Controller no longer turns on Xbox One

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I got an Xbox One at launch in November and since setting it up I've been able to hold the top-centre Xbox button on the controller and it would turn on the controller and then turn on the Xbox. However in the last 2 or 3 weeks (possibly since the most recent update) this no longer works. I hold the button, the controller turns on but the Xbox does not. The only way I've found to turn on the Xbox is to press the button on the front of the Xbox itself (we don't have the 'Xbox turn on' voice command in Australia). I have tried with both the controllers I have connected. I have also checked the Xbox settings to ensure that it is still set to 'instant on'.

Has anyone else had this problem? You crazy people are probably turning it on with voice commands anyway.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I always use the "Xbox, on" command to turn on my Xbox One, but I tested it out right now using the controller's 'home' button like you said and it powered up my Xbox One without problem (and also powered up my TV and cable box). How are your controllers' functionality otherwise? Everything fine? My only other thought was that the batteries were dying? I'd recommend tweeting Xbox support (@XboxSupport); they're usually great about responding. Don't forget to tell them you're in the AUS market, though.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for checking that for me. The controllers seem fine otherwise. I have some spare batteries so I'll check that out today but I'm not hopeful, my 2nd controller has only been set up for about 3 weeks and it's been used maybe 3 times since then. Thanks for the Xbox Support suggestion too, time to figure out how this Twitter thing works, maybe commit a faux pas or two...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Weird. Try putting the controller right next to the XBox and see if it turns on. Maybe the signal it uses to turn on the XBone is different then the signal it users to actually link the controller to the XBone?

I know, lamest idea ever, but what have you go to lose. :smile: :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6