11-21-2013 10:15 PM
36 12
tools
    No, the response idea makes it too long of a command. If you have to command, get a reply, then command against to specify which game, you've hit the wall where it becomes faster to do it with a controller, I think.

Awesome secondary option--SmartGlass. This runs the risk of friend/family intereference and trolling, but if you could open your games list on your phone and tell that to launch on your Xbox, that might be a great option as well. It would allow for an easily-scrolled menu like on Xbox Music, with alphabetical headers and everything.
    11-20-2013 12:37 PM
    Did anyone else notice the verge say that the Xbox UI was hard to navigate and unattractive? They claim the ps4 is less intimidating and more intuitive...Really????
    Anandtech said something similar. He didn't compare it to the PS4 (he said it's a lot better than the 360), but he did mention that its setup isn't ideal, and that it can be a bit of an annoyance at times.
    11-20-2013 12:37 PM
    Also, I think nobody is gonna be "herpderp I control everything with voice!" These reviewers and even Microsoft are showing some pretty silly stuff. Why on earth would you say "Xbox, go home" with the controller in your hand? There is no legit reason to do that. However, when you don't have the controller in your hand it's a whole other question!

I think after a while many of us who won't unplug the Kinect (looking at you, Keith! :D) will find a balance between using the controller and using the voice. Some things are no doubt simpler to do with controller, some things are easier to do with voice (like snapping). Many of the things that are easier to do on controller also become relevant when you necessarily don't have the controller in hand. Just from my own life I can come up with several situations where I might use voice commands when I've yet to pick up the controller. It might not be a whole lot faster, but I think the "Xbox, on" command is a great example of that while I still arrange my snacks and energy drinks and make room on the couch that is too often filled with clothes and pillows lol :D

But I guess what I'm saying is that obviously they try to show the functionality as widely as possible, but just many of the scenarios arn't very realistic. That however doesn't mean that there would be no viable scenarios for it!
    Vallos likes this.
    11-20-2013 12:53 PM
    One of the biggest advantages of the Kinect (as it is on the 360) is just saying XBOX bing (or show me I guess as it is with the One) blah blah - so much easier than trying to type that out on an on-screen keyboard...
    11-20-2013 01:05 PM
    No, the response idea makes it too long of a command. If you have to command, get a reply, then command against to specify which game, you've hit the wall where it becomes faster to do it with a controller, I think.
    I agree with that, but the response stuff would only come into play if the request was vague. If I say "play forza 5", it would simply launch it because it's unique enough. If somebody just said "play forza" I would think a follow up question from the XBox would be better then it simply saying, sorry not specific enough, and making you start all over.
    11-20-2013 02:18 PM
    Did anyone else notice the verge say that the Xbox UI was hard to navigate and unattractive? They claim the ps4 is less intimidating and more intuitive...Really????
    Considering we are already seeing the UI via SmartGlass, I think they are staring down their nose at consumers with such comments. I love the richness of content and the number of things you can do.
    11-20-2013 02:26 PM
    Doesn't it have a UI demo/how to mode the first time you boot it up? One would think so...
    11-20-2013 02:45 PM
    Doesn't it have a UI demo/how to mode the first time you boot it up? One would think so...
    Windows 8 has one too, yet still the average user doesnt know how to do crap with it :D
    11-20-2013 02:53 PM
    Windows 8 has one too, yet still the average user doesnt know how to do crap with it :D
    to be fair, all the tutorial says is "swipe to the right to get charms" or "move mouse to the top right corner to bring up charms" which there is a lot more to windows 8 than that. The help and tips app in 8.1 helps a lot, but still doesn't cover everything.
    11-20-2013 03:10 PM
    Many of you are missing the reason behind the tiny pause after "Xbox". It's so that it doesn't stand at attention anytime you're in the room casually talking ABOUT the Xbox. If you were speaking it in a sentence you'd usually be flowing straight into another word, so that tiny pause helps differentiate. It's always listening which is good or bad depending on how you feel about it, and it has to have a way of not jumping around every time someone accidentally says a command in casual speech. So yes just learn the cadence and the commands and you should be fine I'm betting.
    11-21-2013 10:13 PM
    Also, I think nobody is gonna be "herpderp I control everything with voice!" These reviewers and even Microsoft are showing some pretty silly stuff. Why on earth would you say "Xbox, go home" with the controller in your hand? There is no legit reason to do that. However, when you don't have the controller in your hand it's a whole other question!

I think after a while many of us who won't unplug the Kinect (looking at you, Keith! :D) will find a balance between using the controller and using the voice. Some things are no doubt simpler to do with controller, some things are easier to do with voice (like snapping). Many of the things that are easier to do on controller also become relevant when you necessarily don't have the controller in hand. Just from my own life I can come up with several situations where I might use voice commands when I've yet to pick up the controller. It might not be a whole lot faster, but I think the "Xbox, on" command is a great example of that while I still arrange my snacks and energy drinks and make room on the couch that is too often filled with clothes and pillows lol :D

But I guess what I'm saying is that obviously they try to show the functionality as widely as possible, but just many of the scenarios arn't very realistic. That however doesn't mean that there would be no viable scenarios for it!
    Yeah imagine you're doing something with your hands like building a PC or folding laundry. I don't know about you guys but I don't keep the controller in my hand whenever I'm in the TV room, it's going to be nice to move around without having to go for the controller. You can use whichever you prefer, the additional choice is nice.
    11-21-2013 10:15 PM
36 12