FIFA 14 on Xbox One: What Game Modes Does It Have?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have never played FIFA before, but I downloaded the demo and it seems pretty fun. However, I see that many long-time FIFA players are very upset with FIFA 14 on the next-gen consoles because they're missing some modes (particularly one called Tournament mode). I've read reviews of FIFA 14 on many sites but none of the reviewers really state much about what modes are in FIFA 14 next-gen and what ways you can play (on a side note, why are 'professional' reviews so crappy? It's ridiculous that I read 10 reviews on ten supposedly professional gaming sites and I have almost no idea on what I can or cannot do in FIFA 14).

Can someone either explain to me what multiplayer modes are in this game and how that'll let me play? I'd like to play both offline with friends in the same room, and online (both co-op and competitive) with and against friends, but I'd like those matches to count towards something (i.e. like achievements) rather than just be exhibition matches that don't mean anything. Does FIFA 14 next-gen allow me to do that?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Internet Search:

FIFA Soccer 14 Review (Xbox One) - Operation Sports

"All of the modes that FIFA has shown in the past are accounted for on Xbox One, save for leagues and tournaments . . . FIFA Ultimate Team . . . is as versatile as ever, allowing you to pop in and out of single-player and multi-player matches and change-up your players and chemistry balance when out of the action.

Career mode continues to provide lots of time-wasting potential, as you can attack it from either the player or manager angle. Dealing with news and transfers is a breeze in the mode (especially compared to the cumbersome menus and interface of NHL 14's career offering), and it's still satisfying to focus on just one player and levelling up your stats. As in the current-gen version, there's a lot more guesswork with the players now, and you'll have to take stock of your scouting to get a more accurate assessment on potential recruits.

Online modes abound in FIFA 14 on Xbox One, with pro club games, seasons (now with co-op), friendlies and FUT matches."

I know nothing of FIFA, have no Xbox One, and haven't played a soccer game since 2006 or 2007 (the FIFA World Cup game from the 2006 incarnation). That's just what I could quickly find to give you a little something of what's going on in the game. Hope it helps.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Internet Search:

FIFA Soccer 14 Review (Xbox One) - Operation Sports

"All of the modes that FIFA has shown in the past are accounted for on Xbox One, save for leagues and tournaments . . . FIFA Ultimate Team . . . is as versatile as ever, allowing you to pop in and out of single-player and multi-player matches and change-up your players and chemistry balance when out of the action.

Career mode continues to provide lots of time-wasting potential, as you can attack it from either the player or manager angle. Dealing with news and transfers is a breeze in the mode (especially compared to the cumbersome menus and interface of NHL 14's career offering), and it's still satisfying to focus on just one player and levelling up your stats. As in the current-gen version, there's a lot more guesswork with the players now, and you'll have to take stock of your scouting to get a more accurate assessment on potential recruits.

Online modes abound in FIFA 14 on Xbox One, with pro club games, seasons (now with co-op), friendlies and FUT matches."

I know nothing of FIFA, have no Xbox One, and haven't played a soccer game since 2006 or 2007 (the FIFA World Cup game from the 2006 incarnation). That's just what I could quickly find to give you a little something of what's going on in the game. Hope it helps.

Thanks, yeah, I saw similar stuff in all of the professional reviews I read, but none of them explain what any of those modes are. The review you linked to at least goes into some detail about a few of the modes, so that helps. I also know nothing about FIFA, so when they say that it 'has all of the modes' from past FIFA games, I don't know what that means, but it sounds nice, until they say it doesn't have leagues and tournaments, well, okay, what do you do in leagues and tournaments? Career mode explained above, I get, but I don't know how multiplayer works in all of these modes. I heard that you can't play online with another person next to you (i.e. two people on your couch vs. people elsewhere) in this version. It makes it sound like I can play a co-op 'season' mode online with a friend. If that's true, that could be fun.

By the way, how'd you like the 2006 FIFA World Cup game? I'm deciding between FIFA 14 (but just trying to find out what features it has since many fans online are blowing up about it), waiting for the FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 game, or just waiting till FIFA 15 when they, I hope, re-implement some of these features absent from FIFA 14.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm admittedly not much of a soccer person, but I liked it well enough. I just don't follow the sport at all, so I have no idea who anyone is, beyond a few names I hear on ESPN. I'll watch the World Cup (I did in 2006), but seeing as we're talking about a game 8 years ago, comparing one to the other isn't exactly apples-to-apples. Odds are, you'll get FIFA 14 graphics and physics with World Cup rosters, a world Cup game mode, and maybe a few other "fun" modes, perhaps like Ultimate Team.

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have similar unanswered questions. Can you play with international teams or only clubs? How many international teams are there?

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Fifa 14 on Xbox one but I do have it on my ps3. Based on that I can tell you what modes you will certainly have. So for online multiplayer, you've got a lot of options. You can make your own player, then join a club with other created players. In this mode you only control your player, other team mates will control theirs and the rest will be just run by the system or CPU or whatever you wanna call that. You will play against other clubs with players created by other people. In this mode your player starts ok but gradually becomes better at things you practice. When you first create your player you will not be a part of any club so you can play as a 'drop in' player with other players like you in a drop in/temporary team. Then there is the 'seasons' mode, where you control the whole team while you play online against another player controlling another team, you can't create your teams/clubs in this mode, you choose from clubs/international teams that already exist in real world. If you want to create your own team, you can play the FIFA Ultimate Team, this can get really expensive so I don't really recommend it, can be a waste of money. You buy players and trade and stuff and basically act like the manager of the team. There's a co-op seasons mode exactly like seasons except here you team up with your online friend to play against another pair online, you can switch between players in the whole team so you don't just control two players in the whole game. If you wanna play 1v1 with your friend online, there's an online friendlies mode for that, you control all players in your team. On top of my head these are the online modes I can remember.

For offline, you got the good old classic kick off exhibition match mode. That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if you got anymore questions.

And I've been playing FIFA for 7 years continuously, and I don't remember what tournament mode you're referring to. Honestly there are so many modes now, I probably don't remember everything from older games but none of the good modes are missing as far as I know. This is all based on Fifa 14 for ps3 tho so I'm hoping they didn't remove any features in the next generation version for ps4/x1 ( wouldn't make sense).

cooldudefred

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
The person above explained it extremely well. However he did miss out on a few points. The tournament mode was when you picked a real life tournament,such as the fa cap,and played the tournament through to the end. In the Xbox One game this was removed. Offline there is also a career mode where one can choose to manage a team or create a player. You play through a season and in the transfer windows you can make signings. Players stats will grow or fall depending on age and potential. I have been playing FIFA for years and I think the Xbox One game is the best FIFA ever. If you buy it im sure you will love it.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Love the game but my biggest complaint remains that they cut out online team friendlies. Previously I could connect with 2 friends from my friends list and play a 2 on 1 game online. Now they have this feature to promote 1v1 or 2v2. Biggest complaint by far from me and my friends.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay, it sounds like the modes that would best suit me are Seasons mode and Co-op Seasons mode. Ultimate mode and Create a Player mode seem way too involved.

So, in the Seasons and Co-op Seasons modes, I can be any professional soccer team I want (ranging from say the LA Galaxy in MLS to Liverpool in the Premiere League?), or I can be any country I want (a la the World Cup), and then I can progress towards the championship for the league that that team is in (e.g. the MLS cup or the World Cup). And I can do this offline, or I can go online and play against a random stranger? Can I also go online against my friend (i.e. can I choose to play against him every time?). Can I do a mix and match of both offline and online? That is, say it takes 10 games to win the World Cup, can I play 4 of them offline and 6 of them online, in a combination of single player offline, multiplayer offline (i.e. can I play offline Seasons matches against my wife on our couch?), multiplayer online (against a stranger), and multiplayer online (against a friend I choose)?

And how about Co-Op Season mode? Is it the same options as what I wrote above? Do my friend and I play together on the same team throughout (meaning that we have to play all the games online together to advance)? Can I have multiple 'seasons' going on, say my own Seasons game save and a Co-op Seasons game save simultansously?

It sucks that they removed Tournament Mode--that seems like the mode I would've enjoyed the most as it's not too involved and it seemed to have a lot of multiplayer options (particularly the offline multiplayer option and online options seemed really fun). The really complext FUT modes and whatnot, that just seems really involved. I don't know enough about soccer to be able to do all of that. I just want the squads all set up for me and then play some casual (but still count towards some goal) games with friends.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, it sounds like the modes that would best suit me are Seasons mode and Co-op Seasons mode. Ultimate mode and Create a Player mode seem way too involved.

So, in the Seasons and Co-op Seasons modes, I can be any professional soccer team I want (ranging from say the LA Galaxy in MLS to Liverpool in the Premiere League?), or I can be any country I want (a la the World Cup), and then I can progress towards the championship for the league that that team is in (e.g. the MLS cup or the World Cup). And I can do this offline, or I can go online and play against a random stranger? Can I also go online against my friend (i.e. can I choose to play against him every time?). Can I do a mix and match of both offline and online? That is, say it takes 10 games to win the World Cup, can I play 4 of them offline and 6 of them online, in a combination of single player offline, multiplayer offline (i.e. can I play offline Seasons matches against my wife on our couch?), multiplayer online (against a stranger), and multiplayer online (against a friend I choose)?

And how about Co-Op Season mode? Is it the same options as what I wrote above? Do my friend and I play together on the same team throughout (meaning that we have to play all the games online together to advance)? Can I have multiple 'seasons' going on, say my own Seasons game save and a Co-op Seasons game save simultansously?

It sucks that they removed Tournament Mode--that seems like the mode I would've enjoyed the most as it's not too involved and it seemed to have a lot of multiplayer options (particularly the offline multiplayer option and online options seemed really fun). The really complext FUT modes and whatnot, that just seems really involved. I don't know enough about soccer to be able to do all of that. I just want the squads all set up for me and then play some casual (but still count towards some goal) games with friends.

In seasons and co-op seasons, you can either chose a club (MLS or EPL or whatever) or you can choose an international team. If you choose an international team, you wont necessarily play against another international team online, I mean you will be matched against any random person's team regardless of what team you chose, although there are ways to narrow down the opposing teams. You do progress towards the league title, in seasons mode you have 10 divisions. You start with division 10, in each division the max number of games you can play is 10. You get 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw and none for a loss. Each division has a minimum number of points required to progress to higher division. So you have 10 games to accumulate those points if you wanna get promoted to higher division, if you accumulate too many points in that division you can also win the division title (like 20 points I think, varies from division to division). If your total points after 10 games fall between a certain range (like 12-16 points) you will stay in that division, if points are below that range you get demoted to lower division (10 is lowest and 1 is highest). Depending on what division you are in, you can enter cups/tournaments on certain days chosen by EA. Co-op seasons is almost the same except you play in pairs.

In seasons or co-op seasons, you can't play against friends, you've got online friendlies mode for that (not too sure about co-op seasons tho, never tried playing 2v2 against friends so someone correct me if I'm wrong). The game matches you against strangers online with same team quality and same division (again not sure if it matches the division but difficulty definitely increases as you go higher through the divisions). You can change your team after EVERY match in seasons and co-op seasons. If you wanna do this offline, then there are different modes for that. You cannot do a mix of both offline and online. Separate modes, separately accumulated points. Also, seasons and co-op seasons are separate modes.

The mode I play the most is seasons and online friendlies against friends. Seasons is actually just like a quick online match, except the results and points matter when it comes to getting promoted/demoted later.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for that detailed explanation. So, if me and one friend from afar by this game, we have two options for playing online. We can do a Co-Op Seasons mode together, in which case we'll be on the same team playing against other human beings who are also doing co-op (i.e. 2 vs 2)? Or, can we play together against the computer (i.e. me and my friend are on the same team, playing online since we don't live near each other, but we are playing computer opponents)?

Otherwise the other option we have to play together is me and my friend can play against each other in online friendlies (meaning, our games don't really count toward anything, which would be disappointing)?

Sorry for so many questions. I've never played any FIFA game before. I hope they put Tournament mode back into FIFA 15, that mode sounded nice and simple.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I believe co-op seasons can only be played against 2 other online people.
The friendlies count, you play a certain number of matches with the same friend (I think 5). You gather points just like seasons. You have to reach certain number of points (like 12 or something) to win against your friend. In the end its like a of best of 5 matches or something like that. Points are separately accumulated against different friends, so points gathered from winning against one friend in a friendly won't add up to points won from another friend.

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
playing fifa for years, but seriously dissapointed EA left out 2popular modes, offline tournament mode and online 2vs2/teamplay.
online season is ok and I am playing it (now heading to Div5), but playing eg online 5vs5 is no possible, same as it's quite painful to play with your friends. in the past it would be just a minute to enter lobby, create game where all your friends can join in.

I am sure EA will put them back to fifa 15 and anounce as new features. ****** disgrace.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
playing fifa for years, but seriously dissapointed EA left out 2popular modes, offline tournament mode and online 2vs2/teamplay.
online season is ok and I am playing it (now heading to Div5), but playing eg online 5vs5 is no possible, same as it's quite painful to play with your friends. in the past it would be just a minute to enter lobby, create game where all your friends can join in.

I am sure EA will put them back to fifa 15 and anounce as new features. ****** disgrace.

Yeah, I was disappointed too: I've never played a FIFA game before, but was going to buy FIFA 14 at launch (just kind of sick fo NBA and NFL sports games, so I wanted a change), but as I'd only be a casual gamer, I was shocked to learn that they basically removed the two modes that I probably would've played the most. So, I decided to hold off until FIFA World Cup 2014. I hope they add those modes back in. Plus, as I don't know much about soccer, I think I would enjoy the World Cup game more because it would be easier for me to relate or identify with various countries, as opposed to, what would be to me, obscure European soccer clubs. Any idea on a release date for the World Cup game?

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
You can play International clubs in Fifa14 as well, it's not a problem. :)
I doubt they will add those modes back in so late. Fifa 15 should be out in sept/oct, so I'd expect EA will hold on and put them back just into next version...

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You can play International clubs in Fifa14 as well, it's not a problem. :)
I doubt they will add those modes back in so late. Fifa 15 should be out in sept/oct, so I'd expect EA will hold on and put them back just into next version...

My understanding is that you can only do that in more complex career or season modes, and even then, you don't really get to choose your nation, right? You can't just boot up the game, and then easily play a multiplayer match with two people on the couch (or two people online) where I get to choose any country I want and so does my friend, right?

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
You can choose national teams inn whatever mode you want. Just boot up online or offline game and choose england, brazil, spain or other favorite national team. That's it. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo