Correct me if I'm wrong but purchasing an Xbox One comes automatically with a 1-year Xbox Live Gold subscription, right? Current Gold subscribers get a free game every month (Games with Gold). How will this work on Xbox One, which doesn't have a back catalog of games to pull from? I believe everyone gets Killer Instinct for free at launch, so that covers November, so to speak, but what will happen in December, January, February, etc.? Surely they won't be giving away any other new Xbox One titles those months.
    11-04-2013 05:19 PM
    We don't know if the Games With gold deal is going to carry over to the One, and when it would, if it did. All we know is that the 306 has had the offer extended indefinitely, and I'm 95% sure you don't get a free year of Gold with the console. You might get 48 hours or a month.
    11-04-2013 10:24 PM
    i don't think GamesWithgold will be running on Xbox One at all. Not sure what games should be given as free when console is new and there are just launnch titles. :)
    11-05-2013 04:11 AM
    I was wondering the same, I do believe I think I heard that they plan to continue it (I guess to battle Sony's equivalent), but I also do think that they can't really do it very early on with Xbox One when every title is still so new. I guess we'll see.
    11-05-2013 04:57 AM
    Unless you pick up a bundle deal the Xbox One doesn't come with a years gold subscription. And games with gold is purely for xbox 360 now for an indefinite period as others have mentioned
    11-05-2013 05:41 AM
    Unless you pick up a bundle deal the Xbox One doesn't come with a years gold subscription. And games with gold is purely for xbox 360 now for an indefinite period as others have mentioned
    Edit: Sorry, I was wrong. They confirmed that Games for Gold will be permanent, but no word on whether it will be available for Xbox One.
    11-05-2013 08:26 AM
    Just thinking over here so don't think this is a rumor or fact or anything. But what if they brought games for gold over to the xbox one. And some how that would bring select xbox 360 games over to the xbox one. They would have to rewrite code or run some emulator. But I would find that pretty cool if they did that. Again just some thoughts from me.
    11-05-2013 12:07 PM
    Just thinking over here so don't think this is a rumor or fact or anything. But what if they brought games for gold over to the xbox one. And some how that would bring select xbox 360 games over to the xbox one. They would have to rewrite code or run some emulator. But I would find that pretty cool if they did that. Again just some thoughts from me.
    I doubt that will happen though, but who knows.

But the Games with Gold is a fairly new iniative and they've said that they're carefully looking at how big incentive free games are with both Games with Gold and the PSN freebies. So I do think we're seeing something similar at least after a while. Like someone has already said, I doubt we get it right out of the gate cos the games are all new then and "not worth" giving out yet.
    11-05-2013 12:12 PM
    The thing I keep wondering is how hard setting up their own GaiKai-like service would be. If they can make these Xbox 360 pseudo-servers and stream 360 games to the One (not sure if that's how streaming a game works, just guessing), that'd be a big plus.
    xboxonthego3 likes this.
    11-05-2013 05:11 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but purchasing an Xbox One comes automatically with a 1-year Xbox Live Gold subscription, right? Current Gold subscribers get a free game every month (Games with Gold). How will this work on Xbox One, which doesn't have a back catalog of games to pull from? I believe everyone gets Killer Instinct for free at launch, so that covers November, so to speak, but what will happen in December, January, February, etc.? Surely they won't be giving away any other new Xbox One titles those months.
    It should be noted that Killer Instinct comes with a trial with 1 character, the rest cost money. Source: New Killer Instinct Trailer Reveals the Return of Orchid and Teases New Character
    11-05-2013 11:38 PM
    It should be noted that Killer Instinct comes with a trial with 1 character, the rest cost money. Source: New Killer Instinct Trailer Reveals the Return of Orchid and Teases New Character
    But if you buy the Day One 12-month Xbox Live Gold card you get a second character for 'free', Shadow Jago. That said, I really think it's a bad move not to give a free Xbox Live Gold trial with pre-ordered Xbox Ones. If you're dropping $500 on a preordered console, you should get a couple of months to test out the online service. It would be a cheap way for them to close the gap between Xbox One and PS4: throw in a few free months of Live Gold.
    11-06-2013 03:42 AM
    To be honest I would rather have a years live thrown in with my day one edition rather than fifa 14 - ive never really liked the fifa series. Would be good if day one edition buyers got the choice of free item seeing as they are all download codes anyway, I would like the choice between the launch titles or a years live.
    11-06-2013 04:56 AM
    Maybe they will bring the program on after a year or so (once release games get old) or if they do let it go, you'll end up with basic indy titltes. Does anyone know is Sony offering free games on the PS4 or did they kill that off ? (If Sony does it, I am sure MS will do it).

Just wondering, was there any perks on the Day One xbox one besides some lablels on the controller and system ?
    11-06-2013 09:00 AM
    The thing I keep wondering is how hard setting up their own GaiKai-like service would be. If they can make these Xbox 360 pseudo-servers and stream 360 games to the One (not sure if that's how streaming a game works, just guessing), that'd be a big plus.
    I thought I read somewhere that they were already looking into this with their Azure web-servers... or something like that...
    11-06-2013 10:21 AM
    To be honest I would rather have a years live thrown in with my day one edition rather than fifa 14
    I thought this was a UK or European thing only. Does every consumer who preordered a Day One edition of Xbox One, regardless of market, get FIFA 14?

Just wondering, was there any perks on the Day One xbox one besides some lablels on the controller and system ?
    Day One Achievement unlocked! Make all your achievement hunting friends with thin wallets jealous.
    11-06-2013 02:16 PM
    I thought this was a UK or European thing only. Does every consumer who preordered a Day One edition of Xbox One, regardless of market, get FIFA 14?
    Depends on market. Seems most of US gets no freebie games, some European countries get Fifa, some Forza. I get Titanfall + most likely Fifa or Forza, we'll see. Hoping that the game that hasnt been named yet would be Ryse or DR3 though :D I also get a 2nd controller!
    11-06-2013 02:22 PM
    got forza 5 bundle + extra controler + boxed fifa 14. still looking around to grab one more game, probably BF4 and that should be it till next spring when all the fun starts with titanfall, watchdogs, dying light, etc. :)
    11-07-2013 05:19 AM
    No, go for Zoo Tycoon. Battlefield was a total rush job and is a mess.
    11-07-2013 03:29 PM
    Battlefield 4 is epic even with the minor issues it has.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020
    11-07-2013 05:13 PM
    Battlefield 4 is epic even with the minor issues it has.

MINOR? I've watched video of the netcode issues, and if that is a minor mishap, then Clash of the Titans was only a below-average remake and a slightly over-valued deal in 3-D. I watched a guy unload both an assault rifle and a pistol fully into a a guy from about 10 feet, and there were not hit markers. I watched a guy put a sniper round through a guy's head, get nothing for it, then watch as he died standing up after crouching behind a wall 3 seconds before.
    11-07-2013 06:58 PM
    Well I've been playing it every night since it launched and the only issues im getting is it bricking my xbox when it hits certain maps in the conquest rotation and the occasional scenery clipping at long range with a sniper rifle

11-08-2013 01:49 PM
    Good news: Major Nelson announced on Twitter that Games With Gold will be coming to Xbox One in 2014.
    11-14-2013 03:52 PM
    Good news: Major Nelson announced on Twitter that Games With Gold will be coming to Xbox One in 2014.
    Well, that could be january or december :P

In comparison PSN+ starts giving away free games tomorrow, although just the indie'ish/arcade games Resogun and CONTRAST
    11-14-2013 03:53 PM
    Well, that could be january or december :P

In comparison PSN+ starts giving away free games tomorrow, although just the indie'ish/arcade games Resogun and CONTRAST
    PSN+ does not give away free games. It let's you borrow them temporarily for only as long as you are a paying customer. I much prefer the Xbox Games with Gold system that lets you keep the games permanently.
    11-14-2013 08:33 PM
    PSN+ does not give away free games. It let's you borrow them temporarily for only as long as you are a paying customer. I much prefer the Xbox Games with Gold system that lets you keep the games permanently.
    I prefer the Games With Gold setup, but I'd rather rent Assassin's Creed 3, which I don't have, rather than get a free copy of Assassin's Creed 2, which I beat probably a year ago. I haven't had my Gold lapse in over 10 years on the platform, so I'll take games like AS3 and Far Cry 3 over Halo 3 and Rainbow Six: Vegas both of which I played and beat so long ago I can't even remember much about either.
    11-14-2013 09:42 PM