Call of Duty Ghosts on Xbox One only 720p. PS4 is 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcusasdrubal

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
More sad news:

As the metrics emerge on key next-gen launch titles, it's clear that Xbox One is under-performing against its rival - not just according to the spec differential, but actually beyond the difference in raw numbers. Our Battlefield 4 Face-Off preview reveals a 50 per cent resolution boost on PlayStation 4 with no appreciable compromise in effects or performance in single-player gameplay, while Infinity Ward's Mark Rubin confirmed rumours that Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at native 720p on Xbox One, with 1080p a lock for PS4. Assuming uniform features and performance, that's a massive blow for Microsoft.

Xbox One Resolutiongate: the 720p fallout • Articles • Eurogamer.net

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
More sad news:

As the metrics emerge on key next-gen launch titles, it's clear that Xbox One is under-performing against its rival - not just according to the spec differential, but actually beyond the difference in raw numbers. Our Battlefield 4 Face-Off preview reveals a 50 per cent resolution boost on PlayStation 4 with no appreciable compromise in effects or performance in single-player gameplay, while Infinity Ward's Mark Rubin confirmed rumours that Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at native 720p on Xbox One, with 1080p a lock for PS4. Assuming uniform features and performance, that's a massive blow for Microsoft.

Xbox One Resolutiongate: the 720p fallout ?€? Articles ?€? Eurogamer.net

Yes, we know. It's what this entire 4 page thread is discussing.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day it is all about game play. If the games are fun and they play well then I'm a happy guy. Everybody needs to remember that the average consumer out there isn't reading all the tech sites. They are looking for great games. Its the experience that matters. 720 versus 1080 isn't that noticeable of a difference in the grand scheme of things. Give developers time and they will figure out how to get to 1080 with their games.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
But IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku , The Verge, CNET, sadly all...

Don't forget, even WPCentral with their stupid article last night. WPCentral had the worst one out of them all. Asking how we can expect Ryse 2 to support 3d 4K if Ryse 1 only supports 900p... and that was a serious question...

Michael Archambault..... by far the worst writer on this website lol.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
But IGN, Gamespot, Kotaku , The Verge, CNET, sadly all...

Which of those are credible sources though?

IGN, I'm convinced, is literally giving its ratings based on the amount of money the publishers gives them.
I don't read GameSpot, so IDK on them.
I don't read Kotaku much either, but they seem semi-OK.
The Verge is pro-Apple all day long, so bashing Microsoft is nothing new for them.
CNET is arguably The Verge, but worse, so same story there.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget, even WPCentral with their stupid article last night. WPCentral had the worst one out of them all. Asking how we can expect Ryse 2 to support 3d 4K if Ryse 1 only supports 900p... and that was a serious question...

That really was a bad article. 3D gaming hasn't caught on, plain and simple. Why we're considering that worth asking about is beyond me.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Reading anything pre-launch is dumb IMHO.

I agree on this. Just because something happens at launch does not mean that that's how the console will sell. For example, the 360 suffered from heating issues in a major way (mine personally lasted 6 years) but I think the number was around 50% of all 360s had RROD.... Yet it still sold 70 million. If this is the worst thing that happens at launch, the Xbox will be fine.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

If there is a Ryse 2, Crytek probably won't have a problem getting 1080p once they figure out the system. But that's 1080p/30 fps. Games like COD and BF are 60 fps and might never get to 1080p on XB1 if there really is a hardware limitation (32 MB ESRAM, 16 ROPS) and that would be a colossal technical failure on MS if it happens.

And yeah, no one will get to 4K at decent framerates in modern games, not even the vaunted Nvidia Titan without SLI. We'll likely need to wait until 20nm Maxwell to do that. That's crazy talk and completely ignorant.

marcusasdrubal

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Which of those are credible sources though?

IGN, I'm convinced, is literally giving its ratings based on the amount of money the publishers gives them.
I don't read GameSpot, so IDK on them.
I don't read Kotaku much either, but they seem semi-OK.
The Verge is pro-Apple all day long, so bashing Microsoft is nothing new for them.
CNET is arguably The Verge, but worse, so same story there.

****** talk detected. You can say that one source is bias. But all the sources...something is wrong . Not if the sources, but with the hardware...

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Wow consoles are getting worser and worser, I expect it to be a new gen, not a suffering old gen.
Well atleast I can play anything I want on 1080p on my pc.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This really shouldn't be a problem so long as it's not a recurring trend with Xbox One games. Because if PS4 versions of multiplatform games are graphically more advanced (at least on paper, anyways)--pair that with the XO's higher price tag in most regions--that'll start to push consumers towards the PS4. But I don't see this being the case.
And I don't get how some people are saying you'll notice a difference on a larger display. Are you really sitting that close to your TV? For the most part, 720p doesn't look that different from 1080p to me on my TV. Actually, I tend to notice a difference only when gaming on a small TV or monitor since my face is physically closer to the screen.

Where do you sit though? I play my games in my room, on my bed. My TV's probably in the range of 6-8 feet from me, by a generic estimation. It's REALLY tough to say that this isn't something that will matter when it literally shows a sign of mattering before the consoles even launch. Like I've said on multiple occasions, these aren't short-term investments. If 1080p is a stretch for third-party games now, how much improvement can we realistically expect in the long run? When we're getting no information from Microsoft on the matter, it's tough to have much faith in the console.

For me, it's not really a problem. I don't plan to get the PS4, just because I don't care for the exclusives. I also won't get an Xbox One for probably 6 months or so (that's when my birthday is), so these issues will be fleshed out a bit more or proven benign. However, if I was set to buy the console at launch, I'd legitimately be considering either canceling my pre-order or putting it on eBay. I'd be EXTREMELY mad if the One was never able to hit the 1080p mark over the next decade.

It would be a MONSTROUS fiasco if they did it, but I'd personally be OK if Microsoft simply started getting stronger GPUs into the consoles and asked/required everyone to mail in their consoles (free of charge, of course) for a free GPU upgrade to help this. We've of-course seen that these companies can create solid games from underperforming hardware, but there REALLY should be a limit of compromise for consumers, in my opinion.

Microsoft puts apps behind a paywall, which Sony doesn't. Microsoft offers an inferior free-game platform, which Sony's moving onto the PS4, but Microsoft hasn't announced plans for on the One. Microsoft's requiring the Kinect to be purchased, raising the price $100 north of the competition. Microsoft won't let you swap in another HDD like Sony will, and they use that as an excuse to charge $150 for a HDD you could probably get for $60 on Newegg. Xbox LIVE Gold is $10 more than PSN+. Now, we're throwing on there that games aren't running as well on the One as they are on the PS4? I mean, remember that while the games look similar, the Xbox One was actually having more frame rate drops in the video at 720p than the PS4 was having at 900p. On top of that, we're not getting ANY kind of reassurance from Microsoft about the matter, no explanation about why the issue exists or how it can/will be remedied.

Like I said, it'll be almost impossible to get me to buy from Sony. I don't care for the RPGs and such that Sony offers as much. I love me some Halo, and I've been playing Forza almost exclusively (save for mobile games) for about 2 months now. However, if we cannot see any improvement with the One by the time I'm ready to make a purchase, I think I'd rather just put the $600 (after games and taxes) into upgrading the CPU and GPU in my PC and using that for Titanfall. I'd REALLY just like Microsoft to address the issue. That's their biggest problem, the P.R. department is run by either mutes or idiots.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
****** talk detected. You can say that one source is bias. But all the sources...something is wrong . Not if the sources, but with the hardware...

That's not ****** anything. Read my post above this one, and you'll get that I don't ****** on anything. I've read plenty from 3 of those 5 sources, and all 3 have long been poor-quality "journalists." Just because I can spot bias doesn't make me biased. Yes, I have a bias towards what I like, but I don't have irrational blinders on by any means.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree on this. Just because something happens at launch does not mean that that's how the console will sell. For example, the 360 suffered from heating issues in a major way (mine personally lasted 6 years) but I think the number was around 50% of all 360s had RROD.... Yet it still sold 70 million. If this is the worst thing that happens at launch, the Xbox will be fine.

1. Microsoft spent $3 billion on the RRoD, was it? They threw a LOT of money to rectify that issue. When I see so much as an acknowledgement of an issue (or an explanation of why there isn't one), I'll take that into consideration. Otherwise, I'll wait until they put $3 billion into GPU replacements, I guess.
2. The Xbox sold because despite its heating issues (which weren't necessarily apparent from the get-go), it was a solid console (I use this sentence to excuse the Wii U from the discussion). Ultimately, the matter came down to the fact that Microsoft had a full year to put out hardware before the competition, so that's why it could survive with hardware issues--there was no alternative. By the time the competition rolled out, Microsoft had the campaign to fix the problem in full effect, meaning there weren't really concerns about hardware quality anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6