Twitch.tv streaming from X1 not available at launch.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm completely clueless about gaming, since it's not something I do, so this might be a dumb question. Why would someone want to use twitch.tv? Is it for making a tutorial on how to play a game or how to get to certain levels?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It obviously can be used for that, but I think it also gives an avenue for those that are REALLY GOOD (or really bad...) showcase their skills in how they play the game, or just be a way for people to mess around...

I'm sure we'll see more opportunities and different uses as gamers find all sorts of different ways to use the streaming features... we'll see though...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps that too, streaming games is REALLY popular now. Some people enjoy watching others play while they do a commentary at the same time etc. I don't really know why, personally I rather play myself than watch others play, but obviously many like to watch other (probably better ones too?) players except them. Just go to twitch.tv frontpage and you can probably see how theres a HUGE amount of people streaming different games and many of them have thousands of watchers live.

I guess part of the reason is how it's live and many streamers interact with their watchers who can comment through the chat.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It obviously can be used for that, but I think it also gives an avenue for those that are REALLY GOOD (or really bad...) showcase their skills in how they play the game, or just be a way for people to mess around...

I'm sure we'll see more opportunities and different uses as gamers find all sorts of different ways to use the streaming features... we'll see though...

Perhaps that too, streaming games is REALLY popular now. Some people enjoy watching others play while they do a commentary at the same time etc. I don't really know why, personally I rather play myself than watch others play, but obviously many like to watch other (probably better ones too?) players except them. Just go to twitch.tv frontpage and you can probably see how theres a HUGE amount of people streaming different games and many of them have thousands of watchers live.

I guess part of the reason is how it's live and many streamers interact with their watchers who can comment through the chat.

That makes sense. I could see where it would be popular. It reminds me of the Poker TV shows. I'd rather play Texas Hold'em than watch pros play on TV, but people do learn strategy by watching the Poker TV shows; so I could see where this would work for video games too.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm happier with the DVR thing, cos I dont have upload bandwidth for streaming anyways. Also I like to be able to control what goes out there, something you can do when you are live.

Naturally I want the streaming feature ASAP for the sake of others. It's a shame that MS announced the feature first, but didn't end up getting it in shape fast enough.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So not even an ETA? That sucks, because while I've never been one to use those sites, I'd considered hopping on and getting a look at the games that way when the console launched. Sucks.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it was said though that watching streams would be available with the app, though? Most PS4 streams currently worth watching are with a capture card too, the built-in streamer is just too meh quality.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So not even an ETA? That sucks, because while I've never been one to use those sites, I'd considered hopping on and getting a look at the games that way when the console launched. Sucks.

Wouldn't be too negative just yet. Looking at a few of the PS4 livestreams on twitch the quality isn't great. Would rather MS held off and delivered a decent product for once than rushing it out the gate at launch and fixing it later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6