Was Xbox one worth the wait

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Well should I get one? Is it enough of a step up from 360? Is it worth the $500 price tag? Any problems. I know they're hard to find right now. Just wondering.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Your local Best Buy should have a few dozen of them today! It is quite awesome! If you are in a crunch for money, don't get it yet. But if you've got the money right now definitely get it! The controller itself is enough for me to upgrade. That and Forza. What games are you planning on purchasing?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered an XB1 from BB and order got messed up so I was unable to pick it up on release day. About 5 days later I get a call from them telling me the unit was there. After giving it some thought I told them just let it go to someone else.

The more I thought about it I came to the conclusion the XB360 still fit my needs perfectly. I may get one down the road but I feel I made the correct decision. Hell, I even got a $50.00 gift cert. from them for the original order issue which wasn't even their fault. It was my cc company. The Fraud Prevention people flagged the transaction.

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If it's something you have to agonize over, don't do it. Ultimately, it's just a toy. Right now it's a toy in beta. A lot of room for improvement (apps/games occasionally crash, functionality is incomplete, some of it needs to be thought out better and/or streamlined).

Is it cool, yeah. Am I glad I got mine. Yeah. I also had $150 gift cert at the MS store and bought it at a time when I could afford it. Neither the XB1 or the PS4 are worth losing sleep over, and even if they were, they'll be around for years and only get better with age.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I love mine. For me, games are kinda thin right now. I've never been into Call of Duty or Battlefield, nor am I fond of driving games so right now I just have DR3, which is awesome.

WG Rowland

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think the price is going to drop? They're selling the thing at pretty much cost now. The price isn't going to change until they improve the manufacturing process and can make it cheaper.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If there is gonna be a price drop, they usually announce those at E3, so not unil like June.

I think that's pushing it too. I wouldn't expect any price drops at all until at least late 2014. As you saw on the site, they sold 1 million on the first day and dominated in Black Friday, so if demand is strong at the current price point, why would they lower it? Unless Sony has a significantly higher market share, I don't think they have any reason to drop it.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Don't bother..yet.

Pros
You get the latest right now! so you can tell ppl about it and experience the VERY limited games
Erm..that's it!

Cons
Limited Games
Hardware and software glitches
Software not optimised, you are essentially paying a lot more to be their 'ginea pigs'
Depending on the country you are in the TV guide (big USP) will not work in your country until 2014

Over the PS4 and Xbox i am definitely getting the Xbox - i had it on preorder and after looking at the issues, cancelled it and decided to wait (the same reason i waited until the Surface Pro 2came out) i wont die if i wait until the pros far out weigh the cons.

Having said all that i understand if you cant control the itch of wanting it now..many cant!

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
There won't drop the price as long as people are buying it (and it is selling like hotcakes apparently) and not until it releases in all their targeted territories. Which probably won't be 'completed' until at least after the summer in 2014.

I'd expect a price drop announcement (barring any crazy circumstances) to be announced sometime around E3 2015.

The big question is - who can risk a price drop more - Sony with the cheaper system - but higher cost of building materials or Microsoft with the more expensive system, but with internals that aren't as pricey to manufacture as the PS4...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think that's pushing it too. I wouldn't expect any price drops at all until at least late 2014. As you saw on the site, they sold 1 million on the first day and dominated in Black Friday, so if demand is strong at the current price point, why would they lower it? Unless Sony has a significantly higher market share, I don't think they have any reason to drop it.

Oh, I totally agree that this E3 is too soon as well. Was just saying when a price cut comes, it will likely be at an E3.

We will have Titanfall, Project Spark, and possibly Halo 5 next year to push console sales so I doubt a pricecut happens this year.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
My mistakes, At first it was rumored to drop after xmas. Now it is being speculated to drop in the spring. I will not wait till spring to get mine. I will get it soon™

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it WILL be worth it once Titanfall launches and beyond. Right now, I couldn't convince myself to drop $500 for what is a bunch of rushed (Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4) and crippled (Forza 5, all seventh-gen ports like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and sports games) games. Once the quality and quantity of games goes up, I'd say it's a worthwhile buy.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My mistakes, At first it was rumored to drop after xmas. Now it is being speculated to drop in the spring. I will not wait till spring to get mine. I will get it soon™

You really think there will be a price drop that soon? Why? Doesn't make sense since people are buying it now. Price drops happen when sales slow to perk up consumer interest. You don't cut the price when people are buying it at your current price.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
im curious, what's crippled about Forza?

Did you not see the image comparisons? They cut the graphics WAY back after E3, turning 3-D crowds into the generic 2-D ones you see on the 360, and the overall look is downgraded (foliage is supposedly much worse, not that I care). There are comparison pictures all over the place. It's not so much that I'm a graphics connoisseur, but when they brag about how it's 1080p and 60 FPS and make it look gorgeous in demos and commercials, downgrading the visuals to a noticeable degree (even if it's mostly-minor detail stuff) is frustrating. I'd be rater disappointed if I saw all of the nice, pretty stuff, got the game, and wondered where it all went in the first race.

The thing that REALLY makes me mad about the stuff, though, is the car and track counts. They can make whatever excuse they like, but it's 100% obvious that it is a money grab for car packs. Forza 4 had 500+ cars and 26 tracks. Forza 5 has 207 cars and 14 tracks, and they cut out Nurburgring? That's garbage. For the record, Gran Turismo 6 is expected to carry 33 tracks and over 1,200 cars. Yeah, more than twice the tracks and 6 times the cars, if not more. They're also giving players features like variable time of day and weather, and there's going to be a feature that uses mobile GPS to create custom tracks based on where you drive in real life.

They can talk up poly counts and physics improvements in Forza 5 all they want, but when they say that such things are the reason for more than halving the car count, then they come back with Day One DLC, a $50 season pass with 60 more cars, and have that absurd token system (which launched with charging something like $100 to unlock some cars), it's clear that they're worrying more about money than releasing a stellar product. I hated Gran Turismo 4, I rented it once on PS2 and wanted to throw it into a fire. However, I don't believe that Forza 5 is going to be better than Gran Turismo 6 to the extent that it will justify such a dearth of content and asinine costs for cars. Heck, I don't even buy that it's a big-enough improvement over Forza 4 to justify all of the lost content.

I personally won't be getting Forza 5 because of this. Half the content, PLUS a $50 season pass that doesn't even bring it back to par? I got about 25% through the Forza 4 Event List before I had to take a break because it was such a redundant chore, having to go through the same tracks and race in the same cars (for the manufacturer thing). With half the tracks, I don't see how it gets anything but worse on the redundancy front.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site

If history is any indication, the price will not drop for at least a year, and by then, probably not that much--$50 maybe, but I'd rather pay that extra $50 now and enjoy the console for a whole extra year. Lots of great games are already out and many more will come out before the price is even close to dropping. Why wait?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12