Call of Duty Ghosts on Xbox One only 720p. PS4 is 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I grew up during the SNES vs Genesis war, and while reading all of the extremely passionate diatribe across the internet regarding PS4 & Xbox One, I think that my feelings can be summed up in this image:

35780060.jpg

Isn't the average age for gamers around 30+ years old or something? This entire ordeal is such a turnoff from gaming.

Hardware upscaling from 720p to 1080p viewed on a 50" screen is no big deal to me. 480p hardware upscaled to 1080p looks surprisingly good. If the actual game graphics (poly count, texture map quality, lighting engine, material shaders, render quality) of the X1 can match the PS4, I'll live with non-native 1080p and enjoy the added benefits and features that the X1 offers.

A wild and unlikely thought: If it turns out that X1 is "crippled" from a hardware technical performance standpoint and sales are a disaster, with MS money in the bank, would they be willing to ship an upgraded console 6 months from now and give everyone who purchased an X1 a new console in order to remove all Xbox One's from the market so that Dev's wouldn't be tied down? It wouldn't be pretty from a financial standpoint, but could MS afford it if facing a no-win scenario with the current hardware?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
"Oh, darn, I wanted to buy an Xbox but it doesn't run Call of Duty: Ghosts in 1080p" - said no average consumer

I think we all need to calm down for a second.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
NOTHING has been proven - they are not even out yet lol and all the facts from people with hands on experience suggests they are comparable machines. The developers havnt had time to get to grips with the hardware hence the 720p instead of 1080 - it has NOTHING to do with the FACT that the Xbox is not powerful enough LOL - that's just a fantastical loony thing to think.

Exactly, X1 has games that run 1080p. It's fully capable. But Devs haven't had the time to build for it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Whereby "so far" means "one game".

Battlefield and Call of Duty have shown to run at higher resolutions. Considering these are probably the top-two options on the consoles for the first year (unlikely you even see the next Halo or Titanfall outsell these two), it's a pretty darned big deal.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll read the article a little later, but that graph tells me bad things. I'm within 8 feet of my 42" TV, so their graph says that 1080p is worth it. If that's the case, this matters even more.

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Battlefield and Call of Duty have shown to run at higher resolutions. Considering these are probably the top-two options on the consoles for the first year (unlikely you even see the next Halo or Titanfall outsell these two), it's a pretty darned big deal.

So far there is only one known game to be at 1080p/60 fps on XB1, Forza 5. And yes, COD and BF4 will be the top selling titles whether people think it's a good game or not. MS botched this, no question about it. For people who want to get an idea of why they're running at 720p, this is a recent article on the whole thing. The culprit might be the 32 MB ESRAM which might never allow XB1 to do 1080p/60 fps in most games at the same detail level as PS4. MS might have released gimped hardware. I'm not calling it yet, but it's looking more and more likely.

Xbox One Resolutiongate: the 720p fallout ?€? Articles ?€? Eurogamer.net

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
4K will not be commonplace for probably 5 years or so, at least, not for homes. I wouldn't worry about that. If 4K was a serious concern, I think we'd see consoles dominating 1080p at launch without ANY frame rate drops, because it's unlikely we get great 4K output with the hardware we have.

Tense

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
This really shouldn't be a problem so long as it's not a recurring trend with Xbox One games. Because if PS4 versions of multiplatform games are graphically more advanced (at least on paper, anyways)--pair that with the XO's higher price tag in most regions--that'll start to push consumers towards the PS4. But I don't see this being the case.
And I don't get how some people are saying you'll notice a difference on a larger display. Are you really sitting that close to your TV? For the most part, 720p doesn't look that different from 1080p to me on my TV. Actually, I tend to notice a difference only when gaming on a small TV or monitor since my face is physically closer to the screen.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
4K will not be commonplace for probably 5 years or so, at least, not for homes. I wouldn't worry about that. If 4K was a serious concern, I think we'd see consoles dominating 1080p at launch without ANY frame rate drops, because it's unlikely we get great 4K output with the hardware we have.

Like I said, native 4k. If it is too bad, or don't have a 4k TV, it will work fine on those as well. It doesn't hurt to have native 4k support.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Battlefield
If you're making the case of underpowered hardware, Battlefield runs at 900p on the PS4. As a PC gamer, the conclusion I would draw is not that the XB1 is terrible, but one of the following:

1. It's too early to make any definitive calls.
  2. Both consoles are terrible.
There's no "pretty darned big deal" when people have been staring at crappy 600p games and 720p broadcasts for the past decade. The new consoles render far more detailed worlds than the PS3 & 360, the visual jump will be there and will be satisfying – unless you're sitting too close to your screen, or for some reason have two TVs to compare them side-by-side. Even then, the fact that XB1's BF4 footage is even remotely comparable (let alone better, to some people's tastes) to the PS4's despite only having 64% of the native resolution tells you all you need to know.

Ultimately I'd have preferred both companies to have added $100 to their base cost and put that money directly to beefier GPUs.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
This really shouldn't be a problem so long as it's not a recurring trend with Xbox One games. Because if PS4 versions of multiplatform games are graphically more advanced (at least on paper, anyways)--pair that with the XO's higher price tag in most regions--that'll start to push consumers towards the PS4. But I don't see this being the case.
And I don't get how some people are saying you'll notice a difference on a larger display. Are you really sitting that close to your TV? For the most part, 720p doesn't look that different from 1080p to me on my TV. Actually, I tend to notice a difference only when gaming on a small TV or monitor since my face is physically closer to the screen.

I seat about a few feet away from a 32 inch tv (1080p), so the more pixels for me the better.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't much care to be honest.

I'm going to suck at 1080i COD every bit as much as I would do on 1080p

BF4 will have the better campaign storyline anyway - it's like comparing Chris Ryan to Steven Seagal.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I heard that even though the X1 is in 720p, it is still actually nice. Some say, it even looks nicer than the PS4! Imagine how much better it would if it was real 1080p though...

I think both BF4 and COD look better on the X1. The PS4 looked more washed out. I also hear the upscaler on the X1 is pretty good.
It's also been said the X1 version of BF4 is still missing the Ambient Occlusion so should look even better upon release.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
In 3 years, X1 will have out sold, out performed, and out featured the PS4, which is basically a more traditional game console with some other goodies thrown in. Nothing wrong with that, but MS is thinking bigger, and is more concerned with selling systems that will also push services, not just work with one media type. I know this kinda stinks like 2 day old fish heads for Call of Duty fans, but the long term is still better for the X1.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
In 3 years, X1 will have out sold, out performed, and out featured the PS4, which is basically a more traditional game console with some other goodies thrown in. Nothing wrong with that, but MS is thinking bigger, and is more concerned with selling systems that will also push services, not just work with one media type. I know this kinda stinks like 2 day old fish heads for Call of Duty fans, but the long term is still better for the X1.
I believe this is true!

But I will candidly admit now there is a kernel of doubt because I also believed MS was smarter than to completely mess up X1 intro/E3 and for the life of me I can't understand how 36 hours can pass since COD-720p-gate and there is no official word from MS or IW on the situation. Silence is damning and causes endless conjecture, 95% of which has been damaging to X1 brand. PS4 is rapidly becoming a skeleton of a console ... yet all people are talking about is resolution, how underpowered X1 is, and asking how can X1 possibly last for a 10yr generation if it can't even keep up at launch.

Again, I don't need to be convinced, I'm firmly on board for my day one edition. I'm just dumbfounded at the inability of MS, particularly after the reorganization, to capably deal with this situation.

marcusasdrubal

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is true!

But I will candidly admit now there is a kernel of doubt because I also believed MS was smarter than to completely mess up X1 intro/E3 and for the life of me I can't understand how 36 hours can pass since COD-720p-gate and there is no official word from MS or IW on the situation. Silence is damning and causes endless conjecture, 95% of which has been damaging to X1 brand. PS4 is rapidly becoming a skeleton of a console ... yet all people are talking about is resolution, how underpowered X1 is, and asking how can X1 possibly last for a 10yr generation if it can't even keep up at launch.

Again, I don't need to be convinced, I'm firmly on board for my day one edition. I'm just dumbfounded at the inability of MS, particularly after the reorganization, to capably deal with this situation.

I sent thousands of tweets to Albert Pennello, more than a Hundred, no answer...It is like admiting...our console is underpowered compared to PS4....sad =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo