What if I install an Xbox One game from a disc but then buy the digital version?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I rented Dead Rising 3 for Xbox One and fell in love with it. Now I want to buy it, but I only want to buy digital games (since I want to utilize the hot swapping features of Kinect). Is this a problem since I installed the game from a rental disc? Or will the console recognize that I own the digital rights to the game (if I buy it from the Xbox store) and no longer prompt me to "insert game disc" after I send the rental disc back? Will it require me to uninstall the game and reinstall it from the store? Are they different versions of the game? My fear is that I'll buy the digital version and it will be unplayable, or that I'll have to uninstall the current version and download and install the digital version instead.

jkidd01

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I suspect it will just update the rights to the game you have installed (since it's the same game), but confirmation would be nice.

I very highly doubt it would make the game unplayable though. Give it a shot and let us know.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I suspect it will just update the rights to the game you have installed (since it's the same game), but confirmation would be nice.

I very highly doubt it would make the game unplayable though. Give it a shot and let us know.

I tried contacting Xbox Support about it but they never responded. Will keep trying if no one here at WP can confirm it.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I rented Dead Rising 3 for Xbox One and fell in love with it. Now I want to buy it, but I only want to buy digital games (since I want to utilize the hot swapping features of Kinect). Is this a problem since I installed the game from a rental disc? Or will the console recognize that I own the digital rights to the game (if I buy it from the Xbox store) and no longer prompt me to "insert game disc" after I send the rental disc back? Will it require me to uninstall the game and reinstall it from the store? Are they different versions of the game? My fear is that I'll buy the digital version and it will be unplayable, or that I'll have to uninstall the current version and download and install the digital version instead.

When you go to launch it without the disc in it prompts you to go to insert the disc or go to the store to buy it

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It should just download the rights and assign you user and console licenses.

Basically the same as GoD works now on the Xbox 360, bit a but better since it shouldn't require a fresh download.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I can buy the digital version from the store and play it forever now without having to reinstall and without every getting prompted to reinsert the disc I installed it from. Good stuff.

Now for the other problem: the digital version costs $60 and the disc version costs $50. This is so frustrating. Digital games should be cheaper, but at the very least, they should cost the same--never more. Microsoft needs to allow third-party retailers to sell digital download codes.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I can buy the digital version from the store and play it forever now without having to reinstall and without every getting prompted to reinsert the disc I installed it from. Good stuff.

Now for the other problem: the digital version costs $60 and the disc version costs $50. This is so frustrating. Digital games should be cheaper, but at the very least, they should cost the same--never more. Microsoft needs to allow third-party retailers to sell digital download codes.

Yea, this is something Microsoft needs to address. I honestly like the digital versions of not having to hunt down a disc but, the fact of the matter is, I HAVE to be a budget minded gamer. If I don't, I wont be able to play 1/2 the games I play. This falls in the case why I will have to buy more games from retail, than digital, as it is cheaper in MOST cases.

Anyway about it, as there is No cost on digital games when it comes to media, cases, art work, shipping, returns, there SHOULD be a lower price on all digital games, even if it's $5 off retail.

This is one thing that bothers me here....

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the digital version of all my games and put my account on my son's xbox one so I can use the Kinect with large space. He has the disc versions of the same games as me (FM5, BF4 and AC4). I could play the all games without needing the disc in, seamlessly switching between the games as if it was on my own xbox.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea, this is something Microsoft needs to address. I honestly like the digital versions of not having to hunt down a disc but, the fact of the matter is, I HAVE to be a budget minded gamer. If I don't, I wont be able to play 1/2 the games I play. This falls in the case why I will have to buy more games from retail, than digital, as it is cheaper in MOST cases.

Anyway about it, as there is No cost on digital games when it comes to media, cases, art work, shipping, returns, there SHOULD be a lower price on all digital games, even if it's $5 off retail.

This is one thing that bothers me here....

If they want to discourage rentals and sales of used games, then they have to sell digital downloads for cheaper. As it is now, the only reason to buy the digital download is the convenience of not having to insert the disk. Every other aspect -- cost, being able to trade in, etc. -- heavily favors buying the disk. Plus, for digital downloads, they don't have to manufacture a case and paper insert for every copy. It only costs them a little bit of storage and bandwidth. It should be a few dollars cheaper for that reason alone.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If they want to discourage rentals and sales of used games, then they have to sell digital downloads for cheaper. As it is now, the only reason to buy the digital download is the convenience of not having to insert the disk. Every other aspect -- cost, being able to trade in, etc. -- heavily favors buying the disk. Plus, for digital downloads, they don't have to manufacture a case and paper insert for every copy. It only costs them a little bit of storage and bandwidth. It should be a few dollars cheaper for that reason alone.

My hunch is that they originally wanted to do this, but once Sony didn't follow suit with the same policies back at E3, Microsoft chickened out because they know that most people who buy games still 1. go to retail stores (so if they screwed over retailers by undercutting their prices, the retailers would screw over Xbox One by pushing PS4), 2. buy and sell used games (can't be done digitally, although Microsoft was trying to implement such a feature, no details of how it would've worked every came out). So, I think Microsoft realized if they undercut retailers like Best Buy, Walmart, Gamestop, etc. and rental services like GameFly and Redbox, that the Xbox One would be at a disadvantage in sales because retailers, which still hold a lot of clout, would screw them over any way they could simply because they would no longer be getting a piece of the pie. One way to mitigate this concern is to let third-party retailers sell digital download codes to games or to offer a price matching system through the digital Xbox One store. It sucks because right now I'm hesitant to buy DR3 digitally because it's already $11 cheaper in disc form and I've already gotten more than half of the achievements. I would've purchased the game already had there not been a pricing disparity.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Just an update that I broke down and bought the digital version of Dead Rising 3 even though it's $48 on Amazon and $59 in the Xbox One store. When I had the disc in the drive and went to the Store there wasn't an option listed to buy the game (as clearly I already owned it in some format), so it gave a "play" option instead. As soon as I ejected the disc the "play" option switched over to a buy option. I bought the game, it did an installation check and, because the game was already installed from the disc, it didn't have to download or install anything else new. I can now play the game without problem--i.e. I can say "Xbox, go to Dead Rising 3" and it'll play the game without asking me to put a disc in the drive, as you all suspected.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

They do. Gamestop has them.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
They do. Gamestop has them.

Only for DLC or Xbox One games that are already digital only (e.g. Halo Spartan Assault), and even then, not all of them. Nevermind that Gamestop never sells games at discount like Amazon or Wal-Mart do.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Only for DLC or Xbox One games that are already digital only (e.g. Halo Spartan Assault), and even then, not all of them. Nevermind that Gamestop never sells games at discount like Amazon or Wal-Mart do.

I saw Ryse, Forza, and Dead Rising download codes at my local gamestop. Yes, full games. Not just DLC or arcade games.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I saw Ryse, Forza, and Dead Rising download codes at my local gamestop. Yes, full games. Not just DLC or arcade games.

I just walked across the street to my local Gamestop and there weren't any. More importantly, though, if you go to Gamestop.com, there aren't any digital download codes for games for Xbox One (just DLC). Every retailer who sells disc-based games should be able to sell download codes. That way no retailer will lose out on sales (something MS is afraid of, as are retailers), and we'll be able to shop around for bargains rather than being stuck with Microsoft's digital monopoly.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just walked across the street to my local Gamestop and there weren't any. More importantly, though, if you go to Gamestop.com, there aren't any digital download codes for games for Xbox One (just DLC). Every retailer who sells disc-based games should be able to sell download codes. That way no retailer will lose out on sales (something MS is afraid of, as are retailers), and we'll be able to shop around for bargains rather than being stuck with Microsoft's digital monopoly.

Then either they were placeholders and they will get them in the future. I dont know. I was there to get my XO. First time i have been there in years and hopefully the last.

Maybe I was mistaken but im pretty sure thats what they were. If i go there again ill find out for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3