Xbox One Teardown

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
iFixit is tearing down the Xbox One Xbox One Teardown - iFixit

What have we learned so far? The hard drive isn't bound my any stupid proprietary connectors, but is simply an off the shelf Samsung 2.5" drive. To upgrade it you would need to void the warranty by opening up the Xbox One, but no one is sure yet that upgrading the drive is possible since there doesn't seem to be a way to get the OS on the new drive.

Looking at this: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/system-update-operating-system I'm now thinking it is possible to upgrade the drive, just need someone to actually try it out.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
5400 RPM drive?!? im 51% sure the 360 uses a 7200 one.

If it's possible, which i dont see why it wouldnt be getting a little creative. I would love to replace this with a SSD when they come down in price.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
5400 RPM drive?!? im 51% sure the 360 uses a 7200 one.

If it's possible, which i dont see why it wouldnt be getting a little creative. I would love to replace this with a SSD when they come down in price.

I was surprised to find out both PS4 and X1 have a 5400 RPM drive. I can't really come up with any good explanation for this other than price and I think it's probably not the best place to cheap out on considering these are strictly HDD-loading devices and the disc is there just for DRM checking..

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
the motherboard is very underwhelming.

The more and more i see, i think this gen of consoles will be very short. PS5 and Xbox 2 out by 2018!

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
We need them to attempt an HDD replacement. We need it. I'd personally forgo it altogether, since externals are supported (eventually). MAYBE I'd do a swap to a bigger HDD or a comparably-sized SSD (if they drastically drop in price) after my warranty was up, but I wouldn't pop my console open until that warranty is gone.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
We need them to attempt an HDD replacement. We need it. I'd personally forgo it altogether, since externals are supported (eventually). MAYBE I'd do a swap to a bigger HDD or a comparably-sized SSD (if they drastically drop in price) after my warranty was up, but I wouldn't pop my console open until that warranty is gone.

I figure one or two modding sites will try it before the day is out.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
See, while that's neat and all, there's a BIG issue to sort still. That's the legality of this. We know this voids the warranty, so most of us would wait until the warranty expired to do this (which is probably about the time the drive will get filled up). What we don't know is if Microsoft will punish users for doing this. If I remember correctly, people would crack open the 360's drives and swap then out for a bigger one, and they'd get mod-related console bans. Luckily, I won't be considering this (since I don't have the console, let alone 10 games for it) for a long while, so I can wait and see what happens to others.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I don't see this as a recommendation, but more of finding out if its possible. I certainly wouldn't risk it and rather wait for the presumed external hard drive update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234