Xbox One Review

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I think I'll get the commands down from the getgo, mainly because I already have a Kinect for the 360 and I'm used to the 'Xbox [pause] bing whatever..."

I think if you've used the Kinect before (or have one for the 360) you'll be fine.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
That DOES really suck with the Kinect, though. When/if I get a new Xbox, I'd at-least consider trying its features out. However, it sounds like using the controller is somewhat faster than using the Kinect at times. I could probably pull up my loaded disc faster than I could say, "Xbox, play Forza Motorsport 5," and I can tell you now that the first time I try to play a game and don't know its full title, I'll give up on the Kinect sooner than I'll figure out the title, because I'll have to go to the game to figure out the title, at which point the Kinect is no longer a sensible help.

The biggest feature they could possibly add would be the creating of custom commands. I'd rather not have to say "Xbox, watch TV" to get to my HDMI in of my PC. If they can't get the Kinect to be dynamic and intelligent (something that I would expect to need a constant Internet connection like Siri), then I think they need a "Command Creation" tool. On the 360, when you go to a game, you can choose to launch or delete it. They should add a tile to create a launch command for it. You then either say or type the command (I suggest the typing because of accents and such), and you can then test that it works before finalizing the creation.

That rigt there makes the Kinect a great tool. It allows folks to create commands based on how they're thinking. No one thinks "I want to play Forza Motorsport 5," people think "I want to play Forza." It would also help with the multi-release issue. You could update the newest Forza to be the "play Forza" command, then change the "play Forza" command on the launch game to "play Forza 5."

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
a command creation tool is a great idea. Too much customization can cause problems tho, which is usually why they opt to not do it. I'm all in on your idea tho! lets write a letter to M$!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Games should have keywords. For example Forza Motorsport 5 could have the keywords of 'forza' and 'forza 5'

That way when you say, XBox, Play Forza it will find Forza Motorsport 5. Down the road when there is Forza Motorsport 6 or 7, XBox can then follow up with you and ask if you wanted 5 or 6 or 7? Pretty simple really.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone else notice the verge say that the Xbox UI was hard to navigate and unattractive? They claim the ps4 is less intimidating and more intuitive...Really????

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, the response idea makes it too long of a command. If you have to command, get a reply, then command against to specify which game, you've hit the wall where it becomes faster to do it with a controller, I think.

Awesome secondary option--SmartGlass. This runs the risk of friend/family intereference and trolling, but if you could open your games list on your phone and tell that to launch on your Xbox, that might be a great option as well. It would allow for an easily-scrolled menu like on Xbox Music, with alphabetical headers and everything.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone else notice the verge say that the Xbox UI was hard to navigate and unattractive? They claim the ps4 is less intimidating and more intuitive...Really????

Anandtech said something similar. He didn't compare it to the PS4 (he said it's a lot better than the 360), but he did mention that its setup isn't ideal, and that it can be a bit of an annoyance at times.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Also, I think nobody is gonna be "herpderp I control everything with voice!" These reviewers and even Microsoft are showing some pretty silly stuff. Why on earth would you say "Xbox, go home" with the controller in your hand? There is no legit reason to do that. However, when you don't have the controller in your hand it's a whole other question!

I think after a while many of us who won't unplug the Kinect (looking at you, Keith! :D) will find a balance between using the controller and using the voice. Some things are no doubt simpler to do with controller, some things are easier to do with voice (like snapping). Many of the things that are easier to do on controller also become relevant when you necessarily don't have the controller in hand. Just from my own life I can come up with several situations where I might use voice commands when I've yet to pick up the controller. It might not be a whole lot faster, but I think the "Xbox, on" command is a great example of that while I still arrange my snacks and energy drinks and make room on the couch that is too often filled with clothes and pillows lol :D

But I guess what I'm saying is that obviously they try to show the functionality as widely as possible, but just many of the scenarios arn't very realistic. That however doesn't mean that there would be no viable scenarios for it!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
One of the biggest advantages of the Kinect (as it is on the 360) is just saying XBOX bing (or show me I guess as it is with the One) blah blah - so much easier than trying to type that out on an on-screen keyboard...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
No, the response idea makes it too long of a command. If you have to command, get a reply, then command against to specify which game, you've hit the wall where it becomes faster to do it with a controller, I think.

I agree with that, but the response stuff would only come into play if the request was vague. If I say "play forza 5", it would simply launch it because it's unique enough. If somebody just said "play forza" I would think a follow up question from the XBox would be better then it simply saying, sorry not specific enough, and making you start all over.

michfan

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Considering we are already seeing the UI via SmartGlass, I think they are staring down their nose at consumers with such comments. I love the richness of content and the number of things you can do.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8 has one too, yet still the average user doesnt know how to do crap with it :D

to be fair, all the tutorial says is "swipe to the right to get charms" or "move mouse to the top right corner to bring up charms" which there is a lot more to windows 8 than that. The help and tips app in 8.1 helps a lot, but still doesn't cover everything.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Many of you are missing the reason behind the tiny pause after "Xbox". It's so that it doesn't stand at attention anytime you're in the room casually talking ABOUT the Xbox. If you were speaking it in a sentence you'd usually be flowing straight into another word, so that tiny pause helps differentiate. It's always listening which is good or bad depending on how you feel about it, and it has to have a way of not jumping around every time someone accidentally says a command in casual speech. So yes just learn the cadence and the commands and you should be fine I'm betting.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Also, I think nobody is gonna be "herpderp I control everything with voice!" These reviewers and even Microsoft are showing some pretty silly stuff. Why on earth would you say "Xbox, go home" with the controller in your hand? There is no legit reason to do that. However, when you don't have the controller in your hand it's a whole other question!

I think after a while many of us who won't unplug the Kinect (looking at you, Keith! :D) will find a balance between using the controller and using the voice. Some things are no doubt simpler to do with controller, some things are easier to do with voice (like snapping). Many of the things that are easier to do on controller also become relevant when you necessarily don't have the controller in hand. Just from my own life I can come up with several situations where I might use voice commands when I've yet to pick up the controller. It might not be a whole lot faster, but I think the "Xbox, on" command is a great example of that while I still arrange my snacks and energy drinks and make room on the couch that is too often filled with clothes and pillows lol :D

But I guess what I'm saying is that obviously they try to show the functionality as widely as possible, but just many of the scenarios arn't very realistic. That however doesn't mean that there would be no viable scenarios for it!

Yeah imagine you're doing something with your hands like building a PC or folding laundry. I don't know about you guys but I don't keep the controller in my hand whenever I'm in the TV room, it's going to be nice to move around without having to go for the controller. You can use whichever you prefer, the additional choice is nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05