11-07-2013 01:08 PM
178 ... 5678
tools
    I've been feeling like pointing out the very click-baity and a bit negative'ish kind of titles Michael writes to his news. It's like the pieces are written on a Playstation forum or something :P
    I would call the AWESOMENESS of the PS4! :P
    11-05-2013 09:01 AM
    I would call the AWESOMENESS of the PS4! :P
    The awesomeness of PS4 and it's t-t-t-t-ten-n-n-n ay-ay-ay-ay-t-t-t-ty p-p-p-p-peeee native COD experience? LOL. 7 pages for this topic and it turns out that the game is a stinker on PS4, serious framerate slowdown, running smoother and at a constant 60fps on X360, and looking only marginally better on PS4 than X360. Plus, reviewers had to use dev kits instead of real consoles and LAN instead of PSN (and MP framerate still lagged!). I guess the best PR for MS is letting the truth come out. I still wish they were more aggressive, but the events of this morning are pretty eye opening. A week to go for X1 COD reviews...
    11-05-2013 09:31 AM
    The awesomeness of PS4 and it's t-t-t-t-ten-n-n-n ay-ay-ay-ay-t-t-t-ty p-p-p-p-peeee native COD experience? LOL. 7 pages for this topic and it turns out that the game is a stinker on PS4, serious framerate slowdown, running smoother and at a constant 60fps on X360, and looking only marginally better on PS4 than X360. Plus, reviewers had to use dev kits instead of real consoles and LAN instead of PSN (and MP framerate still lagged!). I guess the best PR for MS is letting the truth come out. I still wish they were more aggressive, but the events of this morning are pretty eye opening. A week to go for X1 COD reviews...
    Now now.. :P The PS4 is also a great console, if it meets your preferences. It seems that the CoD-crew are quite a lazy bunch at this time if PS4 CoD doesnt run well at 1080p and X1 had to be made into 720p.

I would rather look at exclusives than multiplats at this time to define whether a console is awesome or not :P If asked, I tell people to pick their console based on 1) exclusive preference 2) controller preference 3) budget combined with need/lack of need for the "off gaming capabilities" and Kincet.
    11-05-2013 09:45 AM
    Now now.. :P The PS4 is also a great console, if it meets your preferences. It seems that the CoD-crew are quite a lazy bunch at this time if PS4 CoD doesnt run well at 1080p and X1 had to be made into 720p.

I would rather look at exclusives than multiplats at this time to define whether a console is awesome or not :P If asked, I tell people to pick their console based on 1) exclusive preference 2) controller preference 3) budget combined with need/lack of need for the "off gaming capabilities" and Kincet.
    I totally agree. But over the past week this type of logic was eschewed for the " validation that PS4 is 50% more powerful" argument. So it was just a bit of a guilty pleasure to see some chickens come home to roost.
    11-05-2013 09:53 AM
    So, are both the One & PS4 having these massive frame rate drops or just the PS4 version???
    11-05-2013 10:13 AM
    So, are both the One & PS4 having these massive frame rate drops or just the PS4 version???
    it seems just the PS4. I guess since the X1 is 720p, it runs at about 55-60fps consistently. I think Michael put that in his article yesterday.
    sinime likes this.
    11-05-2013 10:31 AM
    It seems that the CoD-crew are quite a lazy bunch at this time if PS4 CoD doesnt run well at 1080p and X1 had to be made into 720p.
    Well, it's not JUST CoD in 720p, but yeah, you can take one look at that game and tell it was made lazily, because it has that striking "CoD" look to it. You just see the game and know it's that.
    11-05-2013 11:37 AM
    Well, it's not JUST CoD in 720p, but yeah, you can take one look at that game and tell it was made lazily, because it has that striking "CoD" look to it. You just see the game and know it's that.
    Yeah, it was mostly referring to the PS4 side of things of not playing well. I was gonna take BF4 on PS4 as example, but remembered that's not 1080p, but I'm not sure how big difference does this make.. are we coming to the conclusion that after all 1080p even on Playstation is shaky too at this time? :P

I mean, in the end I think it's quite relative. It's probably easy making Minecraft into 1080p, but how about something with really high res textures etc? I dont doubt X1 could run 1080p no problem if they scale the "graphical settings" down, but is that a gain for anyone except for the spec humpers cos they can't typically hump the other graphical settings in these cases more than that.

I had a friend come "brag" to me about Ryse's character polygon count being reduced to make terrain more detailed. But I think it's relative there too. You can make a huge polygon count and then end up reducing it to "normal levels", but ofc reporting that will look bad when the average Joe goes "herp derp Ryse had to lower polygon count!". Especially when it wasn't even a net loss, it was to add detail to the terrain rather than just up the performance.
    11-05-2013 11:42 AM
    Odd that most of the sites don't mention frame rate drops on the PS4... It's like there truly is a witch hunt to bring the One down. Almost reminds me of the media coverage of the last presidential election, Obama as the PS4 and Romney as the XB1.
    11-05-2013 12:18 PM
    Odd that most of the sites don't mention frame rate drops on the PS4... It's like there truly is a witch hunt to bring the One down. Almost reminds me of the media coverage of the last presidential election, Obama as the PS4 and Romney as the XB1.
    At least you can change your mind at any time with consoles.
    sinime and BIGPADDY like this.
    11-05-2013 02:05 PM
    At least you can change your mind at any time with consoles.
    Wise words.
    11-05-2013 02:35 PM
    Linked an article earlier saying the next CoD will most likely be 1080P on X1. With the PS4 frame rate issues popping up, it's really just pointing to laziness/cash grab. It's going to be even sadder on the CoD franchise if the X1 reviews also reveal framerate issues.
    11-05-2013 04:18 PM
    "witch hunts" is not how media works. MS blew it with the X1, the game is already over.

Sony made a next-gen video game console, Microsoft made a big brother all-encompassing media unit. When a negative is reported on the X1, it's another nail in the coffin. Negatives reported on the PS4 are just negatives. There's no weight to it. PS4 can't play mp3's? Weird, but it'll get fixed. X1 has 2004 resolutions? What else can they do wrong?
    11-05-2013 04:39 PM
    To say the game is already over for Xbox One is foolish to me. The consoles themselves are not even out yet. Also launch games are not going to show a consoles true potential. Give the developers time to learn how to better develop and take advantage of each consoles' hardware. 2004 resolutions? If you are going by PC specs I guess. But I don't think there were any games that were running true 720P with 60fps on a console back then. Graphics and resolutions are not everything. It is about the gameplay. You know, the actual heart of the games..
    11-05-2013 05:01 PM
    Anyway, here's a rather-length (read: WAY TO LONG TO READ) interview with Mark Rubin. Seriously, I don't recommend reading it all (I didn't), but there are some interesting things he discusses.

Call Of Duty: Ghosts Mark Rubin interview – 'there are things that we're not allowed to talk about' | Metro News

I think the biggest one is change. Like we've said, Ghosts looks like every one of the games in the franchise for the past 5 years or so. However, it's interesting how they mention his saying (in an older interview) that change is dangerous because people start to question if it's the same game, and if the franchise name needs to stick. The best analogy I can give is when a band changes its lead singer. It's pretty tough to change what is perhaps the most-recognizable portion of the band and call it the same band. I'm not going to go into specifics on that, since people won't likely know which bands I'm talking about, but there are at least 2 of the bands I listen to where they've changed singers, and people have asked if keeping the name is fair. In one case, the differences are obvious, but the quality and sound is still there. In the other, the first change led to a better band with a different sound, and the second change led to asimilar sound but a lesser band.

Simile aside, I think it's tougher with CoD than other games, since it's more of a "faceless body" approach. Yeah, they had the Masons and McTavish/Price, but how many people would really recognize those characters if a picture was shown? Halo has managed quite a few sweeping changes over more than a decade, but because you have Master Chief and Cortana, the recognizable faces of the franchise, you still see it as Halo. Even on the side of the antagonists, the enemies are limited to two races now (Covenant and Prometheans), and each faction has just a few character models, so it's ALWAYS an Elite or Knight, not a non-American enemy with any number of different facial features.

So I get and understand what he means, but it's SO HARD to stay invested in the same thing with so little change, so let's hope they can find a balance between change and familiarity with Treyarch in 2014.
    11-05-2013 05:05 PM
    I am a 360 guy, I use windows phone, windows 8 desktop, and outlook. I'm "plugged in" to the MS ecosystem. I'm just a realist. I would posit that I have a very good grasp of the situation. I am seeing it for what it is, not clouded by my enjoyment of this companies' past products.
    You're calling the Xbox One a "big brother machine," despite the fact that nothing had been shown to prove that factual. In fact, it's FURTHER from that with the allowing of unplugging the Kinect now. Really, which is a greater customer pool though, the gamer-only audience or the pseudo-gamers who also love general media consumption? The second is the group Microsoft is aiming for, and if you think that they don't have the software to match the PS4 on almost every front, you're sorely mistaken.
    11-05-2013 05:10 PM
    You're calling the Xbox One a "big brother machine," despite the fact that nothing had been shown to prove that factual. In fact, it's FURTHER from that with the allowing of unplugging the Kinect now. Really, which is a greater customer pool though, the gamer-only audience or the pseudo-gamers who also love general media consumption? The second is the group Microsoft is aiming for, and if you think that they don't have the software to match the PS4 on almost every front, you're sorely mistaken.
    Possibly, time will tell. And yes I know they've retracted all the limitations they tried to impose. But still, it's soured me on it, and countless others. MS has been trying to get in front of the future ever since the iphone hit. Something tells me the boardrooms there were filled with "we will not be left behind again". So win8 is released. And now they come out with a media box that caters not only to game playing, but also media consumption. I do get it, I really do. I just think it's a bad idea, and was executed exceptionally poorly.

Snark aside, who knows, in a few years I may end up getting one. But as of right now, I will use my dollars to support the company that is focusing on what I am buying the unit for: playing video games.

I don't want a media box, especially one that will most likely not support NTFS drives, mkv's/xvid's, etc. I want a kick *** video game box. I have other means for consuming media, I don't need it for that.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    11-05-2013 05:19 PM
    Completely your choice, but if you look at what Sony is doing you might find that they are the ones worried about being left behind. Their PS4 dashboard homescreen is an identical replica of the windows 8 home screen that is on the xbox with its tiles. Sony is scrambling to sign movie studios to develop playstation only content for their new console just as Microsft announced all of the major movie studios coming on board with its XB1 as well as a multi million dollar partnership with the NFL, they are trying to make the gaikai cloud do more than it initially does at the moment due to Microsoft pouring millions into its online infrastructure. The playstation plus service is an xbox gold replica and now you must pay to play online just as microsoft did for the last decade. You see a developing trend here? See by charging customers a fee for xbox live and playstation not charging, ended up settling this fight for microsft years ago. How? Microsoft's online play is unmatched by any available. Playstation Network is light years behind now. Throw in all that money Microsoft made by charging for service and Sony not, and you have a massively beefed up online network now uncompromisable by regional internet lag speeds as Microsoft was smart and just reinvested that money into 300,000 servers to power their network. Sony Playstation network was free of charge and now are charging due to this massive gap in quality as they simply are outmatched in terms of infrastructure. Microsoft isnt stupid. They wouldnt have built this console inferior. To add to the horsepower that is yes, slightly under what the ps4 has under the hood, Microsoft has integrated its cloud service to push the background shading and graphics rendering during gameplay. There simply is no way it is as inferior to the playstation 4 as all of these "credible articles" say. I will invest my money with the company that is investing in its customers. A system that does it all, or a system that does what the last one did only now with slightly better graphics? Microsoft's service and quality of gameplay has always been superior to what Sony has offered. But as i stated its your choice.
    EchoOne30 likes this.
    11-06-2013 01:26 PM
    Wise words.
    Nothing like politics to help people bridge the divide in the console wars.

Wow, that's just a pathetic statement LOL. Time for these consoles to hurry up and release so people can start having fun with either/both and stop griping.
    11-06-2013 03:11 PM
    You know it's bad when politics is the GOOD thing.
    11-06-2013 04:08 PM
    This game suffers a lot from optimization. Even on pc is horrible and requires 50 GB to install and 6 GB RAM! What for? I do not have it but I watched a youtube video and that guy had a titan (!!) yet the frames dropped now and then! This shows that the developers have been lazy...
    11-06-2013 05:56 PM
    If there's one thing I learned last-gen, it's that pure resolution and framerate will only take you so far. If it were all down to that, we'd all be carrying PS Vitas.

I'm gonna make a rough guess here. I bet there's more 3DS-owners in here than Vita-owners. And many argue that the 3DS didn't need the 3D.

Sony's business model is and has always been to cram more hardware into a plastic and metal casing.

Between the cloud stuff and the Kinect, I really think Microsoft has given more thought behind the Xbox one than given credit for. You can't just pay for exclusives and stuff more hardware in. Developers have to have a reason to prefer you or they'll just jump ship as soon as the money changes direction. Remember how at e3, the fans hated the X1 but the developers *loved* it? Give it time.
    11-07-2013 12:27 AM
    Between the cloud stuff and the Kinect, I really think Microsoft has given more thought behind the Xbox one than given credit for. You can't just pay for exclusives and stuff more hardware in. Developers have to have a reason to prefer you or they'll just jump ship as soon as the money changes direction. Remember how at e3, the fans hated the X1 but the developers *loved* it? Give it time.
    This is a self-contradiction. You say you can't just pay for exclusives, but you need a reason to jump to a platform. A big reason people pick a platform is probably because of those bought exclusives, such as Gears of War, Titanfall, and Ryse.

I completely agree about the potential, though. I love the "Drivatar" feature in Forza and someone made the ingenious suggestion of letting it carry over to shooters. Quick explanation, in case people don't know--"Drivatar" takes your driving habits and records them. It then replicates those habits as an in-game AI for other racers around the world, meaning AI drives like people by learning from them. The shooter translation here is to learn a person's shooter habits and carry it over to squad-based shooters. Imagine if the AI in Call of Duty wasn't so incompetent, because it mimicked your friends. That would be the ultimate selling point for multi-platform games, if Microsoft could get Activision and DICE/EA to do this.
    11-07-2013 01:28 AM
    What good is it all if there's frame rate issues eh? Microsoft and the makers of COD will have had their reasons to make it 720p. Trust them I say: BBC News - Call of Duty: Ghosts PS4 faces frame-rate complaints
    11-07-2013 03:40 AM
    last cod title i really loved was cod2 and then modern warfare. then it got seriously boring linear fps. at least it made me switch to battlefield and i am happy now.. sooo, what i am trying to say, hmm. i don't know. don't be too serious about CoD, the game is rubbish, developers has shown some really poor results with past series, i think it was balck ops, that was light years far from being optimized zero bugs release.

i wouldn't judge console power by one poorly optimized game. ps4 won't be running smoothly 1080p on 60fps, that's for sure. sooo, i think, just time will show, once developer raise the experience with these new systems and will be able to squeeze the best out of it. then i am 100% sure, we will have all games in 1080p on both platforms and still i expect Xbox One will be a winner once again.
    11-07-2013 05:27 AM
178 ... 5678