XBOX ONE - TV stuttering in Europe

K3NCentral

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,
if you use the XBOX's TV function in Europe it may cause a stuttering picture. This is very annoying especially when watching sports. The cause seems to be the broadcast system here in Europe (@ 50Hz) while the default output of the XBOX is 60Hz. However there is no problem in the US cause their broadcasting system is 60Hz based.

Details and more information here:
Xbox One TV Integration Broken For UK & Europe: Sky 50Hz Stutter

Fix (hopefully temporarily) here:
Xbox One Can Be Forced To Output 50Hz To Fix UK TV Judder

No I can watch the champions league games today smoothly. :cool:

PZ K3N

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Just curious - what is the point of routing HDMI through the xbox? The only reason I can think of is if you don't have a spare HDMI port on your TV. Is there another reason? Also, does the xbox do some framerate conversion or something else with the video (I doubt that would be allowed for services using HDCP, which will certainly include Sky Sports as mentioned in the article)? I assume not - it's just that the xbox sends the wrong framerate signalling alongside the video.
BTW, the first article is wrong to say that 50fps is used because of PAL and SECAM. It's used because mains electricity systems in Europe use 50Hz alternating current, and in the US it's 60Hz. The values were chosen to avoid interference with between TV and mains systems. PAL (and probably SECAM) can be and is used at 60Hz (*) in some countries.

K3NCentral

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you are right. I don't know why it's stuttering but its really annoying.

I'm routing my TV through the box because I don't have to switch input methods on my TV and receiver. Another point is that you can play a game and still have the TV snapped or like I used it on Sunday, watching NFL while have the NFL app, with my fantasy team, snapped. I think it's nice to have the feature. Some will use it some not.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yep, it's a pain. I really wish that the Xbox would have a proper HDMI passthrough while in full screen TV mode. It's also pretty annoying that I can't watch TV with the Xbox turned off.

Before I bought the X1, I had all of my inputs going through a surround sound box that I used as the selector (Sky TV, Xbox 360 and BluRay player).

I've ordered a HDMI splitter so that I'll be able to bypass the X1 while the Xbox is off. At which point, I'll have to have a good think about what lead goes where.

K3NCentral

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have/had nearly the same setup with X360, PS3, TV-Box and Plex Mediaserver connected to my surround system and TV. Everything controlled with my Harmony (broken a few days ago). Cause I don't care if my X1 is running I ordered a splitter to connect all devices through the X1. For testing only of course. :wink: But if it works the way I want maybe I leave it like that. Who knows! :cool:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
What exactly does it do when it stutters? I got mine yesterday and set it up (United States) and my TV was flickering. The best way I can explain it was it was like it was getting rapidly turned off and on.

I fixed it by trying a different HDMI cable and BAM, all smooth again.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What exactly does it do when it stutters? I got mine yesterday and set it up (United States) and my TV was flickering. The best way I can explain it was it was like it was getting rapidly turned off and on.

Its not like this. It's noticeable at the end of programs when you have a list of credits scroll slowly up the screen. Here in the UK, the credits will noticeably "step" up the screen rather than scroll smoothly.

K3NCentral

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
What exactly does it do when it stutters?.
Hmm that's a hard one! :grin: It's not flickering (on - off - on - off) it's more like the picture is stopping for every ~66,66ms for ~16,66ms (sry if my calculations are wrong). It's only a issue here in Europe. I read the XBOX ONE - TV FAQ in which they described your issue. They recommended that to set the output of the TV Box from 1080p to 720p or, like you did try another HDMI cable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa