Your hope for the next-gen

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My first point wa simply that saying "I don't get" is pointless in the discussion, because it doesn't really offer anything, nothing more.

When I say "mature," I'm not really talking about Forza. I'm talking about the games whose visuals many parents find unsavory for children. I'm talking about the games Congress says are the cause of everything evil from gun violence to global warming (shooters). I basically mean M-rated games. To maybe expand on it a bit more, to generalize a "mature" game, I think we have to turn a bit to the PC Master Race. By doing this, I mean consider visuals. What gets kids attention with games? Usually bright colors and goofy characters. 8-year-olds don't TYPICALLY take to seeing a Lancer cut a Horde enemy in half and cause extreme carnage like they do seeing Pokemon, nor do I expect/want them to. "kid" games isn't really the right phrase, "kid-friendly" makes more sense. Nintendo caters to that crowd well, it's their wheelhouse.

Also, I think you spoke in a backward sense. You say "except Activision and Ubisoft," but they are the two who DO support Nintendo. It's EA who doesn't but part of that problem is that they offer SO MANY games. The Dead Space franchise didn't reach Nintendo's stuff. Madden won't. NBA LIVE won't. Heck, even 2K Sports is putting NBA 2K14 on iOS and Android (albeit a stripped-down, $7 experience), but not Nintendo consoles. BioShock Infinite missed Nintendo, as did Borderlands. EA and 2K are big publishers, and while Activision and Ubisoft might support Nintendo, that EA and 2K don't is bigger, in my opinion.I'm actually just kind-of looking into this stuff as I type, and I see that id (makers of Quake, DOOM, and Rage) don't support Nintendo either, though they also haven't released a new game in 2 years and have no ETA for their next game (DOOM 4). Bethesda doesn't go the Nintendo route, meaning no Fallout or The Elder Scrolls. GTA V didn't make it to Nintendo, either. It's like the more I look into it, the worse it gets, because Ubisoft and Activision are the only ones I found who DO support Nintendo well.

So when I think about the third-party issue, I have to ask if Mario, and maybe Animal Crossing are worth the compromise of losing Rage, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, BioShock, Borderlands, NBA 2K14 (the first of the series to not make it to Nintendo), and probably a lot more. That's all before I consider losing out on Forza, Halo, Gears, and so on from Microsoft. Microsoft at least has Rareware now, and they did well with Viva Pinata. Their Banjo-Kazooie remake actually got great reviews, and I own it, but I have too many other games I am trying to finish to get to it. Then there are Project Spark and Zoo Tycoon coming to the One.

My ultimate point is that, while both options have their strong suits, Microsoft at least TRIES to fill the gaps it has when matched up against Nintendo. They obviously don't touch the level of Mario or Zelda, and they don't get Rare to do enough of these high-quality, kid-friendly games, but there are plenty of great experiences in that niche. Nintendo completely ignores the realistic violence and M-rated stuff that really sells units. They don't offer shooters or realistic racing games or simulation sports games (because EA and 2K pretty much own all of the franchises, it seems). I've often said that when people argue if Sony or Microsoft makes the better first-party stuff, the right answer is "Nintendo," when considering HOW MANY good games they put out (I'd rank Halo above all Nintendo does, but Microsoft's first-party catalog just isn't as deep). It's just that their third-party support is third-rate, to the point where Microsoft and Sony try to trade tit-for-tat over minor exclusives for games (early DLC, silly in-game exclusives), while Nintendo can't even get the BASE games to their platform.

If you have the money to spare, I'd never say get a Wii U. If you're like me, and you have to pick one platform, Nintendo's probably a distant third to Sony, and that's coming from someone who doesn't want a Sony console whatsoever. I'd actually say that if you can own 2 consoles, make 1 Xbox or PlayStation, but make the second the Wii U, because Sony and Microsoft have a good bit of sameness with different games (Halo-Killzone, Forza-Gran Turismo, Ryse-God of War, etc.). So if you can pick ONE console, Nintendo's last. If you can pick 2, Nintendo's pretty-much first, because it differentiates so well from the other two that it will fill more gaps than getting an Xbox and a PlayStation ever would.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
"Realistic violence and M-Rated games that really sells units"

THIS is what I'm tired of. THIS is what's pushing me to the Wii U. THIS is what the console industry has to get itself out of.

I want a turn-based strategy game. I want a shmup. I want a JRPG. I want a visual novel (that ISN'T in Japanese, for once). And so on, and so forth.

THIS is what I really want for this Gen. For all the niche genres to take the spotlight, and all the mainstream genres to take a backseat, for once.

And, if Nintendo doesn't take this Gen, I'll have to retreat to the PC to get what I want.

I'm shedding a tear for all the Nintendo IPs that never got their turn in the spotlight. Especially the Mother series.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My hope for the next generation is that there will be a next gen return for a number of franchises that have been on the shelf that could really flourish with Kinect 2.0. Sega was doing some great stuff on Dreamcast and the orginal Xbox -- Gunvalkyrie (so hard with standard controllers but seemingly made for Kinect), Jet Set Radio (spray paint for real now), Crazy Taxi (open world, Kinect option), Panzer Dragoon (woohoo, we got this one in Crimson Dragoon!), NFL 2K (first person football + Kinect, EA still doesn't allow for customized stadium sounds). While I love Kinect Sports, I want Rare to be thoroughly unleashed and allow their creative juices to flow. I want Harmonix to keep innovating in their space -- can't wait to see how Fantasia turns out. I want turn-based JRPG's with motion control options. I want games to be games again, understanding that there still is a place for FPS and M games, but that our children can also be doing so much better than iPad/iPhone games.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
First off Keith, great discussion here going on.

I absolutely agree about Nintendo 3rd party issues. I don't know whose to blame for the problems. Nintendo says they're open working with 3rd party developers. Some developers.claim Nintendo is a pain to work with. Some claim its not that bad. So the truth is somewhere in the middle.

As for mentioning Ubisoft and Activision, it wasn't in regards to whether or not they support the Wii U. Their last few AC and CoD offerings respectively have both been released for the Wii U. My point was that besides Nintendo, those two companies have come under fire as of late for releasing milking their big franchises with yearly releases as opposed to a Rockstar and GTA coming out every few years or so.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Both PS4 and the XB1 are going to nail games. They did it last gen and they will this gen. They will look pretty much the same and play the same. Not worried at all.

What I'm excited for is the stuff beyond games and after watching that 12 minute demo video, I'm pretty jacked up for all that entertainment intergration. The new Kinect looks awesome and I loved the fact how it responded so quick to those two guys as well as how fast it identified them and signed them in. I can totally picture my daughter walking up to it and all the icons turning pink for her stuff as well as skyping my friends and family around the country so seemlessly.

I'm also looking forward to the future merging of the XBox, Windows and Windows Phone line...

Finally.. I want a Total War game to come to the consoles... Mmmmm, Total War......

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
"Realistic violence and M-Rated games that really sells units"

THIS is what I'm tired of. THIS is what's pushing me to the Wii U. THIS is what the console industry has to get itself out of.

I want a turn-based strategy game. I want a shmup. I want a JRPG. I want a visual novel (that ISN'T in Japanese, for once). And so on, and so forth.

But see, it's not like Sony and Microsoft won't look into these things. They won't put a high level of effort into them, I'd imagine, but they'll probably explore options, as will third-party developers. Really, the only turn-based game I ever cared greatly for was Fire Emblem though. I don't even know what "shmup" means. I don't know what makes something a "JRGP," because that just sounds like it has to come from Japan. I don't know what a visual novel game is either, haha. What is D4? Does that count? I think its maker's Japanese though, so...It's weird you ask for a JRPG but want a visual novel that's NOT Japanese.

However, while Microsoft and Sony might fill some of that stuff, and we KNOW they'll expand from the general hyper-realism games with stuff like Knack, Zoo Tycoon (third-party), and whatever else (early on, it's hard to say), I also know Nintendo won't touch anything I typically play. They don't do sports games. The racing games are all-arcade, and not even Snowboard Kids. The shooters are few and far between. Pokemon isn't on the Wii U yet, despite the fact that they should have had a new Stadium title with X and Y out. They aren't leveraging their consoles together, like how Sony's offering Remote Play. They don't offer a real online experience.

The issue is that while I like Nintendo, they just offer more gaps in coverage. They might fill niches better, but they leave gaping mainstream holes, and even things that aren't an issue of mainstream/niche (like hiding Pokemon on a separate console and not having online).

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* I'm a fan of turn-based strategy (really, Civ is what got me there in the first place. Surprised that Civ hasn't made its way to the current Gen consoles.)
A shmup is quite literally, a shoot 'em up. The harder, the better. 2D (Touhou) or 3D (Starfox) is fine with me. You should know what a JRPG is. If not, I'll give you an example: Final Fantasy. Also, why do you not know what a VN is? Think of something along the lines of Ace Attorney if you want to pick something up now. For the most part, they're PC-only. Think Katawa Shoujo, Clannad or Steins;Gate to get you going.

Now, since that's addressed, let me have one final rant.

Video game music has been pushed aside for as long as I remember.
If someone tells a friend that their taste is somewhere along the lines of video game music, the friend immediately shoots the friend down.
Why?
Because it's just...weird. Listening to 8-bit crap comes to their minds.

Now, what does this have to do with my rant?
It means that video game music has been pushed down for far too long.
Let me tell you some games that have great soundtracks. Really, it just depends on your tastes.
The Final Fantasy series. The Fire Emblem series (at least, after Sword of Seals). The Mario Kart series. The Pok?mon series (yes, even some of its spinoffs.) The Touhou series. The Persona series. The GTA series (like it or not, I actually listen to the radio.) The Mother series. And, these are just the series I can name off the top of my head.

I just want a large number of games this Gen with great OSTs.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
For the most part, they're PC-only. Think Katawa Shoujo, Clannad or Steins;Gate to get you going.

I've seen a few of those make it to the consoles, usually Lucasarts remakes or Telltale fare. But yeah, PC is definitely your friend for these. A bunch have popped up in Windows 8.

It's funny, because in Japan apparently the first three Phoenix Wright games made it to PC at some point. Don't know about the others.

Actually, while I'm here, I should mention there is one other thing I hope devs try this generation: Oculus Rift support... on a console. Yes, I do want to see that, especially since I've seen indie developers combine that device with the Kinect for some absolutely crazy nifty stuff. It's technically possible as it can take an HDMI input. All the software developers have to do is find a way to put this to use. An inexpensive switch or splitter either packaged with a game or sold as an accessory should take care of all the details, unless the console developers want to make an Oculus Rift boot disk or something.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
*sigh* I'm a fan of turn-based strategy (really, Civ is what got me there in the first place. Surprised that Civ hasn't made its way to the current Gen consoles.)
A shmup is quite literally, a shoot 'em up. The harder, the better. 2D (Touhou) or 3D (Starfox) is fine with me. You should know what a JRPG is. If not, I'll give you an example: Final Fantasy. Also, why do you not know what a VN is? Think of something along the lines of Ace Attorney if you want to pick something up now. For the most part, they're PC-only. Think Katawa Shoujo, Clannad or Steins;Gate to get you going.

Now, since that's addressed, let me have one final rant.

Video game music has been pushed aside for as long as I remember.
If someone tells a friend that their taste is somewhere along the lines of video game music, the friend immediately shoots the friend down.
Why?
Because it's just...weird. Listening to 8-bit crap comes to their minds.

Now, what does this have to do with my rant?
It means that video game music has been pushed down for far too long.
Let me tell you some games that have great soundtracks. Really, it just depends on your tastes.
The Final Fantasy series. The Fire Emblem series (at least, after Sword of Seals). The Mario Kart series. The Pok?mon series (yes, even some of its spinoffs.) The Touhou series. The Persona series. The GTA series (like it or not, I actually listen to the radio.) The Mother series. And, these are just the series I can name off the top of my head.

I just want a large number of games this Gen with great OSTs.

1. Turn-Based Strategy's the one I always associate with PC myself. I played a bit of it as a teen, but I never loved it. The exception is that I LOVED Fire Emblem on my GBA, and actually beat both GBA titles on an emulator last year. I even made sure to re-start when characters died (though I didn't do the silly friendship speech things).
2. Doesn't really clear up the idea of a "shmup," since I never played Starfox and haven't heard of Touhou.
3. So...JRPG = Hack-and-slash anime games mostly, then? Kingdom Hearts is my experience in that realm, and while I love it, a lot of that has to do with the Disney factor...like 80% of my love for that game franchise is Disney-related.
4. No idea what any of those games are, oh, well.

As for game music, meh. I'm not an instrumental music person myself (I even skip many interludes of bands I like). People talk up the Halo soundtrack all the time, but I don't get why. They say it helps immerse you in the experience, but I can't tell you what the sounds of its score after beyond the intro.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
On the side note, it would be great if more people could play online multiplayer on 1 xbox. We are doing Fifa parties with my mates, but we cant play online, so it would be great if all players (with xbox live subscription) would be able to play on 1 machine, everyone logged to own account from within the game.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
On the side note, it would be great if more people could play online multiplayer on 1 xbox. We are doing Fifa parties with my mates, but we cant play online, so it would be great if all players (with xbox live subscription) would be able to play on 1 machine, everyone logged to own account from within the game.

Your wish has been granted ;). The XBOX One highlights that. In fact, only one account on the XBOX is needed to have access to XBOX Live Gold in order for any other 'sub' accounts to work on it :).

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Your wish has been granted ;). The XBOX One highlights that. In fact, only one account on the XBOX is needed to have access to XBOX Live Gold in order for any other 'sub' accounts to work on it :).

Well, I also remember some games supporting that on the 360. Depends on the game, really.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So, spurred by another poster's love for Kameo and our mutual desire for the powers that be at Microsoft make a sequel
Just saw a rumor that Kameo 2 is being developed by Rare. Heck yeah. Woo-freaking-hoo. Just take my $500+$60 now if true. My sense is it will beat Knack's review scores.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Wait a second on this... So if someone else has a profile on my Xbox one, who only has a silver account (non-gold member) but, I am a gold member, they can play games on xbox live like they were a gold member ? They can play Muli-player, etc just like I could under my profile ?

AKA, a Family account on one console ?

Games that will have good story and make you feel you are part of it. The last Tomb Raider can be the start.

Heck yea ! The reason why I have a PS3, the Uncharted series (all of them) and The last of US really made you feell like that. These are the games that I like the best ! Tomb Raider was great too, agree there..

My dream would come to life if Naughy Dog came to the Xbox one...I would not end up getting a PS4 then...

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
David - yes. That is correct from my understanding. Only the 'master' account needs to have XBOX Live Gold in order to give the 'goodies' to the rest of the accounts on the system.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Just saw a rumor that Kameo 2 is being developed by Rare. Heck yeah. Woo-freaking-hoo. Just take my $500+$60 now if true. My sense is it will beat Knack's review scores.

Doubtful. There was a gamespot article on the 22th of October this year that said Microsoft already squished that rumor. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb