The thing is, PC game developers do not focus on optimizing their games for existing hardware. They rely on new upgraded hardware to allow them to push their games further.
Console game developers focus on nothing but optimizations.

So I think your statement is actually backwards.

In two years, my Xbox One will be capable of better graphics.
In two years, my current PC, if unmodified, will not.

:)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't really agree with that. In all honesty, I think everyone with a brain expected third-party titles to look the same, because trying to use the most power possible on each system when one is more-powerful than the other would eat up too much development time. So, like it's been said, you make the game for the lower-powered system, and allow that to translate to the more-powerful one. Where differences might be noteworthy will be with exclusives, so that's what we'll have to watch for.

Like was said (by myself and others) the FPS drops seemed to be a bit more-frequent and lower than the PS4 ones, meaning the PS4 wasn't necessarily being taxed as heavily as the Xbox One was. What would be a better comparison for which is the better console would be to get a developer to make a game which actually taxes each console heavily, and see how the visuals compare then. However, that's not going to happen, so the point it ultimately irrelevant. I guess this offers a bit of a point against console fanboys, but they won't take this as evidence of anything regardless.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

The one thing RC doesn't mention is the cost. I am currently not a console gamer but that will be changing. I've played so many MMO's and just tired of those. There all the same.

I also cannot see playing something on the PC when its availble on a console. I als just cannot justify putting down another 1k+ to do another PC harware upgrade.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you should reread what I wrote lol. In two years, my PC with an Nvidia 660 GTX will not be any better than it is now. If I spend $300 on upgrading it, it will be, but that's not the point.

The thing is, PC game developers do not focus on optimizing their games for existing hardware. They rely on new upgraded hardware to allow them to push their games further.
Console game developers focus on nothing but optimizations.

So I think your statement is actually backwards.

In two years, my Xbox One will be capable of better graphics.
In two years, my current PC, if unmodified, will not.

:)

You might want to reread your own post. I quote "These console games now look equivalent to a PC game running on High/Max settings"

You don't say "my PC" in that sentence, you say "a PC" at "Max Settings".

I then replied that these consoles will NOT look equivalent to a PC at Max (Ultra being same thing) settings. I would be correct on saying that.

I also did not infer that a single PC gets better over time (though it can). I said PCs will continue to widen the gap after a year or two. This is also true considering PC parts will improve with the consoles will remain the same.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The one thing RC doesn't mention is the cost. I am currently not a console gamer but that will be changing. I've played so many MMO's and just tired of those. There all the same.

I also cannot see playing something on the PC when its availble on a console. I als just cannot justify putting down another 1k+ to do another PC harware upgrade.

I understand your position exactly. I think a lot of people are the same. The one thing to keep in mind is that while you are playing the same game, PCs generally have a lot more mods, esp. community sourced ones. You will also almost never see a game in it's full glory on a console. A higher end PC can and do produce better graphics at higher resolution.

While you make a good point, it isn't exactly apples to apples.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Related to the discussion in the posts above. A PC does get better over time. Driver support and optimizations with each release as well as operating system optimizations. Each new release of Nvidia or AMD drivers specifies the improvements you can expect to see. No hardware upgrade is needed for those.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You might want to reread your own post. I quote "These console games now look equivalent to a PC game running on High/Max settings"

You don't say "my PC" in that sentence, you say "a PC" at "Max Settings".

I then replied that these consoles will NOT look equivalent to a PC at Max (Ultra being same thing) settings. I would be correct on saying that.

I also did not infer that a single PC gets better over time (though it can). I said PCs will continue to widen the gap after a year or two. This is also true considering PC parts will improve with the consoles will remain the same.

I'll give you that one, but the point about PC's getting better is kind of nonsense.

Microsoft could keep releasing new versions of the PS4 and the Xbox One with better hardware every year, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

When it comes down to it, consoles give you the most for your dollar. And the next generation has lived up to that statement.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll give you that one, but the point about PC's getting better is kind of nonsense.

Microsoft could keep releasing new versions of the PS4 and the Xbox One with better hardware every year, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

When it comes down to it, consoles give you the most for your dollar. And the next generation has lived up to that statement.

Explain how a PC can't get better please.

Also, I agree consoles are the best bang for your buck, but that isn't what you have been arguing.

Consoles will never be as good as PCs when talking about graphics and performances. They won't be because of the different business models, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've preordered my X1 and have never regretted it.

Honestly, I've never understood something and am hoping someone can elaborate. Spec nerds, like some people in my school, have been going on and on about "I could never get the Xbox because it doesn't come with ddr5 ram" (read: I have no purpose in life and one time I talked to an employee at Best Buy who works in the electronic section) and I just don't understand how its THAT much better.

What I do know is that initially, they were set to have the same CPU and GPU, but Microsoft upgraded them a couple of months ago. Now, I don't know much about the innards of computers, but to me... Wouldn't the GRAPHICAL processing unit and the processor that processes everything be a better decider on specs than the type of ram? Especially considering the ps4's OS takes up 16% more ram than the Xbox.

Someone in the forums just explained to me how ram works and if he's right, I really don't see the big deal.

Can someone explain this to me?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I can't give you a very comprehensive answer, but the PS4 does have a bit better GPU.

The RAM however I feel is arguable. PS4 uses GDDR5 (no such thing as DDR5), which is basically the kind of memory GPUs typically use in computers. However, I've never heard of a gaming PC, not even the most expensive and kickass ones that would use GDDR5 as the basic RAM. This is why I'm sceptical. GDDR5 is also much more expensive than DDR3, which might mainly just reflect at profit margins, not really performance, but might also reflect into problems with supply at some point.

But it's also not as simple as "DDR3 vs. GDDR5". X1 also has this thing called "ESRAM" that is apparently REALLY fast and works as some sort of a buffer there, basically evening out the gains of GDDR5 vs. DDR3.

It probably isn't worth argueing whether PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One, I think it's clear that PS4 has a bit more powerful specs. However I feel that the difference seems quite marginal when looking at actual performance in games for a normal user instead of crunching numbers. Also how the OS works and uses it's resources is also a big deal. From the smart phone world a good example could be a monster-specced Android phone typically isn't any faster than a Windows Phone with 2 year old hardware, largely cos the operating systems are so different.

Personally the only thing I think this "PS4 vs. Xbox One" thing comes down to is personal preference, get the one that has 1) better controller for you 2) better exclusives for you 3) the other things, such as if you want a console cheaper, get PS4 but if you want Kinect-goodies and an actual ecosystem and 100usd won't break your bank, go for Xbox One. Then the wild card Xbox One has going for it is cloud computing. While it doesn't do that much yet, I think 5 years from here might be VERY different and Xbox One might just be more future proof from the start cos of this. It's been shown that for example lighting effects can be calculated server side and it won't even look off until you go over 400ms, which is very generous for any area with broadband.

JoelBennett

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Really, I don't see it being that big of a deal. The two machines are close enough, and let's be honest - most cross platform ports (of which there will be many) are going to end up using the exact same art assets as each other. In the long run, it might be a bit more difficult to say, as it generally takes developers a little while to figure out how to milk every last drop of performance out of a system. Either way, it's not like one is light-years ahead of the other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa