PS4: No external storage, no DLNA support, no mp3 playback support. X1: Does all of the above.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1) the X1 has waaaayyyy more potential power than the ps4 due to cloud computing.

2) you've never even used it so just by saying "supposedly" you look dumb by basing your arguments on hypothetical. Edit: also, I don't know where you got "the OS is a mess". Even PS fans aren't happy about the PS4 OS saying how it looks like MySpace while the Xbox OS has been praised across the board.

3) oh, wow, its 2cm bigger than the PS4. do you know what else it 2cm? A bottle cap.

4) maybe indie games are your thing, but I've never bought one and I don't care.

5) please lend us your professional developer opinion, I'm sure you know what you're talking about. I guess a few games not being 1080p is a deal-breaker for you? Weird.

1. The cloud computing is a limited thing. If they make it fully-functional, you implement the always-online thing people were mad about in the first place. If you don't, you cannot properly fix the hardware restrictions, and the resolution issue remains intact.

2. By a "mess," he means that it's not the best of times for developers, which has been said (along with the issues regarding the Kinect/system GPU requirements and the ESRAM).

3. I think he means the power, though IDK what they are pulling for power in either case, so validity cannot be verified (at least, not by this reader).

4. And if they are, it affects him. Still, it doesn't seem like the state of indie games is necessarily bad on Microsoft, as they sounded like they were doing a lot to make it good at the show in Germany (or whatever) over the summer.

5. I don't know what this part of your reply actually means. However, consider that a 2-D fighting game, Killer Instinct, couldn't pull off 1080p. That really IS something worth worrying about, because if something that isn't apparently graphically-intensive and made in-house (sort-of, since Microsoft owns Rare) cannot pull of next-gen resolutions, the possibility of it in the future becomes less. Thing is, people say "Forza is 1080p!" but that is the ONLY game we've heard is 1080p so far. Killer Instinct, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Ryse, and Dead Rising allegedly are all sub-1080p (all are verified but Dead Rising). It might not be the BIGGEST problem, but when you get to Quantum Break, I'd imagine such a cinematic game would make those drawbacks more noticeable, if they are present.

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't you just put it behind your TV stand like every other plug? I'm just saying with the way specs, numbers, and apparent "insider knowledge" of X1 are thrown around here...putting a power brick behind everything can't be that difficult of a concept to grasp.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I suppose with certain kind of setups the power brick might be annoying, but I don't see it as an issue for majority of people. Mobility I find as a bit silly argument, I would be a bit mad at MS if they sacrificed ANYTHING in the Xbox One and said it was to make it easier to travel with.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, early-on, you're likely going to have many circles of friends where some don't own the new consoles. In those cases, you'd have people taking their consoles to their friends' houses, and that's where the inconvenience of modularity comes into play. Again, it's not some major deal, but I know, for instance, my cousin traded in his 360 a few years back. We both had one, and I had a different model of the--both were the original style, but they had different power input, so the connectors were different. The higher-powered plug worked on the lower-powered console, but not vice versa, and he accidentally traded in the low-power console and high-power brick together (GameStop let us swap it out, no problem). That's a different issue altogether, but I can also say that when you're transporting something like that, it would be an annoyance if you went across town to a friend's and forgot it, haha.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I suppose with certain kind of setups the power brick might be annoying, but I don't see it as an issue for majority of people. Mobility I find as a bit silly argument, I would be a bit mad at MS if they sacrificed ANYTHING in the Xbox One and said it was to make it easier to travel with.

My thing is, why is this what it is? Does the DDR3 need a bunch more power than the GDDR5, so they needed the external power source? That's my only possible conclusion, because they use the same CPU and semi-comparable GPUs, so I would think that the power draw is similar, unless the Kinect is a major source of power (which I didn't think it would be, but maybe it is). I'm just curious as to why Sony could get the PSU into the console with these last 2 generations, but Microsoft couldn't.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
My guess would just be that they didn't want to take any risks wth the cooling this time around. I know 360 had an external one too, but putting it inside the console certainly doesn't help the cooling and it actually takes quite a bit of physical space. I do lift my hat for Sony for managing to make a more powerful console in approximately the same size device, but with internal PSU with no issues coming from it.

Other option is probably that it's a lazier/easier solution and it's easily replaceable by the user.

I guess having used a lot of laptops I'm just so used to power bricks that on a non-mobile device it really doesn't bother me at all. It might sound funny, but even if I could decide if its inside or outside on the X1 I might still opt for the external one. If nothing else, I can replace it myself, but mostly I just feel that inside stuffed case is not the best place for a big, very hot brick :D

Like you said, it was like this last gen too (so was the "power comparison") but 360 still had it outside. I doubt it has anything to do with the specs or power required, probably just it being the easier option for MS.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
1. The cloud computing is a limited thing. If they make it fully-functional, you implement the always-online thing people were mad about in the first place. If you don't, you cannot properly fix the hardware restrictions, and the resolution issue remains intact.

2. By a "mess," he means that it's not the best of times for developers, which has been said (along with the issues regarding the Kinect/system GPU requirements and the ESRAM).

3. I think he means the power, though IDK what they are pulling for power in either case, so validity cannot be verified (at least, not by this reader).

4. And if they are, it affects him. Still, it doesn't seem like the state of indie games is necessarily bad on Microsoft, as they sounded like they were doing a lot to make it good at the show in Germany (or whatever) over the summer.

5. I don't know what this part of your reply actually means. However, consider that a 2-D fighting game, Killer Instinct, couldn't pull off 1080p. That really IS something worth worrying about, because if something that isn't apparently graphically-intensive and made in-house (sort-of, since Microsoft owns Rare) cannot pull of next-gen resolutions, the possibility of it in the future becomes less. Thing is, people say "Forza is 1080p!" but that is the ONLY game we've heard is 1080p so far. Killer Instinct, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Ryse, and Dead Rising allegedly are all sub-1080p (all are verified but Dead Rising). It might not be the BIGGEST problem, but when you get to Quantum Break, I'd imagine such a cinematic game would make those drawbacks more noticeable, if they are present.

1) people didn't like the always-on because Sony was offering something similar without it. If always-on means that you get way more potential, people would be ok with it. Plus, there's lots of ways to implement it where a game with a disc gets an ok game play, but the cloud computing makes a mind-blowing experience.

2) ok, if its just for developers, that makes sense. He should've clarified.

3) he mentions a power brick later in his rant, so I presumed he meant 2 different things

4) I agree. Indie games should be massively different on the X1, but I still don't play them.

5) he was talking about the developers and I was just pointing out that we don't know the full story, so we shouldn't assume what the problem is.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Haha, my bro is going to be pretty miffed given he streams pretty much everything via his pc to his ps3, but yeah I doubt Sony will completely omit these features all for the sake of their own services.. as otherwise they will be shooting both of their feet off, given the PS3 was made to be essentially media hub and generally you improve on your previous console and not go back.

In terms of consoles performing graphically, I doubt we will see anything graphically mind blowing in the early stages but nearer to the end of a consoles life span as developers get more comfortable with the console and are able to optimise better whereas the flip side, MS and Sony will continue to improve their SDK(s) and iron out the kinks. However having said that I am looking forward to be proven wrong come end of November by both consoles :p.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a 360. And I have to admit that the power brick is a bit cumbersome when it comes to traveling.

Back on topic, at the end of the day, these consoles are gonna live or die by its exclusives and which ones a gamer prefer.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I want to see a superman game for the next gen where you can go through building, fly into space, beat up general Zod, fight batman etc.

Destruction and space and Louise.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I want to see a superman game for the next gen where you can go through building, fly into space, beat up general Zod, fight batman etc.

eh, I wouldn't like a superman game. I'd feel like I'm constantly playing on God mode.

My ideal game would be something like Fallout, but get this... Everything is one giant world with no load times. If a super mutant is shooting at you from inside a building, you run inside and attack him. If you're inside a building, instead of everyone awkwardly standing outside waiting for you, they attack you and you can use the building as cover. Each building and every building is part of the giant world and all of the buildings can be travelled inside. Obviously, not for places where it makes sense to have a load time, like for example the Dead Money DLC.

I know Dead Rising 3 is suppose to do something like this, but I like the Fallout games better.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

I would love a Supes game done by Rockstar. Those guys nailed Batman. I think they could do the same for Superman.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted here yet: Yes, the Xbox One can play CDs and will support DLNA streaming — Xbox Uncut

So it's not all that rosey on Xbox One either, mostly just the lack of imported MP3s, but at least Play To works.

I don't care about storing music on Xbox. I already have an external HD that serves as my music server. But I should be able to play that music through Xbox via Play To. Or I should be able to plug in that external storage and play via that device.

I can do just that with Xbox. But PS4 is completely worthless when it comes to music playback. That's a deal killer. Far more than 720p game play.

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have become disgustingly infatuated with all of the "rumors", "complaints", "comments", "praises", "reviews", "First hand knowledge", "Insider Info" and "over-the-top stories" that I will be sad when both consoles are released. I've been paying particular attention to a blog by a very devout MS fan. I have to hand it to him, he has some pretty sensational material. He has some pretty good hypothesis about the X1 itself. I find it enthralling, it would be something if his "insider" info was true...me thinks not. On the flip-side of the coin there is a particular website that is so Pro-Sony, I'm drawn to it like moths to lights. The ridiculous comments and approved articles are so one-sided it is a travesty to journalism. I have to think it is a site completely sponsored by Sony it is so incredible. However, it keeps me coming back for more, much like Pavlov's Dogs.

I'm getting a X1, I'm not going to lie. I am not going to sugarcoat anything at all. I know it isn't as powerful (unless the MS persons blog is too be believed (yet)) as the PS4. I know that. I could care less. I've never gamed at 1080p so I honestly won't know what I'm missing in BF4. However, I have played the X1. I know how beautiful Forza looks...and that was over a month ago, so I'm sure it's only improved. It blew my mind, so I'll be quite content with my "underpowered" system.

The lack of media support is an utter shock for the PS4, Sony...the Sony that developed, CD's, DAT, Blu-Ray, and The Walkman. The company that basically invented portable music is not going to have access to it from the get go (until the patch is released), unless you pay for it via Sony's Music service. Incredible. Sony has made a war-horse of a console, and it's goal is to destroy the X1. Oddly enough, in gaming functions not media functions.

I'm old, I'm too old to be concerned about pixels, tessalation, shaders, die-sizes, and vertex-whirly-gigs. I want a system that can fit easily into my TV stand and blend in with the rest of my equipment (I'm looking at you X1, you lovely VCR looking machine) and I want a system that will integrate with my eco-system I have set-up. Which as strange as it sounds just so happens to be the Windows eco-system. I want a system that can play games and quite frankly I want a system I can turn on by my voice. Only because I'm too lazy to reach for the remote or get up off the davenport to turn it on.

Surprisingly, Xbox One, does all of that and (as I've heard through "my sources" and my favorite MS blogger) then some. Illumi-Room anyone?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss