Black Friday Has Been a HUGE Success for Xbox One

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
This topic initially started with the rumor that Walmart had more Xbox One units, than they had PS4 units for sale leading into the Black Friday week. Well the sales numbers are already in, and . . . well just read them for yourselves.

Microsoft?s Xbox One wins early sales battle on Black Friday
Microsoft's Xbox One wins early sales battle on Black Friday | GamesBeat | Games | by Dean Takahashi

Xbox One Sold Out, PS4 Sold Out After Black Friday Sales
Xbox One Sold Out, PS4 Sold Out After Black Friday Sales - Daily Game

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't take those numbers as absolute but a 16% lead is significant. Contrary to what the article states, with a 16% lead there will be no console war. It's already over.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
From what I've been reading the Xbox seems to need some functionality updates fairly sharpish, like how there's currently no way to monitor your storage on the device. Glad to see it's selling well though.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't take those numbers as absolute but a 16% lead is significant. Contrary to what the article states, with a 16% lead there will be no console war. It's already over.

Not true in the slightest. the Xbox 360 outsold the PS3 by a mile at the onset (given the lower price), and the Wii blew the competition away early on, but the PS3 and Xbox 360 basically tied at the end, and they mostly caught up to the Wii by the end (not in overall sales, but in late-cycle sales). If both are selling out, and Microsoft just has more stock, it's one thing. We'll have to see how the sales charts looks when supply > demand.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Remember this is Sony's EU launch weekend, they are intentionally not supplying US stores right now. I'm pretty sure a lot of people bought XBox One because they were impatient and just couldn't wait a few weeks until PS4 stock got replenished. Not that's a bad thing, just saying.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Smart move by MS. Let Sony have Europe for now.

The XBO is strongest (functionality-wise) in the United States. Sacrifice some EU sales and focus on getting those holiday buyers in the US. Buyers that might have bought a PS4 if it was in adequate supply.

One big aspect of the console war is going to be what console your friends are using. If most of your friends have an XBO, then you're probably going to buy one also so that you can play online with them.

Services like Bing, and cable box compatibility is also stronger in the US for now. So MS has a little time to get those things improved before putting a major push for the EU.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Like I always say regarding PS4 sales too, this means nothing else except they had more of Xbox One in stock. Now when PS4 outsells Xbox One in Europe, it's largely the same thing, they had more to sell there.

We really need to wait well into next year before we can really start comparing any numbers. Until supply catches up to demand, the one who makes more, sells more.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I used to have both consoles, PS3 and 360. As of about a year ago I will only go Xbox. I had a huge problem with a movie download on Playstation network at the time and it was something they could not resolve and it was an issue on their end as I had no issues downloading 2 other movies the same day. When I called customer support and they could not fix the issue I asked for a refund. The initial person said that they could not do that so I asked for a supervisor. After about 30 minutes on hold for a sup a kid gets on the phone with a snot nose tone of they would not do anything for me. It sounded like they had a party going on in the background which I asked about and the response I got was "We work hard so we play hard too". The second part of the statement I agree with not the first. I was basically was told to go F myself. I emailed the CEO of Sony with my story and all I got was a voucher in my email for a free movie rental when I wanted a refund for a movie I was unable to watch. After all of this I will never give Sony another dime of my money period. Who knows maybe others have been having the same issues with customer support and the numbers are starting to catch up with the lack thereof.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
As true as I wish this was, Xbox One availability has been way better than PS4 in stores. They just don't have PS4 stock available to sell.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Like I always say regarding PS4 sales too, this means nothing else except they had more of Xbox One in stock. Now when PS4 outsells Xbox One in Europe, it's largely the same thing, they had more to sell there.

We really need to wait well into next year before we can really start comparing any numbers. Until supply catches up to demand, the one who makes more, sells more.

I think it does mean something.

It gives us a glimpse into what the strategy is for MS and Sony.

You're right that it doesn't say anything about who is a "winner" or "loser", but that really doesn't matter anyway.

What this tells me is that MS believes that they need to be strong in N. America. more than anywhere else. In the short term, they're willing to concede Europe in order to try to get a significant market share of early adopters here in the US.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it does mean something.

It gives us a glimpse into what the strategy is for MS and Sony.

You're right that it doesn't say anything about who is a "winner" or "loser", but that really doesn't matter anyway.

What this tells me is that MS believes that they need to be strong in N. America. more than anywhere else. In the short term, they're willing to concede Europe in order to try to get a significant market share of early adopters here in the US.
Mmh, its interesting to look that theory next to the fact that in EU,depending of country, customers are showered with free games and 2nd controller, while NA customers get nothing but.. Availability?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
What's interesting is that currently (best guess at least) that there are somewhere between 3.5-4 million Wii U's around the world. Microsoft and Sony have already half-way caught up to those figures in 3 or 4 weeks of being released.

Granted, the Wii U sold through their initial stock too, and have sold maybe 1.5-2 million worldwide since. We'll see where these systems are this time next year.

if they are both dangling around 3 million - world wide (which I don't think they will be) that'll be bad. But, if they can get into the 5-7+ million range things will be great for both consoles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3