06-28-2014 05:56 PM
49 12
tools
    Is there a list somewhere of the robotic commands I need to recite to get it to work?
    commandsxb1.jpg
    Click to enlarge.

Remember that there should be a pause between the Xbox and the rest of the command even if the list doesn't really imply that (a comma would've helped realize that, probably).
    11-24-2013 08:41 AM
    Make sure it's at least 3 feet away from any speakers if I recall the directions correctly.
    THEN calibrate it, and make sure you turn your volume up loud when it says to. People seem to miss that part from what I've seen.
    Now try to speak as clearly as possible, but don't yell the commands.

If none of that improves anything then I don't know, is your open area have clear walls? Maybe it's too echoy, get some pictures or something? :)

Also I'm reusing my Kinect 1.0 TV mount and it works pretty well. You remove the part the Kinect 1.0 attaches to, underneat that is a screw that's the same thread as the Kinect 2.0. Use that to screw it onto the Kinect 1.0 flat slide part and slide it in. It doesn't lock but it goes pretty far back in and you can just put a little tape on it if you want. Mines pretty firmly there though and the cord holds it in as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Kinec...pUvbUpU2234784

wp_20131124_005.jpg
    wp_20131124_006.jpg
    wp_20131124_003.jpg

It looks like it's perched precariously on the edge, but it's screwed into a plate that's slid all the way to the back and sandwiched to the TV. Like I said, a little tape (slide plate to shell) would make it firm but I'm not worried about it.
    Last edited by oldpueblo; 12-02-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    Vallos and tk-093 like this.
    11-24-2013 07:36 PM
    Works great with my Jawbone Era. Use this to reply in coming text all the time.
    11-24-2013 07:45 PM
    Make sure it's at least 3 feet away from any speakers if I recall the directions correctly.
    THEN calibrate it, and make sure you turn your volume up loud when it says to. People seem to miss that part from what I've seen.
    Now try to speak as clearly as possible, but don't yell the commands.

If none of that improves anything then I don't know, is your open area have clear walls? Maybe it's too echoy, get some pictures or something? :)

Also I'm reusing my Kinect 1.0 TV mount and it works pretty well. You remove the part the Kinect 1.0 attaches to, underneat that is a screw that's the same thread as the Kinect 2.0. Use that to screw it onto the Kinect 1.0 flat slide part and slide it in. It doesn't lock but it goes pretty far back in and you can just put a little tape on it if you want. Mines pretty firmly there though and the cord holds it in as well.

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Kinect TV Mount: Video Games

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20131124_005.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	50591

Name:	WP_20131124_006.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	50592

Name:	WP_20131124_003.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	50593

It looks like it's perched precariously on the edge, but it's screwed into a plate that's slid all the way to the back and sandwiched to the TV. Like I said, a little tape (slide plate to shell) would make it firm but I'm not worried about it.
    Awesome, I appreciate the ideas! I will order something to try and mount it on top like this and hope it makes things better.
    11-24-2013 08:44 PM
    There's a few possible problems:

2) You could try relocating Kinect and running setup again. Many people say that doing this (while having the TV volume high during setup) has greatly enhanced the outcome if they've had problems
    I haven't had that problem at all, although when I had a blu ray playing so loud I could barely hear myself talk I had to yell for it to hear me.
    Is there a way to do the Kinect setup with other sound (TV) in the background? When i tried, the Xbox was complaining ther room wasn't quiet enough. The only way to proceed was to keep have no other audio (including PC off to silence fan)

I think this may be my problem. My TV is wall mounted, so the Kinect sits below it. It sounds like placing on on to of the TV

The Xbox one Kinect tv mount is available starting on Dec. 4 which will make mounting the kinect on a tv easier...
    Although not an official Microsoft stand, it looks like one is available for Kinect 2.0 from ORB via Amazon UK for 18.43.

Now to decide if i should wait for 4 Dec for the official stand (assuming its available globally on the 4th) or go with this ORB one.
    Last edited by Salem874; 11-26-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    11-26-2013 05:24 AM
    I'm very curious to find out who much people (those for whom it works well) use voice control compared to more conventional methods - especially after a few weeks/months, once the initial novelty has worn off. I will keep watching this forum!
    11-27-2013 05:35 AM
    I haven't had problems. Its worked 90% of the time. Turn your volume up high when you calibrate the audio. Good luck, and let us know if you fix the problem!
    11-27-2013 09:51 AM
    I'm very curious to find out who much people (those for whom it works well) use voice control compared to more conventional methods - especially after a few weeks/months, once the initial novelty has worn off. I will keep watching this forum!
    I would think that it's sorta similar to device with touch screen and keyboard/mouse. There are certain tasks that are more efficient with mouse and keyboard, but there are also tasks that are easier/nicer to do with the touch screen. You don't NEED the touch screen for anything, but it enhances the experience with those certain things.

Given, voice control is a bit more niche than a touchscreen, I admit, but I'm pretty sure there are those handful of things that will be convenient with voice control too, even when initial novelty wears off.
    11-27-2013 09:56 AM
    i might have to see if my local Walmart has any Kinect 1.0 mounts in stock and go that route. My voice controls seem to be pretty dang good, but it's not perfect. However it is sitting right on the top of my front speaker so I need to move it away from that.
    11-27-2013 09:58 AM
    I was watching this video on my laptop while my xbox was on. He opened a few apps, and almost shutdown my console (the yes didnt register).

Thought it was pretty funny.

11-27-2013 10:12 AM
    Given, voice control is a bit more niche than a touchscreen, I admit, but I'm pretty sure there are those handful of things that will be convenient with voice control too, even when initial novelty wears off.
    That's exactly what I would like to find out. :-)
    11-27-2013 10:15 AM
    Like some others have said, calibrate the Kinect with the speakers turned way up. Like, WAY up. There will be a point where it will tell you that the speakers are too loud for calibration, so gradually lower the volume from there and keep trying until it works. You want it to be as loud as possible (I can't emphasize this enough). I read this tip from someone on Twitter yesterday and immediately tried it out. The difference is seriously night and day. Before I had to yell three times to get it to work, but now I can just speak the command in my regular voice, and it will get it 99% of the time.
    11-27-2013 10:52 AM
    I would think that it's sorta similar to device with touch screen and keyboard/mouse. There are certain tasks that are more efficient with mouse and keyboard, but there are also tasks that are easier/nicer to do with the touch screen. You don't NEED the touch screen for anything, but it enhances the experience with those certain things.

This is exactly how I see it, I don't plan on using the voice commands exclusively. Just when it adds convenience. We've all lost the remote or plunked down on the couch and then realized the remote is across the room, etc. Maybe you're up wandering around the room and rather than run back to the remote to pause something or change the channel you just speak it out. Maybe someone else has the remote and instead of asking them to pause it you can just do it yourself, same vocal effort. That's when it can be useful and supplementary.

I'll add this video which can be helpful, it looks like whether or not you're looking at the kinect might actually influence whether or not you're being ignored.

Start at 10:20 when they talk about "engagement".
    11-27-2013 03:28 PM
    So, I don't know what everyone else's experiences are so far, but I've found using the kinect voice commands to be pretty much useless.

the only time I can get them to possibly work, is when the room is DEAD quiet. No one else can be speaking in another room, there can't be any background noise, and I have to say the commands perfectly like a robot.

ive run through the setup multiple times now thinking I did something wrong, but apparently it just ain't that smart....

my my wife pretty much told me I wasted our money lol
    I've noticed I have to talk louder the louder the background noise of the room is, but that's all and obviously makes sense. If it's quiet I can say any command in normal tone of voice and it responds 99% of the time. I was actually pleasantly surprised after reviews made it seem like it worked only half the time. Took a few minutes to get the commands down but now it's super easy. Regardless it's not a must-have feature ...just a cool addition if you can use it.
    11-28-2013 03:51 PM
    Still doesn't work for crap....

I bought the Xbox Media Remote and I never speak to this piece of junk anymore. Maybe one day Microsoft will figure out how to make something that the average person can actually use and you don't need to be an IT worker to figure out.

Like for example - make the damn thing understand normal speech - until then it's a gimmick.
    06-18-2014 04:10 PM
    Do you have a crazy accent or something? I never have issues with voice commands other then when its off and trying to use "xbox on". That will take me 2 or 3 tries.

IT worker to figure out? It has one wizard you run, and then it's setup...
    06-18-2014 04:18 PM
    Mine's pretty inconsistent. The "Xbox On" has about a 20-25% success rate, with most attempts ending in using the controller to turn it on. Switching games works 95% of the time. The rest is rather hit-and-miss, with maybe a 50-50 shot that it works the first time.
    06-18-2014 04:39 PM
    I think his problem is that he is using the wrong commands and/or commands in wrong places. That said, there is a built in tutorial for it too.. But for his defense, even after having the X1 since january, my fiancee still doesn't quite grasp at times that when you are in "Xbox select", you can only command things lit up in green unless you add in the "Xbox"-command again. Then there's some inconsistency with some of the commands, but I never really had much problems with those.

Everything except "Xbox on" is pretty dead accurate for me except if there's a lot of background noise (mostly other people talking). Then "xbox turn off" depends on the patch. It seems that it works every other patch and every other patch it won't lol. I rarely bother with "Xbox on" cos I probably have like 25% success rate with it too, but I use the voice commands other than that extensively.
    06-18-2014 05:13 PM
    I've found for the xbox on you have to say it as X___Box_____ON

with a hard ON

:P
    06-18-2014 05:20 PM
    I think his problem is that he is using the wrong commands and/or commands in wrong places. That said, there is a built in tutorial for it too.. But for his defense, even after having the X1 since january, my fiancee still doesn't quite grasp at times that when you are in "Xbox select", you can only command things lit up in green unless you add in the "Xbox"-command again. Then there's some inconsistency with some of the commands, but I never really had much problems with those.

Everything except "Xbox on" is pretty dead accurate for me except if there's a lot of background noise (mostly other people talking). Then "xbox turn off" depends on the patch. It seems that it works every other patch and every other patch it won't lol. I rarely bother with "Xbox on" cos I probably have like 25% success rate with it too, but I use the voice commands other than that extensively.
    I'm using all the right commands, but it just doesn't work consistently. It's also just like you're saying with your fiancee. My wife tries to use it and just gets annoyed because she says "Xbox" and all the sudden a menu appears and she wants to say "Watch XYZ". It doesn't work, it wants you to "select" an item #. That's confusing as hell to someone who is not tech saavy and not a natural way to interact with what you're looking at.

Just like the "Xbox Turn Off" command. You should be able to say "Xbox, Shutdown", "Xbox, Turn Off", "Xbox, Turn off TV". Any combination of "Turn off" should shut the damn thing off... you should not have to memorize commands, otherwise it's already a failure. People don't do well memorizing commands.
    06-19-2014 08:26 AM
    The thing to understand is that there can be multiple reasons it's not working consistently. You might actually be having a combination of four separate issues which all manifest as the same issue so it's hard to tell what the cause is. I'll give examples.

*You (not actually you but anybody) don't remember the exact commands or understand that not all commands work in every situation. The phrase Xbox and Xbox Watch TV (for example) are two separate phrases. If you only say Xbox then you will generally always have to say Select because you didn't give it a specific command the first time. You can't say Xbox then wait then say Watch TV because by saying Xbox only you have already moved yourself into a different voice menu. "Why can't it just understand the context I'm thinking of every time!" Well because it's not artificial intelligence and it (like any voice system) needs rules to differentiate between you saying Xbox in a conversation and it actually receiving a command to do something. In your example of "Just say Xbox Turn off", well that does work. When I say it to mine it turns off my Xbox One, my 360, my TV, and my soundbar. All four respond to that, because I have my stuff set up the way MS intended it to be. All in one, through the Xbone. But not everyone has their stuff set up "right". To add to this confusion Google decided to be a jerk and their YouTube app doesn't follow any of the standard Xbox voice commands. To do voice commands in the YouTube app you have to actually say "YouTube". Google's fault, not MS, etc.

*It's not calibrated properly. If it's not calibrated properly then it will definitely have a hard time hearing you, even things like room acoustics can mess it up. That's why you have to turn it up loud when you calibrate it, it needs to get a feel for the shape of the room, how sound travels, etc.

*There is too much ambient noise. If your TV sound isn't being sent through the Xbox then guess what, all that sound from the movie you're watching or the game you're playing is directly conflicting with the Xbox's ability to listen to you. If all sound is being channeled through the Xbox then it actually knows to cancel that sound out. This may not be your issue, but I know it is an issue for some. For example, that commercial that just aired where people's Xbox's are responding to the voice commands in the commercial. That wouldn't happen if the sound was coming through the Xbox itself. That's the way it was designed. If you set yours up in another way then you make it hard for it to determine if it's a legit command or not. Also yes, if there are other people in the room talking or the Kinect is near something else making a lot of noise, it's gonna get in the way. Same as phones and tablets.

*It's still voice command, not perfect on anyone's hardware yet. It's just how tech is right now. No voice system understand context perfectly every time. Until we have real actual artificial intelligence this is just not going to happen. We all have this issue, and it's just a by-product of the time we live in. That's why we have to learn the commands and the proper way to use them. It's not an MS issue, though they are adding more contextual understanding/natural language in the future. However, if people can't bother to learn how to use the tech they're given, then it's on them. We all know that person that can't ever figure out how to do something on their smartphone. It's because they refused to spend the time to learn it, read the manual, etc. That doesn't mean their smartphone is bad, they are just lazy. We live in a high tech world, people are absolutely expected to learn their stuff.
    MobileVortex likes this.
    06-19-2014 05:13 PM
    I think OP's point was not that "voice commands don't work while noise in coming out of tv" because this works perfectly fine since the xbox knows what's coming out of the tv. But "voice commands don't work while someone in your room is talking in your room" This has never worked for me. When my whole family is in the room, I have to make everyone shut up before I can say anything to the Xbox. When you have a lot of people over to play games or watch tv or whatever, this is a real pain.
    06-24-2014 02:32 PM
    Yes, when my daughter is having a fun time and making noise the Xbox won't hear me at all.

However, I can be brushing my teeth and (even with a mouth full of toothpaste) give the Xbox a command and it works every time. I can even change the channel from another room and it'll do it too (if I say it loud enough of course).
    06-25-2014 11:49 AM
    I havent had any issues with noise in my room when using Kinect. It picked my voice up just fine.
    06-28-2014 05:56 PM
49 12