PS4: No external storage, no DLNA support, no mp3 playback support. X1: Does all of the above.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The Xbox One won't support mp3's at launch either. And it will need another Windows device (PC or WP) with Play To capabilities to be able to stream it.

I was surprised by PS4's lack of support for DLNA (something that Sony itself created). And it's also baffling that the PS4 won't play CDs. Microsoft did well coming right away to clarify that the Xbox One will, because until now what we knew was that NONE of the consoles would support streaming of content through a PC etc.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony changed that upon launch. Apparently the backlash for the lack of those features was harsh (not as harsh as towards Xbox One's DRM but still) and Sony has already said they'll see into it. And I'm betting by "see into it for the future" means "oh sh*t, we have to fix that right away".

Makes sense if you think of it. If both are supposed to be "next generation consoles" it makes absolutely no sense that they lack features the former incarnations have. It's stupid (though economically understandable) enough that they can't play games from the prior consoles.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, pretty sure that Sony will eventually get the PS4 a software update that will enable all, if not most of these features. Doesn't really bother me, since I don't use my console for stuff like that, but I understand where the complaints are coming from.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Sony had to rush to market. That news would prompt me to cancel a pre-order if I had one. See if the launch goes smoothly first.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Sony wants to force people into using Sony services for media and have made a business decision to close off every means available for playing personal media on the PS4.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, pretty sure that Sony will eventually get the PS4 a software update that will enable all, if not most of these features. Doesn't really bother me, since I don't use my console for stuff like that, but I understand where the complaints are coming from.

Hey, don't be so sure. Remember that their "updates" with the PS3 involved removal of Linux installation and backwards compatibility.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey, don't be so sure. Remember that their "updates" with the PS3 involved removal of Linux installation and backwards compatibility.

I don't think many users who brought a PS3 would be able to do a installation of Linux anyway or know about it and if so it would be very small amount of users. As well SONY properly would have got rid off it due to being a security risk or may have caused issues with the system.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but the military actually strung a bunch of PS3s together, put Linus on them, and made a supercomputer. They weren't able to update the consoles after a while because of the removal of the feature, though.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And where have you heard this? PS3 Linux was extremely slow because of lack of ram and limited access to CPU.

AFRL to hold ribbon cutting for Condor supercomputer

"The Air Force Research Laboratory Information Directorate at Rome N.Y. will conduct a ribbon cutting Dec. 1 on a most unlikely supercomputer: a cluster of 1,760 Sony PlayStation 3 processors and 168 general-purpose Graphical Processing Units."

There's also a general article about non-gaming applications:

PlayStation 3 cluster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It actually says they put PS3 processors together, not actually a huge pile of PS3s, likely there is no software left of the PS3 at all, they just took the CPUs and used "external" GPUs too.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It actually says they put PS3 processors together, not actually a huge pile of PS3s, likely there is no software left of the PS3 at all, they just took the CPUs and used "external" GPUs too.

I was going to say where would they store all those hundreds of PS3. :p

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

More serious note no idea why they would use the PlayStation CPU it wasn't really that much difference to the Xbox 360.

Apart from the cell technology that was a pain for developers.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Does the PS3 have a proprietary CPU? If not, then does the supercomputer really have anything to do with the playstation at all? It sounds like they're just using the type of processor that is in the PS3. I don't think they would actually buy ps3's just for the processor unless it was a state of the art proprietary one.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Does the PS3 have a proprietary CPU? If not, then does the supercomputer really have anything to do with the playstation at all? It sounds like they're just using the type of processor that is in the PS3. I don't think they would actually buy ps3's just for the processor unless it was a state of the art proprietary one.

They legitimately bought PS3s, not just generic cell processors.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter what features the xb1 has over the ps4. The xb1 is less powerful, the OS is supposedly a mess, its harder to develop for ,its launching in half the countries as the ps4, its foot print is huge compared to the ps4, it has a power brick, the indie selection is putrid , and it basically can't keep up yet with the ps4. I cancelled my xb1 preorder and just bought a new video card. There's no way im beta testing the xb1 for MS. I'll wait until July. Microsoft screwed the Xbox brand in every way possible

gunnerou

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter what features the xb1 has over the ps4. The xb1 is less powerful, the OS is supposedly a mess, its harder to develop for ,its launching in half the countries as the ps4, its foot print is huge compared to the ps4, it has a power brick, the indie selection is putrid , and it basically can't keep up yet with the ps4. I cancelled my xb1 preorder and just bought a new video card. There's no way im beta testing the xb1 for MS. I'll wait until July. Microsoft screwed the Xbox brand in every way possible

Bitter much?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

1) the X1 has waaaayyyy more potential power than the ps4 due to cloud computing.

2) you've never even used it so just by saying "supposedly" you look dumb by basing your arguments on hypothetical. Edit: also, I don't know where you got "the OS is a mess". Even PS fans aren't happy about the PS4 OS saying how it looks like MySpace while the Xbox OS has been praised across the board.

3) oh, wow, its 2cm bigger than the PS4. do you know what else it 2cm? A bottle cap.

4) maybe indie games are your thing, but I've never bought one and I don't care.

5) please lend us your professional developer opinion, I'm sure you know what you're talking about. I guess a few games not being 1080p is a deal-breaker for you? Weird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb