Probably the most anticipated launch game for the Xbox One unless Dead Rising is more of your thing. Unfortunately, reviews aren't looking so hot right now.

Ryse: Son of Rome for Xbox One Reviews - Metacritic
    Vallos likes this.
    11-21-2013 08:11 AM
    Briefly reading the reviews, it reminds me of the first Assassins Creed. Tried and true combat system with breathtaking visuals, but repetitive. If this is the case, then I expect the next iteration to be much better. Having said that, I've read and seen enough for me to get this title.
    Last edited by Vallos; 11-21-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    11-21-2013 08:28 AM
    Ryse: Son of Rome: The Kotaku Review

The Kotaku review...

Briefly reading the reviews, it reminds me of the first Assassins Creed. Tried and true combat system with breathtaking visuals, but repetitive. If this is the case, then I expect the next iteration to be much better. Having said that, I've read and seen enough for me to get this title.
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing... It was Ryse or Dead Risiing 3 as my extra game (geting Ghosts and Forza 5) but, if you played an of the other ones, it's the same game (get from point A to point B in a time window with some extras in path), but, Ryse looks different and a show piece for the Xbox one. Still might just download demos of both to see what I like better before buying a digital download of it..
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 11-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    11-21-2013 09:03 AM
    Absolutely agree with you Vallos. It does indeed look to be AC mixed with Call of Duty.

Having read nothing buy Simon Scarrow books for the past 6 months, I'm really getting excited to play this. Visuals look amazing.
    11-21-2013 09:09 AM
    Yeah, not exactly surprising reviews. I do hope that the franchise gets more games where they can address many of the issues, just like AC got much better over time.

That said, many things are a bit limited if you want to keep even somewhat true to the historical setting.. Some reviewers complained that in comparison to other hack n slash games, you only have the sword and shield and the pilum here. I mean.. you can't really give Marius a halberd or an axe if you want to keep true to the whole roman soldier thing. But I guess the combat could still be addressed so that at least that would give more variety or at least so that pulling off those executions was harder. The "perfect blocking" and "perfect hits" offer some challenge to get right, but when the executions happen whether or not you get it right makes it a bit meh, I guess.

I'm sure I would personally enjoy the game, but even before reviews I knew I wouldn't buy this game for full price. The franchise/setting has to be REALLLLLY interesting for me to consider buying a mainly single player game for full price. But I'm still excited to perhaps pick this up second hand eventually. It does look absolutely gorgeous, even better than many PS4 titles.
    11-21-2013 09:09 AM
    If I keep my XB1, I will definitely pick this title up.
    Last edited by eric12341; 11-22-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    11-21-2013 09:47 AM
    Yeah I read some reviews this morning. This has me a little worried about getting Ryse or not. I watched IGN stream some DR3 yesterday it looked cool. But again it is a point A to point B type of game or just do whatever you want and have fun. I want a game with a good story. I don't care for a game that is raunchy from what I have scene from a mission in DR3. Ryse on the other hand is a totally new game for me. I have never really played a game like it. But they say it gets repetitive. For me it feels like DR3 would also get repetitive. Errr... decisions... decisions...
    11-21-2013 10:20 AM
    I watched the same videos and I agree it looked like great fun so I don't get their reviews. Oh well, it is still a must have for me.
    11-21-2013 10:41 AM
    Yeah, not exactly surprising reviews. I do hope that the franchise gets more games where they can address many of the issues, just like AC got much better over time.
    It did? I didn't find ACII a legitimate step up from the first game, and I've heard nothing good about III and IV, really. Are Brotherhood and Revelations really that awesome that they make up for two crappy successors?
    11-21-2013 11:24 PM
    Far as AC goes, I thought 2 was a nice step up (especially for a yearly release), but now it's literally turned into Madden. Ubisoft literally just throws a random new feature in every game these days, while quietly removing another feature from previous games. Then they will bring back that old feature and chalk it up as new.
    11-22-2013 10:02 AM
    Well, the second game was 2 years after the first. My issue has always been a weak combat system, along with frustrations in movement. I was actually playing the second game, since it was a Games With Gold offering, just to finish up the last of my Achievements (like collecting the feathers and finding The Truth clips, got all but No-Hitter done). While I had quite a bit of fun fighting and stuff, the combat system is still really boring after a while, and when I was trying to do one of the races, my guy would decide to change course stupidly almost every time (but the last one, when I actually finished the thing). I'm hoping to eventually play Brotherhood and Revelations (both are in my house right now), but when my franchise-loving teacher says she thinks that Black Flag a great PIRATE game but a terrible Assassin's Creed game (a sentiment most reviews share), I question the point. III is supposedly bad as well, and I'd rather not sink 100 hours into the two games just to get to two massive disappointments.

Ryse is an interesting case for me. It does strike me as a mash-up of Assassin's Creed and God of War, because it has the latter's gore and over-the-top fighting, but it appears to have the former's redundancy and bland combat system. Sure, animations are great and dynamic, but when they say that executions are down to two buttons, I ask "why?" They shoudl have used that new D-Pad and made them fighting game-style executions, where you have to pull off bigger combos for bigger finishing moves, something to make the killing of enemies an engaging experience.
    Vallos likes this.
    11-22-2013 10:50 AM
    I've just been playing Ryse for the past couple of hours. Visually, it's fantastic and shows off the power of the new machine wonderfully. The game play up to this point is fairly straight forward, you just need decent co-ordination of using the attack/block/push/avoid buttons. The executions are fun, and there's enough of them not to be bored of seeing them. The narrative of the storyline is well done, nicely blending the action with cut scenes.

Yes, the game play is simple, but it's rewarding.
    11-22-2013 11:52 AM
    Sometimes when I buy a game, the reviews for that game are god awful, but I still enjoy it a lot. I'm very excited for Ryse!
    11-22-2013 11:55 AM