been trying to decide on the xbox one , think i am about to take the plunge

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
hey everyone , hope your all well and enjoying the new year . Well I have been an xbox user for years now and always loved them , I have flaunted with the ps3 and ps2 over the years as well but I always ended up on the xbox again , the original because of the great modding and the xbox 360 because I found it much better online then the ps3

now I have another choice to make , I can pick up the xbox one today in the uk with fifa 2014 and forza motorsport and an extra controller , I have just got a new 40" smart tv and its dying out for some next gen goodness lol

I have a few questions though

1) does anyone coming from the 360 regret the purchase at all
2) I am reading that every game has to be installed to the 500gb hardrive , now wont this cause problems in the future , I mean games are like 50gb in size right? can we use external drives or upgrade our drives in the future if need be? does this void warranty?
3) I am also reading that the plug through frature and tv guide etc is not working in the uk with freeview or sky is this correct? I really want this feature
4) I am also reading that the xbox doesn't play 3d blu rays can this be patched or is it a hardware limitation?

the xbox one is a lot of money here in the uk , I don't mind buying it if its good , a worthy purchase but if Microsoft aren't going to do anything about the 3d blu ray or release another modified version with 1tb and a blu ray drive that plays 3d blu ray then I might just wait and enjoy the 360 for a bit longer :-/

I don't really want to buy a ps4 as I enjoy microsofts eco system they are building up across tabs , smart phones , consoles , laptops and pcs ;-) I find skydrive great , my Lumia 1020 great and my laptop great so looking to add a next gen console into the mix to sit under the tv that communicates with everything well , offers top games and online play and has the smallest limitations to future development of tech and the console as it progresses ;-)

any feedback appreciated ;-) thanks ;-)

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: been tryuing to decide on the xbox one , think i am about to take the plunge

hey everyone , hope your all well and enjoying the new year . Well I have been an xbox user for years now and always loved them , I have flaunted with the ps3 and ps2 over the years as well but I always ended up on the xbox again , the original because of the great modding and the xbox 360 because I found it much better online then the ps3

now I have another choice to make , I can pick up the xbox one today in the uk with fifa 2014 and forza motorsport and an extra controller , I have just got a new 40" smart tv and its dying out for some next gen goodness lol

I have a few questions though

1) does anyone coming from the 360 regret the purchase at all
2) I am reading that every game has to be installed to the 500gb hardrive , now wont this cause problems in the future , I mean games are like 50gb in size right? can we use external drives or upgrade our drives in the future if need be? does this void warranty?
3) I am also reading that the plug through frature and tv guide etc is not working in the uk with freeview or sky is this correct? I really want this feature
4) I am also reading that the xbox doesn't play 3d blu rays can this be patched or is it a hardware limitation?

the xbox one is a lot of money here in the uk , I don't mind buying it if its good , a worthy purchase but if Microsoft aren't going to do anything about the 3d blu ray or release another modified version with 1tb and a blu ray drive that plays 3d blu ray then I might just wait and enjoy the 360 for a bit longer :-/

I don't really want to buy a ps4 as I enjoy microsofts eco system they are building up across tabs , smart phones , consoles , laptops and pcs ;-) I find skydrive great , my Lumia 1020 great and my laptop great so looking to add a next gen console into the mix to sit under the tv that communicates with everything well , offers top games and online play and has the smallest limitations to future development of tech and the console as it progresses ;-)

any feedback appreciated ;-) thanks ;-)

1) Don't have 360 or X1 so can't answer :p
2) External HDDs will be supported sometime this year, but not currently. Changing the internal HDD will void warranty, although is easily doable.
3) As far as I know, the TV guide indeed isn't working at this time (it's coming though), but the passthrough of TV works with anything that just has an HDMI-out. Be it your PC, 360, PS3 or your reciever box. Some UK peeps have reported issues due to different TV standards (somethign to do with 50hz vs. 60hz), but there was a way to fix that too.
4) I'd think it can be patched as the Xbox One was said to be 3D capable but it indeed doesnt do 3D blurays at this time, but I can't answer this for sure.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: been tryuing to decide on the xbox one , think i am about to take the plunge

Thanks mate appreciate the feedback , so personally are you loving the xbox one? I think I am gonna do it as I can pay half now and half over 12 months interest free ie I don't have to splash a big lump sum in one hit and got 12 months to pay the rest of when I want ;-)

cooldudefred

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site

Hi I am in the UK and am loving my Xbox One. The previous poster was absolutely correct in what he said and one can watch TV through it using sky and free view but there is no guide feature yet and the image can sometimes stutter due to different tv standards. It has the hardware to watch 3D Blu-Rays but cannot as of present. Microsoft have said they are going to patch this feature in in the near future. Trust me you won't regret your purchase and its great to have all my friends and achievements to carry over from 360.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

thanks mate , again really appreciate feedback from real users of the system , so obviously the Kinect is limited to what it can do regarding tv in the uk? ie I couldn't tell the xbox to switch to e4 like I will be able to in the future as I am guessing this will be guide related? or can you switch channels still with voice controls? that would be very handy , not essential but handy ;-)

is there any links regarding the 3d blu ray or external hard drives? these are the two main things I am worried about , running out of space on my hdd and another xbox one coming out with a different disc drive to the current one and it supporting 3d blu ray :-/

what games are people buying? I will be getting forza and fifa with it and was hoping to maybe buy battlefield 4 or maybe ryse instead although I have heard ryse is a bit short gameplay wise?

thanks peeps ;-)

jdom

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I absolutely love my Xbox One.
Voice controls work perfectly
Dish network works perfectly.
Awesome device

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

I bought mine spur of the moment after vowing to not buy anymore gaming consoles... Well, now I am playing Battlefield, COD, and Forza (which is fun as I am new to it not playing any of the others except MSR.. Kudos if you know it).

I like it, though there are areas for it to grow. Thought I have not played my PS3 since I purchased my xbox 1, I still think I have better games on it :)/ I am waiting for titan fall and something really good for a single player campaign.

The TV features are cool as it is always on. You can easily jump in and out of a game or app. It is just more home automation and quite cool to use.. Especially with a companion app.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

well I took the plunge and I must say I lost myself completely in forza for about what 6 hours straight , I have my free sat box wired into the xbox and it picks it up ok although it will be much better when the guide is working here in the uk

one thing that really disappoints me for a ''home entertainment system'' is the lack of dlna/connecting to my pc to share files ....... this is surely a major miss from Microsoft and I hope too see it added really soon , its old news now and a ?450 next gen console that doesn't have dlna kind of makes me scratch my head as does the separate apps for music cd and blu ray films?? luckily my smart tv connects to my media streaming app on my pc so I am not losing out but it would be nice to use the xbox to do it

I have only played forza so far and was quite impressed with it to be honest like I say I lost 6 hours in it and its now 2am in the morning and my work alarm is going to go off in about 4 hours max lol , I also installed fifa , bought halo and installed some other free to play games from the store

overall I am happy with the purchase although I would really like too see dlna added asap and the guide feature in the uk to be fixed asap

thanks for everyones responses it is much appreciated , if you want to add me on xbox live my name is buxz797 , be good to have some more forza and fifa buddys ;-)

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
There is the PlayTo feature that uses DLNA, but can only be initiated from PC to Xbox One. There are a few workarounds though, such as using your phone as a way of initiating the connection from PC to Xbox One (I recall one such app was called Skifta, not sure if for WP though).

But yes, better DLNA features are also on their way.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I just don't understand why Microsoft didn't build it in like the xbox 360 , it really does make me scratch my head in amazement , glad to hear something is coming in the near future though as a media hub for the front room really does need some dlna goodness to connect other devices in the household ie tablets , pcs , laptops etc etc

guess ill just have to use the xbox for gaming and tv and use my smart tv for streaming which is a shame when the xbox should do it really , looks like the Microsoft teams have their work cut out at the minute , windows phone needing some work and now the xbox one needing some work

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought mine spur of the moment after vowing to not buy anymore gaming consoles... Well, now I am playing Battlefield, COD, and Forza (which is fun as I am new to it not playing any of the others except MSR.. Kudos if you know it).

I like it, though there are areas for it to grow. Thought I have not played my PS3 since I purchased my xbox 1, I still think I have better games on it :)/ I am waiting for titan fall and something really good for a single player campaign.

The TV features are cool as it is always on. You can easily jump in and out of a game or app. It is just more home automation and quite cool to use.. Especially with a companion app.
metropolis street racer was actually a precursor to project Gotham racing, not forza ;);)

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Re 1) I came from X360 and don't regret, but need to say I am now on 3rd XBox One unit as previous 2 were faulty.
Re 2) Personally, I don't think you will be playing more than let say 10games at the time, so no need to keep the other ones on HDD, you can delete them and re-download later if hdd size is an issue. All achievements are stored on cloud, so no worry about loosing game progress.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Re 1) I came from X360 and don't regret, but need to say I am now on 3rd XBox One unit as previous 2 were faulty.
Re 2) Personally, I don't think you will be playing more than let say 10games at the time, so no need to keep the other ones on HDD, you can delete them and re-download later if hdd size is an issue. All achievements are stored on cloud, so no worry about loosing game progress.

what about game saves? also in the cloud? because starting games again can be a royal pain in the **** ;-) yeah I do get that youll get what 10/15 games on the hdd but don't forget that Microsoft advertise it as a media hub for the front room , I want to download movies , music , games , demos , record films and tv programmes when the tv guide works so I reckon I could fill up the hdd in a short while but I suppose I will cross that bridge when and if I come to it ;-)

cant wait to finish work and get back on forza and start my fifa career as lfc ;-) so tempted to buy battlefield as well lol

Jf.Vigor

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
what about game saves? also in the cloud? because starting games again can be a royal pain in the **** ;-) yeah I do get that youll get what 10/15 games on the hdd but don't forget that Microsoft advertise it as a media hub for the front room , I want to download movies , music , games , demos , record films and tv programmes when the tv guide works so I reckon I could fill up the hdd in a short while but I suppose I will cross that bridge when and if I come to it ;-)

cant wait to finish work and get back on forza and start my fifa career as lfc ;-) so tempted to buy battlefield as well lol
battlefield is the ****.As far as your concerns about mmemory...
music iis streamed
Movies are mostly streamed
Game DVR is saved on the cloud

You shouldn't have a problem

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
battlefield is the ****.As far as your concerns about mmemory...
music iis streamed
Movies are mostly streamed
Game DVR is saved on the cloud

You shouldn't have a problem

hey man, we got to get in the same party. I am getting better, but I need a good squad to play with in battlefield.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand why Microsoft didn't build it in like the xbox 360 , it really does make me scratch my head in amazement , glad to hear something is coming in the near future though as a media hub for the front room really does need some dlna goodness to connect other devices in the household ie tablets , pcs , laptops etc etc

guess ill just have to use the xbox for gaming and tv and use my smart tv for streaming which is a shame when the xbox should do it really , looks like the Microsoft teams have their work cut out at the minute , windows phone needing some work and now the xbox one needing some work

It's probably not that they didn't want to.. but cos they didn't get around to it yet.

It's not hard to notice that both consoles were rushed into the christmas 2013 season. Xbox One also went through the backtracking of the policies due to the public outcry, which probably made them re-do a lot and shift priorities around, which caused a lot of "basic features" to be pushed back. It's a bit stupid that features that were on 360 are no longer on the One, but it's just a matter of time. It's not like 360 had a fraction of all the features it has now, but I do understand that this is a poor justification to not have them on the One. But it's not a case of just "copy pasting them over to the One", you have to do them again from the scratch..

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

All games saves are stored in Cloud as well. When you are online your game data are always synced to cloud, so you can play offline and store your games saves offline in console and then once you get online it gets synced automatically to cloud. No worry, this works really well.

As for the media storage, it was answered already, all media are streamed, so no need to store anything and I don't think it is even possible to store anything else than DVRs to internal HDD.
Storage on the Xbox One | Check Storage Space on the Xbox One - Xbox.com

enjoy your fifa! I'm just on the online season, been relegated from Div8 to Div9 yesterday, but after 3 wins in a row I am on the way to be delegated to Div8 again. Glory, glory ManUnited :D

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks mate appreciate the feedback , so personally are you loving the xbox one? I think I am gonna do it as I can pay half now and half over 12 months interest free ie I don't have to splash a big lump sum in one hit and got 12 months to pay the rest of when I want ;-)

I LOVE the Xbox one! So glad I got it! I don't regret my 360 purchases, as I don't play those games anymore. I have ghosts, bf4, Ryse, Forza, FIFA, and need for speed, love them all! FIFA is a great game that is included in your package! You are lucky it is! USA doesn't do that. :'(