Forza 5 is a new beast!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped the avatar skill level to rock bottom for these races. I'll pick up the best result that I can and then carry on with the series. Later on, when better tunes come out and the dravatars calm down, I'll come back and gold those races.

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So far, this game has become my justification for getting the Xbox One. I'm not even into racers and I find myself playing this for hours. I was getting frustrated at how out of control the assists left me feeling on some tracks, so I turned the major ones off and quickly realized that the reason it seemed like I wasn't in control is because if you drove the way I was driving in real life you'd be dead 10 times over...

Now, I'm slowly learning to drive without the assists and it's even more compelling.

Love this game. Still wouldn't call myself good at it, but it's loads of fun...

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Feel free to add me as a friend on Xbox if you like (GT is my user name). Hopefully my drivatar might be somewhat well-behaved.

But then again, I see that it's managed to achieve a "perfect drift", when I'm personally incapable of drifting....

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I was getting frustrated at how out of control the assists left me feeling on some tracks, so I turned the major ones off and quickly realized that the reason it seemed like I wasn't in control is because if you drove the way I was driving in real life you'd be dead 10 times over...

Now, I'm slowly learning to drive without the assists and it's even more compelling.

Love this game. Still wouldn't call myself good at it, but it's loads of fun...

Dude, same story for me on Forza 4. I actually got it for Christmas 2 years ago, but just started playing it a couple of months back, for the most part (played maybe 20 races in the nearly-2 years prior). I quickly was frustrated at how restricting the assists were, so I turned off the traction and stability controls (drifting is impossible with them on). I then had to get it through my head that I can't floor it at the start because I won't be able to get the car straight. Then I got up to the R2-class cars and had to learn that they are essentially too unstable to drive before about 4th gear, so I'd start using the manual transmission for those, because the cars was too much of a pain to drive in lower gears.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't drive with a manual transmission the whole time. I just can't. I liked PGR4 because it allowed you to have a hybrid transmission, where you could shift earlier than the automatic would, if you wanted. It's a good way to present a reasonable learning curve for a manual transmission. Asking me to jump in and know when to shift and figure out the timings well isn't going to go well. I can up-shift fine, but I forget to down-shift too much.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I can't drive with a manual transmission the whole time. I just can't. I liked PGR4 because it allowed you to have a hybrid transmission, where you could shift earlier than the automatic would, if you wanted. It's a good way to present a reasonable learning curve for a manual transmission. Asking me to jump in and know when to shift and figure out the timings well isn't going to go well. I can up-shift fine, but I forget to down-shift too much.

Lmao I understand, but I gotta say, it is really an art! The amount of control you have over the car is liberating! I believe Forza has that option available like pgr does? I'll look for it tonight but I think I accidentally had that on once!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Downshifting is a lot easier to judge than upshifting since you can do it at pretty much any time before you start putting the power into the turn exit.

Practice using a long straight and a hairpin bend (the first corner at Spa is a great example) and use rewind in a Free Play session (with no other cars in the race).

Use a low powered car to start with. Accelerate up to 4th gear, and then brake softly (quarter pressure or so). As the revs and speed drops, downshift until you come to a near stop. Use rewind and repeat. As you get used to it, brake harder and downshift quicker.

Then, do the same with the hairpin. You're aiming for brake in a straight line and downshift to the right gear for a corner (usually 2nd for 90 degree or sharper corners, 3rd for more open curves).

Brake and downshift in a straight line, coast around the corner using the gas to regulate your speed, and then feed in the power on the exit. Keep doing it (and follow the braking line on the track) until you get the "perfect turn" pop up and you know you're there.

You'll get the feel for it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not an issue of not knowing HOW to downshift, it's just forgetting to do it, haha. I'll have a tendency to be in 5th, get to the corner, brake, then not shift with it. I then try to come out of the corner in 5th...never goes all that well. I can do it if I want to learn, I'm just lazy about it. After playing the game heavily for 2 weeks to get Achievements, I just don't care too much anymore. I just want to get it done (someday).

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have been playing Forza 5 and really got into it. I used to like racing games but last 2-3 versions just did not do it for me. F5 though seems to be different. Yeah, Driveatars are definitely an interesting component here. :)

There are a few annoyances with it too though:

- Not enough tracks. Need more tracks. I expect they will show but they will be pay for content...
- ... which leads me to #2: after paying $60 for a game, it seems like there is too much push to micro transactions within the game, IMO
- There seems to be a lot of grinding needed to afford higher level cars due to game economics?

Here is a tip though: log on to rewards.forzamotorsport.net and check if you have any rewards. I did yesterday and found there is a cool 1,000,000 credits waiting for me and I am half way to next level already too. That helps a bit with #3 above...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe they are getting ready to push a free track pack dlc soon.

My problem is not about forgetting to downshift, it's just downshifting 1 gear too far haha. Really have to pay attention and get a feel for it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing Forza 5 and really got into it. I used to like racing games but last 2-3 versions just did not do it for me. F5 though seems to be different. Yeah, Driveatars are definitely an interesting component here. :)

There are a few annoyances with it too though:

- Not enough tracks. Need more tracks. I expect they will show but they will be pay for content...
- ... which leads me to #2: after paying $60 for a game, it seems like there is too much push to micro transactions within the game, IMO
- There seems to be a lot of grinding needed to afford higher level cars due to game economics?

Here is a tip though: log on to rewards.forzamotorsport.net and check if you have any rewards. I did yesterday and found there is a cool 1,000,000 credits waiting for me and I am half way to next level already too. That helps a bit with #3 above...

Thanks for the reward thing, I had 3,000,000 credits waiting for me for Forza 5, cool.

I agree 100%, I hit the 80 gold achivement last night (100% gold so far, only started playing over the weekend), and every race "We now return to...." is getting really old. You can only do the same track forwards and backwards so many times.

I wish it was like Forza 4, what was it like 70 tracks or so ? If they start hitting in game (single player) DLC for more tracks for $$$, I will be pissed off, we should of gotten more tracks for $60....

I normally go back to Forza games but, this one after all the achivements, I dont think I will play it again due to the lack of tracks...

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've found switching up the classes keeps the tracks interesting, going from a class D set up to a class A then down to a C back up to S. The way the cars handle and the different braking points make the races seem different enough to keep me interested.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reward thing, I had 3,000,000 credits waiting for me for Forza 5, cool.

I agree 100%, I hit the 80 gold achivement last night (100% gold so far, only started playing over the weekend), and every race "We now return to...." is getting really old. You can only do the same track forwards and backwards so many times.

I wish it was like Forza 4, what was it like 70 tracks or so ? If they start hitting in game (single player) DLC for more tracks for $$$, I will be pissed off, we should of gotten more tracks for $60....

I normally go back to Forza games but, this one after all the achivements, I dont think I will play it again due to the lack of tracks...

You don't play online???

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, there's no way of driving against your own drivatar.

Well, I guess you could do if you played with someone else's gamertag.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have so far managed a 3rd and 2nd place finishes in my first 5 races.

Can anyone tell me how can I buy a new car? Every time I get into the game it takes me straight to the current race I'm on in Career Mode. Am I locked into the race sequence?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When you go to the next race, just go to the "quit" option (the right most option). This should take you back to your garage. Use "B" to back out and you should be able to buy cars under the "Car" option.

I don't have my xbox in front of me, so can't be specific, but my vagueness might help.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
When you go to the next race, just go to the "quit" option (the right most option). This should take you back to your garage. Use "B" to back out and you should be able to buy cars under the "Car" option.

I don't have my xbox in front of me, so can't be specific, but my vagueness might help.

That's one complaint I have about Forza 5. The menus are not intuitive. Why do I have to select "continue" and load the next race just so I can quit and go back to the menu? It's a huge waste of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte