Still Unsure About Xbox One vs. PlayStation 4?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
A year or two from now, it'll be interesting to see if the PS4 is really pushing some jaw dropping visuals, but for me at this moment in time, I'd like to get the Xbox One for these reasons:

- I like the feel and design of the Xbox controller better than Playstation.
- Forza 5
- Dead Rising 3

Having gone from PS2 to Xbox 360, whenever I now go back to holding a PS2 or PS3 controller, I just hate the feel of it. Forget graphics, the controller is the system seller for me, lol. :p

LOL, same 2 launch titles I have on preorder :D

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Argh.. I can't see the video as I am currently on tether on my L920 (Sky haven't activated my internet yet which was today -.-). the anticipation is killing me lol. In any case if you prefer the PS4 stick with it same with the X1 and just enjoy the damned console. Instead of just bashing one and another, the idea of games was that they were made to be enjoyed as entertainment not for an all out specs brawl. Honestly it is like kids squabbling in kindergarten / nursery over petty things. I can't wait to get my hands both of these consoles and just play :p.

Lastly anyway you look at it the PC will always dominate graphically if you have the cash to burn on a monster of a rig (water cooled, over clocked, sli / crossfire etc etc). However console games tend to come to the PC alot later i.e the GTA series or not at all, though the switch to x86 architecture might change that.
unfortunately that cant happen because consumers have this idiotic thing about having the better product.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
FORZA FTW!!!!

And I agree about the controller, every time I use the PS3 or PS2 controllers, I can only play for a short period of time because after an hour (or less sometimes) I feel like I'm about to get blisters because of how uncomfortable the controller is! With the Xbox I have never had to stop playing because of discomfort in the controller, it really forms nicely to everyone hands! (even my abnormally large hands)

I'm not going to buy forza anymore.. I have a very expensive Racing Wheel from Fanatec Racing Wheels and what I heard the one will not support old controllers :(

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not going to buy forza anymore.. I have a very expensive Racing Wheel from Fanatec Racing Wheels and what I heard the one will not support old controllers :(

That's the norm... Controllers aren't usually forward compatible... Partly because they add new features and partly cause they want you to buy more stuff

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's the norm... Controllers aren't usually forward compatible... Partly because they add new features and partly cause they want you to buy more stuff

a professional racing cockpit doesn't require new features... I'm sure it is better them any controller that Microsoft will put on the market... They should recognize any USB controller like PC does. If the controller has functionalities use it, if not disable it..

WIFI I agree not usb

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Going to midnight launch at my local Game Stop for the X1. Taking that Friday off as well ;)

Hmmm, I'm Central time.... Maybe we should start a thread for each time zone to chit chat while in line... Although I guess it wouldn't matter what time zone, just one thread and each time zone can be active at their respective times... BTW, anyone here happen to order their day One from the GS in San Antonio near DeZavala and I-10, across from Wal-Mart? Just curious, cause that's where my preorder is at, would be cool if there were other WPC peeps there.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well it's confirmed that COD is 720p vs 1080p in favor of PS4.

Confirmed -- 'Call Of Duty: Ghosts' Runs At A Lower Native Resolution On Xbox One - Forbes

I would say this is a pretty big technical failure on MS' part. Remember that this is supposed to be a system that is going to last 7+ years unless it tanks badly. We're now in the 1080p era and the XB1 can't even beat the 360 in resolution? Sure it'll look better, but 720p? The question that's important is whether this is an early development issue that will be ironed out by 2014 or if it really is a true limitation on the XB1.

As a fan of the Xbox controller over the PS controller, I'm pretty disappointed, even though I don't care about COD in particular. Now I'm just hoping most of the XB1 exclusives also come to PC with controller support. By the end of 2014, with Maxwell 20nm and AMD's next GCN at 20nm, it wouldn't cost much to exceed the XB1's graphics on a mid-range card.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well it's confirmed that COD is 720p vs 1080p in favor of PS4.

Confirmed -- 'Call Of Duty: Ghosts' Runs At A Lower Native Resolution On Xbox One - Forbes

I would say this is a pretty big technical failure on MS' part. Remember that this is supposed to be a system that is going to last 7+ years unless it tanks badly. We're now in the 1080p era and the XB1 can't even beat the 360 in resolution? Sure it'll look better, but 720p? The question that's important is whether this is an early development issue that will be ironed out by 2014 or if it really is a true limitation on the XB1.

As a fan of the Xbox controller over the PS controller, I'm pretty disappointed, even though I don't care about COD in particular. Now I'm just hoping most of the XB1 exclusives also come to PC with controller support. By the end of 2014, with Maxwell 20nm and AMD's next GCN at 20nm, it wouldn't cost much to exceed the XB1's graphics on a mid-range card.

Uh I believe the COD series for the 360 were native 1040x600. I guess 720p isn't better than that?

And this is an initial 3rd party, I promise you, when developed correctly for the Xbox One platform, the games will look ages better than the PS4, and I'm willing to bet Forza 5 will be an example of that!

Plus COD sucks.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Uh I believe the COD series for the 360 were native 1040x600. I guess 720p isn't better than that?

And this is an initial 3rd party, I promise you, when developed correctly for the Xbox One platform, the games will look ages better than the PS4, and I'm willing to bet Forza 5 will be an example of that!

Plus COD sucks.
Most 360 games were 720p but yes, COD's engine was something like 600p. The difference between 600p and 720p is not that big. The difference between 720p and 1080p is massive.

I said it in the post that it could be early development woes, but if the 2014 COD turns out to be 720p, it will show a big technical weakness of the XB1 over the PS4. Every aspect of the XB1's graphic pipeline is weaker than PS4 on paper and that's okay, but the magnitude of the weakness is looking pretty large at the moment in the real world, and that's not okay. I'm not ready to discount the XB1 yet, but it's looking like the predictions are panning out at the moment. If this is the case going forward, I would call it a massive technical failure on the whole MS Xbox team. You don't design a console lasting until 2020 or whatever to target 720p or even 900p. 1080p and even 4K TV will be the norm in the next 5 years.

sandelius

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Plus COD sucks.

Lol! Ps4 kills xbox1 in graphics. Sorry.

And of course COD sucks. Because you are playing it on Xbox :D

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Most 360 games were 720p but yes, COD's engine was something like 600p. The difference between 600p and 720p is not that big. The difference between 720p and 1080p is massive.

I said it in the post that it could be early development woes, but if the 2014 COD turns out to be 720p, it will show a big technical weakness of the XB1 over the PS4. Every aspect of the XB1's graphic pipeline is weaker than PS4 on paper and that's okay, but the magnitude of the weakness is looking pretty large at the moment in the real world, and that's not okay. I'm not ready to discount the XB1 yet, but it's looking like the predictions are panning out at the moment. If this is the case going forward, I would call it a massive technical failure on the whole MS Xbox team. You don't design a console lasting until 2020 or whatever to target 720p or even 900p. 1080p and even 4K TV will be the norm in the next 5 years.

But then again, is the difference "massive in real world"? Cos that's definitely not the image I get from the BF4 video, quite the contrary. I do agree that 720 vs. 1080 is quite the difference and at least in CoD the difference might be more noticeable, but so far we havn't actually been shown a "massive difference in the real world" between the two consoles graphical capabilities.

However, I do not deny that PS4 is graphically more capable, what I'm questioning is the "massive difference". Apparently the BF4 video was also lower res upscaled on the Xbox One, but I couldn't really see it. What goes on in the upscaling process and how can they have it look pretty much identical outside like some anti aliasing that doesnt have much to do with resolution?

I'm not overly worried just yet, I suppose we will end up seeing 1080p titles at least after a while. Even if we don't, I probably am not overly worried cos I honestly could barely see any difference in the BF4 video despite it apparently being a similar case (but yeah, the res gap apparently being lower). In the end it's probably unfortunate anyways if it ends up being the case, but PS4 doesn't offer me the other things I want so it would be out of question for me anyways, graphically consoles are behind PCs anyways so if I was about humping 1080, and good Graphics, a console wouldn't be my first option regardless. But I do agree that it does seem like a bad call to not ensure that most games could launch at 1080p at the very least..

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that the only REAL trouble I'd face if the resolution issues are long-term is that I couldn't justify $500 for this thing. Instead of waiting until I have money for this (probably next summer), I'd be waiting until 2015 or something, when they drop in price. $500 for an 8-year console with what could be a 4-year lifespan (probably about the time 4K gets popular and affordable, if not sooner) would be brutal.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Plus COD sucks.

one of the reasons that PS3 lost. Hard to develop. Im scared about that...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss