Rant: MS wanted to charge me ?500 for a replacement console

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They arent charging him for repairs. They are sending him a brand new console, so they are putting a hold on his account until they get the broken one back.

If he sent it in for repairs it would take at least two weeks (he sends it in, they fix it, and send it back). They gave him an option of basically overnighting a brand new console and putting a hold on his account (btw never do this with debit cards only credit cards.) until they get the broken one back (just incase he is scamming them.)

That's not what it was - they were going to send one by courier which could take 3-5 days the courier would then give me the packaging in order for me to call another courier to come and pick it up. The point I made to him is when they had the problem with the 360's getting the RROD the same courier that dropped the new one off took the faulty one away. What rang alarm bells for me was the fact they were going to "Hold" that ?500 until my old unit was verified it was faulty - in my head that's ?500 taken over the phone then on the Saturday the replacement wouldn't arrive until the Friday at the latest which would also mean losing a days money at work - I then have to arrange a courier that if lucky I get to come on the Monday which also means losing another days money at working waiting for the pickup - that then takes 3-5 days to reach MS support so that's the following Friday at the latest. The following week its Christmas meaning no one would be there to check the fault due to the Christmas break. Give it a few more working days if they work in between Christmas and New Year and that's ?500 out of my account for between 3 and 4 weeks due to it probably taking a couple of days for the bank to transfer the money back. That's just not acceptable to me for a new console that hadn't even had 24 hours of use.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
They arent charging him for repairs. They are sending him a brand new console, so they are putting a hold on his account until they get the broken one back.

If he sent it in for repairs it would take at least two weeks (he sends it in, they fix it, and send it back). They gave him an option of basically overnighting a brand new console and putting a hold on his account (btw never do this with debit cards only credit cards.) until they get the broken one back (just incase he is scamming them.)

The point was that all they would have to do is take the old one and replace it with the new at the same time. There's no reason for a deposit. Especially one that's more than what you paid for the console. It's also presumptuous to assume that someone would have that kind of money just lingering around in their account or on credit.

On top of that I've personally had issues in the past where I had a company hold fund for weeks. I'm not saying MS would do this but do you start to see the issues?

Add to the fact that there's a shortage in stores (which they know about) and you start to see why people would get upset. As a consumer, this is poor practice. I see no reason for a company to do this. I simply wouldn't deal with one that did this ever again, especially with a brand new product.

Now, like I said, maybe you don't see the issue, I however do and I know many others who would feel the same. I highly doubt that you would get much sympathy from the general consumer for MS. If it's a faulty product people want it replaced, immediately, no BS, no strings attached, just fix the damn thing.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The point was that all they would have to do is take the old one and replace it with the new at the same time. There's no reason for a deposit. Especially one that's more than what you paid for the console. It's also presumptuous to assume that someone would have that kind of money just lingering around in their account or on credit.

On top of that I've personally had issues in the past where I had a company hold fund for weeks. I'm not saying MS would do this but do you start to see the issues?

Add to the fact that there's a shortage in stores (which they know about) and you start to see why people would get upset. As a consumer, this is poor practice. I see no reason for a company to do this. I simply wouldn't deal with one that did this ever again, especially with a brand new product.

Now, like I said, maybe you don't see the issue, I however do and I know many others who would feel the same. I highly doubt that you would get much sympathy from the general consumer for MS. If it's a faulty product people want it replaced, immediately, no BS, no strings attached, just fix the damn thing.
How could Microsoft replace it at the same time? They have to get the damn thing first.

I don't understand the problem. He could send it in and wait or not. That's how my router, my Lumia 920, and my laptop got replaced. Yea it sucks you gotta wait but **** that's life. Being an early adopter sucks.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How could Microsoft replace it at the same time? They have to get the damn thing first.

I don't understand the problem. He could send it in and wait or not. That's how my router, my Lumia 920, and my laptop got replaced. Yea it sucks you gotta wait but **** that's life. Being an early adopter sucks.

Please read my post before N_LaRue's.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you don't mind paying twice for something. You're right, not everyone would feel the same way, hell, like martinmc78 they'd be pissed. Personally I would be more than pissed. I'd be asking for their supervisor and then the manager. If I didn't get that, I'd would be taking it to the press.

There is no reason to take a a ?500 deposit to 'repair' something. I sent my laptop in for repairs. They didn't ask for a deposit or carrier fee and it was almost out of warranty.

There is no reason at all for the way they handled the situation considering how new the console was. Regardless of where he bought the console from, MS provides the warranty.

I'm pretty sure paying would imply you don't get the money back. I don't mind cos I would get my money back :p

EDIT: Although, I've never had to go through a process like this, so perhaps if I would have to go through one and they fe. would hold my money for an excessive period, I might join the crowd that wouldn't agree to an agreement like this, so maybe I'm naive enough to not worry about this for now.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
the practice of not trusting the customer is normal, and acceptable.
you won't get a new car shipped to you from Ford, if you call and say it will not start.

there is a vetting process to prevent theft, which means the customer waits.

the easy and noon dramatic option is to return to store, exchange or buy new(or don't), move on.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So you are telling me they wouldn't do the "we send you a shipping label, you send in the console, we fix it and give you one back within how ever many business days" option? Here in the states they give you those two options.

Yes I had the option to send it in for repair but that would take up to 3-4 weeks to get the console back to me. The way I was looking at it I was going to be 3-4 weeks without a console or 3-4 weeks without the money. Neither way is acceptable. UK law for purchases is different as I stated, going back to either the retailer or manufacturer with faulty goods should be an immediate exchange for new or full refund.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I do not see an issue with their approach. Of course, why didn't you take it back to the place of purchase? I just wrote about this earlier when dealing with CS and not getting S&^%%Y with them:

1. They are likely not getting paid very much.
2. They have irrate people screaming in their ear all day.

Given those two things in combination they don't give a damm about you or your problem. Better to just be civil.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I do not see an issue with their approach. Of course, why didn't you take it back to the place of purchase? I just wrote about this earlier when dealing with CS and not getting S&^%%Y with them:

1. They are likely not getting paid very much.
2. They have irrate people screaming in their ear all day.

Given those two things in combination they don't give a damm about you or your problem. Better to just be civil.

Did you even read the original post? I called the original place of purchase, they told me to speak to MS support and when they didn't offer an appropriate response I went back the to original place of purchase.

You don't see an issue with having ?500 disappearing from your bank account for 3 weeks because they decide to do things in the most inefficient way possible?

As for being civil with customer service ops that's fine as long as they actually provide you with customer service. I got customer service from Game for which I was grateful and appreciative. All I got from MS was the feeling I was on a scam and about to get scammed myself. I was expecting the reverse which is what got my back up more than anything. I wasn't screaming at the CS rep either, I was frustrated and let it show in my tone.

Screaming at people is for drill sergeants and 13 year olds playing COD

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
A lot of companies do this, they put a temp hold on a credit card that is released once they recive the item. I can understand it from a business aspect because there will be fraud and there will ALWAYS be someone trying to get something for nothing.

Still there should be a better way to do this or at least word it.

They we not charging you, they were putting a hold on it...If you didn't return it in XXX time, it would be a charge. There is a difference.

I dont agree with it but, this is what credit cards are for, just as a temp hold...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A lot of companies do this, they put a temp hold on a credit card that is released once they recive the item. I can understand it from a business aspect because there will be fraud and there will ALWAYS be someone trying to get something for nothing.

Still there should be a better way to do this or at least word it.

They we not charging you, they were putting a hold on it...If you didn't return it in XXX time, it would be a charge. There is a difference.

I dont agree with it but, this is what credit cards are for, just as a temp hold...

Tell you what, the next time I have to do something like this let me use your card. You don't seem to have an issue with a company holding onto whatever amount they want for whatever period of time. Sorry, but this happened to me once and I never went back to that company again as they conveniently 'forgot' to reimburse my card after the period of time they said they would hold it. Anytime I see this type of service now I refuse to deal with that company. If they're happy to take my money they can provide me service otherwise I'm not interested.

As for other services where this is the norm then you have to deal with it. This is a product. Not a car rental. I can understand a hold on funds with that situation.

As for the car comment, you obviously didn't read the OP, if I bought a new car I would expect it to get fixed immediately and have a temp car to use until such time it is fixed or replaced if it was defective. This is inline with the OP.

See the problem here is, people wonder why service is going down hill is because we all take crap from companies. You're assumed a criminal until they think you're not. Sorry, not the type of company I want to deal with. If I buy a new product and register it then go through the motions of determining it's defective with said company than I want a new one if its within the new period. If this is the way MS is going then I'm going to seriously think twice about any of their products. I was considering a Surface 2, now I'm not so sure.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Either way the traditional warranty through manufacturer would be you send it in, you get a fixed one/new one within a certain amount of time. That's how every single warranty repair has ever worked for me.

With retailers its bring it there get a new one within a certain time frame and proof of purchase.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Either way the traditional warranty through manufacturer would be you send it in, you get a fixed one/new one within a certain amount of time. That's how every single warranty repair has ever worked for me.

With retailers its bring it there get a new one within a certain time frame and proof of purchase.

I've personally probably never dealt with manufacturer directly, it's always been the retailer who has taken care of the warranty part for me.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Tell you what, the next time I have to do something like this let me use your card. You don't seem to have an issue with a company holding onto whatever amount they want for whatever period of time. Sorry, but this happened to me once and I never went back to that company again as they conveniently 'forgot' to reimburse my card after the period of time they said they would hold it. Anytime I see this type of service now I refuse to deal with that company. If they're happy to take my money they can provide me service otherwise I'm not interested.

Get over it, this is the way business runs. They gave the OP a few options.

1. Send it in for repair and they will send back a replacement (could take 2 or so weeks in the real world)
2. If you want an advance replacment, you need to put a deposit down.
3. Return to the store for replacement

Ok, on your concept, You make an item, it gets broken in shipment, It cost you $450 out of pocket, are you going to send them an replacement item with out anything securing the option of getting it back when you know there is a good percentage that you could never get the item back ? Yea, right. Personally, I wouldn't

The OP has his option, I understand as a company standpoint, that they would requre that. Sad to say, there are a lot of people who would take avanage of this and not send the old system back and they do wreck it for the honest people. By putting this deposit down, it assures that the person would return the old one.

I've had to do this in the past for Computer hard drives, normally the hold is less than the value of the item. And I have never seen them acutally hold it, They get a pre-auth on the card, so you might see your balance drop for a few days, then it drops off. I am not sure how MS would do it. Normally when they get the item, they release it, so if you send it out right away, you would only be short on your account for a few days.

Yes, I can see why the OP is upset and I would be too but, still the fact of the matter on a high value item like this, I can totaly understand why they ask of this.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I understand the frustration of it not working. But the process is reasonable and completely normal. You did have the option to take it back for a full refund, or you can go through the process of getting it repaired/replaced with the processes in place. It's annoying, yes, but not anything I haven't had to do in the last 20 years.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I do phone support for another company. This hold charge thing is commonplace. From their POV, they get calls ALL the time, where a customer may be lying about damage just to get another device. I can't speak for the UK, but I could see this being worse PR in the States as you *know* someone would play the race card if MSFT said:
"Well, we have to charge you a hold sir"
"But you didn't do a hold with my buddy!"
"Well sir, (insert reason that would prevent trusting the customer will return it here)"
"No, I think it's because I'm (insert race/religion/orientation here)! That's BLANKIST!"

This policy sucks yes, but there are two sides to everything. I'd imagine there could be a better way, and this guy you spoke with worded this like an *****. I usually say something along the lines I told you, minus the race card stuff. I mean, ultimately there is no charge though. Don't know how that works with that UK law you mention though.

I mean, they couldn't really take out an insurance policy that would cover "Well, we gave all these people XB1's and they promised they would give back their non-working ones, but those 10% of the non-working ones didn't come back..." Sucks, but some people usually ruin things for everyone.

I guess they *could* blacklist the old XB1, but I mean, as it isn't online 24/7 anymore (I personally prefer that tbh), they could use it for offline mode, or sell it to someone who doesn't know to check. Could even use it to block a friend's XB1 if they pretend they're the other person enough.

Sorry if this isn't how to respond to these rants, but as a customer service rep myself, I guess I'm ranting too...

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I can understand the policy of placing a charge during cross shipping. They have to protect themselves from fraud. That is commonly practiced by other companies as well. So while it's a large amount, that's the price you pay for the luxury of a cross shipped item.

Sent from my GT-I9100

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

As for other services where this is the norm then you have to deal with it. This is a product. Not a car rental. I can understand a hold on funds with that situation.

As for the car comment, you obviously didn't read the OP, if I bought a new car I would expect it to get fixed immediately and have a temp car to use until such time it is fixed or replaced if it was defective. This is inline with the OP.

See the problem here is, people wonder why service is going down hill is because we all take crap from companies. You're assumed a criminal until they think you're not. Sorry, not the type of company I want to deal with. If I buy a new product and register it then go through the motions of determining it's defective with said company than I want a new one if its within the new period. If this is the way MS is going then I'm going to seriously think twice about any of their products. I was considering a Surface 2, now I'm not so sure.

This isn't a car where you take it back to the dealer so your emotionally charged analogy is incorrect. He has the option of returning it for a full refund or exchange at the store if they have any on hand (and they did). Your flawed analogy is akin to driving my brand new Toyota to their HQ and asking for a new car or loaner on the spot. Sorry but businesses have to protect themselves because there are a lot unscrupulous individuals out there. Don't like the policy? Then try going to Sony and see what they say.

Sent from my GT-I9100

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Uhhh, it wasn't faulty? Lol...Sounds like user error to me. Testing after a Friday night **** up is never a good idea is the moral of this story.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss