I am thinking of buying a Xbox one when it comes out. I have a 920 and a surface. I'm digging the MS eco system. I am not a gamer, what I want to use the Xbox for is a tv "system". What I mean by that is movies( Netflix, amazon, Hulu, ect..) I will buy some games trust me. The last time I hit games was the original Nintendo. If have some serious gear I will apply. My question to you boys that know is the Xbox one a good fit for what I want? Interactive tv? I can read reviews but I have found members of forums like this have the best Info I have found.. Thanks.
    11-15-2013 11:24 PM
    I'd recommend a Roku just for TV. It's a lot cheaper if one is mainly interested in Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Video on TV.
    11-15-2013 11:27 PM
    I'd recommend a Roku just for TV. It's a lot cheaper if one is mainly interested in Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Video on TV.
    Apple TV is what I use. Works great!

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    11-15-2013 11:43 PM
    Apple TV is what I use. Works great!

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Can a PC user use Apple TV? The OP didn't mention having any Macs.
    11-15-2013 11:46 PM
    Roku, or just get a smart TV. I have a Vizio that works great.
    christenmartin likes this.
    11-15-2013 11:48 PM
    I'd probably take a 360 if you just want the media apps. You can get all of the Netflix and Hulu stuff on the 360, even on the 4-GB console, and it woudl run you about $300 less.
    christenmartin likes this.
    11-16-2013 12:04 AM
    Don't forget that you'll need a gold subscription on top of any streaming subscriptions to even use the majority of the features.
    11-16-2013 12:12 AM
    I am thinking of buying a Xbox one when it comes out. I have a 920 and a surface. I'm digging the MS eco system. I am not a gamer, what I want to use the Xbox for is a tv "system". What I mean by that is movies( Netflix, amazon, Hulu, ect..) I will buy some games trust me. The last time I hit games was the original Nintendo. If have some serious gear I will apply. My question to you boys that know is the Xbox one a good fit for what I want? Interactive tv? I can read reviews but I have found members of forums like this have the best Info I have found.. Thanks.
    As for your question, if you still plan to get some next-gen games, then yes.

Like many have pointed out, there are cheaper options to just use those media apps, but an Xbox One will probably serve you for maaaany years and gets you access to the biggest titles (except for like Sony/Nintendo exclusives).

I'm getting the Xbox One with quite similar thoughts. It's not primarily for TV/movies for me but largely that too. What sold it to me was mostly the integration and actually having an ecosystem.. whereas Sony has just PSVita that nobody even has (and even this works pretty bad according to reviews :D).

But yeah, to recap, if you are sure you want to also have a next-gen gaming console with those features, go ahead! Then again, you said you dig the ecosystem and for that itch no Roku or Apple TVs will help! :D
    11-16-2013 02:14 AM
    I left out that I will be playing some games and I do have a son that will get good use out of it. I just want to make sure that it does other things also. You have to have a gold subscription to access web base subscriptions? By the way appreciate the info.
    11-16-2013 08:34 AM
    Gold is required to do pretty much everything with the console. Online Matchmaking, Netflix, Skype, Hulu, ESPN 3, etc. If you're not a gold subscriber you can usually find a 1 year card on ebay for around $25-$35.
    11-16-2013 08:40 AM
    Gold is required to do pretty much everything with the console. Online Matchmaking, Netflix, Skype, Hulu, ESPN 3, etc. If you're not a gold subscriber you can usually find a 1 year card on ebay for around $25-$35.
    Thanks and that sucks. I have a Wii that's hooked up to the TV that allows access to all with out a subscription to anything. That might be a deal breaker. It sure looks good though.
    11-16-2013 11:18 AM
    Can a PC user use Apple TV? The OP didn't mention having any Macs.
    No Macs around here! ;-)
    11-16-2013 11:21 AM
    An AMD APU-based HTPC is also an option.
    11-16-2013 12:29 PM
    I'd agree and say the XB360 is the way to go. Wait until a few days after XB1 launch and get one really cheap on Craigslist. Make sure you get one with Kinect. The sports games are really fun.
    11-17-2013 09:25 AM
    I'd agree and say the XB360 is the way to go. Wait until a few days after XB1 launch and get one really cheap on Craigslist. Make sure you get one with Kinect. The sports games are really fun.
    ive been eyeing the 360. like you said need to wait until xb1 is out they are still a little expensive.
    11-18-2013 10:46 AM
    ive been eyeing the 360. like you said need to wait until xb1 is out they are still a little expensive.
    Get a used 360. You could easily get a 4gb for $170. You could also look at a Wii U. You can play all your Wii games on it.
    11-18-2013 10:53 AM
    Get a used 360. You could easily get a 4gb for $170. You could also look at a Wii U. You can play all your Wii games on it.
    The 4-GB console is a colossal failure. You could get a used 250-GB one for $170 on eBay. It's $220 on GameStop, and it's unquestionably worth the extra $50. You couldn't use Games With Gold with a 4-GB console. you couldn't install dames to the HDD. I mean, it's just SOOOO limiting.
    11-18-2013 11:42 AM
    [TAB][/TAB]I think the Wii U or a 360 is it. In just need to try them out. I agree more memory is better. Its like a gun, I would rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. thanks. time to hit youtube for some videos on game systems.
    Yay.
    11-20-2013 12:19 PM
    A 360 would likewise require a gold sub.

PS3 would be a good option.
    11-20-2013 12:37 PM